Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Big Move During A Pandemic

The Big Move During A Pandemic

Old May 19th 2020, 9:49 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Big Move During A Pandemic

Originally Posted by lsac
Hi Crofty82, when did you get Air Transat's voucher? We should've flown this Wednesday and we haven't received their voucher yet.
We should have flown on April 13th and we received the vouchers on April 5th.
Old May 19th 2020, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82
We’re working towards a new date in the summer. Air Transat, who we have credit vouchers with, have suspended operations until the end of June so we’re looking at July or August.

Moving abroad without jobs was scary enough before Covid-19 but now it’s much more so. Need to be convinced we stand a chance of getting a job, even if it’s not a ‘great’ one before we commit.
Just wondered why you took the vouchers from Air transat. I was in the same position flights cancelled by West Jet who only offered me future travel credits. I had bought the tickets with a debit card issued by my UK bank so rang them up and requested a charge back. The call took less than 20mins and by the end of it I had nearly £5k returned direct to my account. I was able to re book with Air Canada and have now landed while West Jet still don't have a restart date!
Old May 19th 2020, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RS_OS
It does not have to be a hotel that you quarantine in, an airbnb will be more than acceptable. The main area of concern to them is that you have access to basics like food and medication if required and that you won't need to leave the property for the 14 days.

If you did look at a hotel for your quarantine period I would strongly recommend you check directly with the hotel before booking that they are offering room service....a lot of them, we've found, are not presently doing so even some of the airport hotels so this may be an issue. An airbnb with kitchen facilities is probably your best option with groceries delivered to your door.

We've asked the company who helped us obtain our visa and they have said you can hire a rental car to get to your destination. I've also checked with Enterprise at Toronto airport and they are still open and offering contactless pick ups (they leave the keys on the dashboard).
Many hotels are now room only, kitchens and dining rooms have been shut down. Anyone contemplating traveling really needs to find self catering accommodation. I don't know if your OK stopping with say family you haven't travelled with, could be an issue?
Old May 20th 2020, 9:18 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Just wondered why you took the vouchers from Air transat. I was in the same position flights cancelled by West Jet who only offered me future travel credits. I had bought the tickets with a debit card issued by my UK bank so rang them up and requested a charge back. The call took less than 20mins and by the end of it I had nearly £5k returned direct to my account. I was able to re book with Air Canada and have now landed while West Jet still don't have a restart date!
The vouchers were issued automatically by email. I booked the tickets on a UK credit card so can get the money back that way if I need to. We still hope to move this year and almost always fly AT because they are often the cheapest option, and because they are now the only airline that do MAN-YYZ direct.

Also, I know it sounds weird to say that I feel sorry for an airline, but given that they have furloughed 3/4 of their staff, I am keeping this option in my back pocket in case I can’t use the vouchers for any reason.
Old May 20th 2020, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

.....and the Police DO check on quarantine (albeit not enough). See CBC article here

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bor...deau-1.5575617
Old May 20th 2020, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
.....and the Police DO check on quarantine (albeit not enough). See CBC article here

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bor...deau-1.5575617
They are undertaking risk based checks which is normal with presumably limited resources. What would be interesting is the compliance figures from the checks. Either way it looks clear that quarantine is going to be arround for some time yet and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes part of the new normal and not just in Canada.
Old May 20th 2020, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

The subject quarantine was briefly covered today on CBC Radio 1 . Apparently the authorities are checking up. There has been one breach so far, which ended in a fine of $ 1000. There was no mention of the option of testing nor was there mention of excluding certain countries with very low levels of infection or no infections at all.

There was a brief mention regarding easing certain restrictions on the US-Canada border for certain cases, relatives / spouses and partners, but nothing specific.

Sadly, I have the same feeling that quarantine will be around for quite some time. This would mean, I won't see my beloved Canada for the foreseeable future. Sometimes governments pass laws, I can simply not comply with.

The only consolation is that the CBC doesn't seem to be using the term "the new normal" anymore, but the more appropriate "new unnormal".

