The big move

Old Jun 24th 2017, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: The big move

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
There was quite a long thread on this the other day, if you scroll down through the threads to the one called "Life in Alberta". There was some really good advice given on there before the OP descended into hysteria, so the last few pages are probably best missed, but lots of people chipped in with great advice
Ashley sounds like ADB - just saying.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The big move

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Ashley sounds like ADB - just saying.
It did cross my mind for an uncharitable second.

To be honest I feel quite offended about everyone recently wanting to move to Calgary, what about the glorious East Coast? Don't we get considered?!
Old Jun 25th 2017, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashley91
Myself and my partner are looking at moving over to the Calgary area, I am just wondering on a few questions I can't seem to find the answers too on Google, we have two children (7 & 3) and currently there education is primary p3 after the summer and starting nursery after the summer, I was wondering if the a school class would roughly be the same in respect to what they are in just now. Also what the healthcare is like? we live in Scotland have the nhs which is great. And gun crime I am aware Canada and America are very different but I can't help but worry about guns and the crime rate with them, do the schools have a search policy like the Americans and gun drills for the kids incase there is a incident involving then? We don't want to live in the city looking about half an hour to hour and a half away. My biggest fear is snakes I cannot stand the thought of them being in my house It is something that niggl2a in my head and I would like to know the likely hood of seeing them on a day to day basis Is it much like Scotland where we have the odd one or two but they are in the hills far Way or I'm I looking at them being in my garden at...?It isn't enough to stop myself from making the move but it is deffiently something I need to prepare myself for, we don't want to live out in the sticks so I'm hoping this helps with that area of animals. Thanks in advance
Ps our education for school and high school is free is this the same or do you need to pay?
Originally Posted by ABD
Well, my husband's job has the possibility for us to be able to live in a few countries. We love our life here in the UK, genuinely love it, but at the same time neither of us can shake th feeling that there's a big wide world out there and tha we should experience life in at least one other country. We have three young children to think of under 7 years though and they come first no matter what - so if the move won't give them something extra they don't have here and at least match everything they do, we won't do it.
We looked at the US seeing as my husband is American but, having lived there before, we don't want to go back. Too religious, too violent, and...Trump. Oh, and health care (or lack of!) We looked at Australia...again, there's the health care issue (but not to the extent of the US), there's the extreme heat and most of all there's the spiders (Google Huntsmen...you'll never sleep again). And we're also looking at Canada. And we like the look of Alberta. We don't need insanely big cities so we don't feel a need to look at say Vancouver like most people would who are relocating...we're looking for a home in a semi rural area on the edge of a good sized city so we can easily get in for everything we want/need, but at the same time have a small amount of land (an acre or two, no more), yet not be completely isolated from people. We like peaceful living, but we like being active, having friends and getting out and about.
Originally Posted by ABD

And guns...well, like you said, some nutter could open fire in a shopping centre and that does worry me. I expect the more you go though the more you wouldn't think about it. I've been to malls in Texas when we lived there, quite often, only to read recently of shootings that happened there.
One was a fire chief out to dinner with his ex-wife and another man in a busy shopping mall and decided to pull out a gun, shoot the man in the head, (in front of a girl out for a meal with her mum and dad for her 13th birthday), and then he dragged his ex wife out of the restaurant and shot her before shooting himself. It's situations like that, that although targeted and not random, do scare me. Busy place, extremely easy for a rogue flying bullet to hit an innocent bistander. Then again, might never see anything like that in Calgary or even meet anyone who has!
Ashley/ABD
Old Jun 25th 2017, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

It did cross my mind for an uncharitable second.

To be honest I feel quite offended about everyone recently wanting to move to Calgary, what about the glorious East Coast? Don't we get considered?!
Crossed my mind too - the parallels are striking but I've already wasted too much time on it regardless.