Last edited by OrangeMango; May 20th 2020 at 2:48 pm.
Old May 21st 2020, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

unobscure is an unknown quantity at this point

The authorities in BC are certainly checking up on quarantine. Our flight was cancelled (returning for family emergency) and we didn't travel. They phoned us four times (at 1.30am our time) and my mother in law 3 times. The system isn't perfect... we explained repeatedly that we aren't there, please close this case, we will submit a new plan when we travel... and they kept phoning back again and again. Eventually got it sorted.
Old May 21st 2020, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
The subject quarantine was briefly covered today on CBC Radio 1 . Apparently the authorities are checking up. There has been one breach so far, which ended in a fine of $ 1000. There was no mention of the option of testing nor was there mention of excluding certain countries with very low levels of infection or no infections at all.

There was a brief mention regarding easing certain restrictions on the US-Canada border for certain cases, relatives / spouses and partners, but nothing specific.

Sadly, I have the same feeling that quarantine will be around for quite some time. This would mean, I won't see my beloved Canada for the foreseeable future. Sometimes governments pass laws, I can simply not comply with.

The only consolation is that the CBC doesn't seem to be using the term "the new normal" anymore, but the more appropriate "new unnormal".

So far as I know, the only mention that I have heard of this today was John Horgan, Premier of BC, musing at a Press conference today that this MIGHT be possible sometime in the future. I did not hear Trudeau's media this morning, and have not heard it mentioned among the snippets that the press discuss.

But there's a big catch ................ someone crossing into Canada from the US will have to go into14 days quarantine in Canada. Someone crossing from Canada into the US will have to go into 14days quarantine in Canada, no matter how short a time they've be out.

That is what he said.

Horgan also said that the BC - Washington border will not re-open on June 21st even if Trudeau lifts the Federal ban. BC and Alberta are working together on measures to do with covid, and Horgan said he was in constant contact with the Governor of Washington State, and that they were in agreement about when the timing of the re-opening of the border.

As for you not complying with government's laws, I'm afraid you're just going to have to do that!
Old May 21st 2020, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

As for you not complying with government's laws, I'm afraid you're just going to have to do that!
I am afraid, not. Thus I am staying out of Canada these days.

I am hoping that the government will have a more reasonable approach to this and allow quarantine free travel between Canada and countries with similar or lower levels of infection.

Australia and NZ have managed to do so. Why not Canada?

The issue I also have is one simply doesn't know what regulations they will come up next. As quarantine is a distrust issue per se, more surveillance is the only answer. I am only waiting for Canada to introduce mandatory arm or ankle bracelets to track quarantine breaches. It's probably only a matter of time. Anybody's phantasies are as good as mine these days.

Last edited by OrangeMango; May 21st 2020 at 8:19 am.
Old May 21st 2020, 11:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia and NZ have managed to do so. Why not Canada?

A similar arrangement in the case of Canada would be with some French overseas departments. Free travel between Canada and St. Pierre et Miquelon seems feasible to me but I don't see how it helps you. It's the border with the US that matters to Canada economically and that's certainly not safe to open. The UK may not be in quite such disarray as the US but it's a long way down the list of countries with sensible protocols. Still, Canada's a cold place with some awful music, it may be as well to go elsewhere.
Old May 21st 2020, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
A similar arrangement in the case of Canada would be with some French overseas departments. Free travel between Canada and St. Pierre et Miquelon seems feasible to me but I don't see how it helps you. It's the border with the US that matters to Canada economically and that's certainly not safe to open. The UK may not be in quite such disarray as the US but it's a long way down the list of countries with sensible protocols. Still, Canada's a cold place with some awful music, it may be as well to go elsewhere.
What would help me is a quarantine free travel zone between Canada and similar countries. like Denmark, Germany, Austria or Slovakia, even Greece.

However I doubt very much that this would be part of the government's plans at any stage within the next 3 months.

The Canada / US border would most likely be the first to be addressed, and that's together with the UK a no go, looking at infection figures.
Old May 21st 2020, 11:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The Canada / US border would most likely be the first to be addressed, and that's together with the UK a no go, looking at infection figures.

Agreed. Both the UK and the US seem set on increasing their infection rates so the prospects for the long term are quite gloomy.