East Coast is

Cheers,

J.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 12:15 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

We will have to visit the East Coast- it looks great to visit and if jobs can be found then perhaps to live. Gonna be 35c here tomorrow, might plan a visit sooner than I had anticipated!
Old Jun 25th 2017, 12:17 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

For school info check out (for Calgary area):

Calgary Board of Education:http://www.cbe.ab.ca/Pages/default.aspx
(there's a calculator to work out when kids are eligible for kindergarten)

Calgary Catholic School District:https://www.cssd.ab.ca/Pages/default.aspx

and for some of the areas outside Calgary check out Rocky View School District: http://www.rockyview.ab.ca

Kindergarten is only half a day so if you want to work you will need to find before and after school care or a day home to cover that. For kindergarten this September we will be paying in the region of $400-$500/month for before and after care including the full afternoon so that gives you an idea of cost.

School class sizes can vary between schools and whether the school in the area is over subscribed. Some schools here do have a lottery system but its not as crazy as the UK. Often they don't build the schools in the new communities for a while so the kids start off getting bussed to schools in older communities until their school is built - its quite a fluid situation and can vary each year depending on where you live. We are in an older established area and the local elementary is quite small with only 200 kids but there are some with almost a thousand. Last year my kid was in a class of 28 and this year it was a class of 19 because they got some extra funding for another teacher and had grade split classes - classes with grade 1 and 2 students in. Having said all that over here you tend to go to school in the community you live unless you have a desire to attend a specific program e.g. French immersion, German bilingual, traditional learning, etc. There are school profiles on the links I put further up the page which tell you numbers in each grade at the school. You can also read the newsletters to get an idea of the issues at school here.

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; Jun 25th 2017 at 12:24 am.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jerry and Stinky, I am feeling mollified now, I am also ignoring the fact that we were planning to move west until life intervened

35, crikey, mid twenties has been feeling stifling here, but i'm not really used to the heat after the previous places we've lived! The sea breeze is lovely, I took Fluff for a walk along the confederation trail in the rain today and everything smelt so fresh, I love the rain.

Stinky if you're ever in our new neighborhood (when we get there, eta 3 weeks) feel free to call in and get slobbered by Fluff!
Old Jun 25th 2017, 1:19 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jerry and Stinky, I am feeling mollified now, I am also ignoring the fact that we were planning to move west until life intervened

35, crikey, mid twenties has been feeling stifling here, but i'm not really used to the heat after the previous places we've lived! The sea breeze is lovely, I took Fluff for a walk along the confederation trail in the rain today and everything smelt so fresh, I love the rain.

Stinky if you're ever in our new neighborhood (when we get there, eta 3 weeks) feel free to call in and get slobbered by Fluff!
Thankfully the humidity is very low and usually there is a nice breeze off the lake - just if I'm out in the garden working it gets a bit toasty. I need a dog..I haven't been out for a walk in a while ....Snoop.. Pongie ...that would suit a little golden retriever girl

Thanks for the offer would love to meet Fluff, I love big dogs, they do slobber a lot though Havoc my uncles St Bernard really did slobber...and his poos...massive! He downsized from St Bernards and Pyreneans to much smaller dogs...Bernese Mountain dogs
I love the ocean... Will be a trip in the future- West coast road trip coming up- I can't wait! Good luck with your move.

Move west.... Yes, I suppose it is geographically- still about 4000 miles from us.. Jeez Canada is actually quite big! Who knew

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jun 25th 2017 at 1:22 am.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Thankfully the humidity is very low and usually there is a nice breeze off the lake - just if I'm out in the garden working it gets a bit toasty. I need a dog..I haven't been out for a walk in a while ....Snoop.. Pongie ...that would suit a little golden retriever girl

Thanks for the offer would love to meet Fluff, I love big dogs, they do slobber a lot though Havoc my uncles St Bernard really did slobber...and his poos...massive! He downsized from St Bernards and Pyreneans to much smaller dogs...Bernese Mountain dogs
I love the ocean... Will be a trip in the future- West coast road trip coming up- I can't wait! Good luck with your move.

Move west.... Yes, I suppose it is geographically- still about 4000 miles from us.. Jeez Canada is actually quite big! Who knew
Thanks and you're welcome , Pongie is lovely, Fluff's real life name isn't an English word, so I always end up spelling it phonetically, it suits him though. My husband would love a GR and wants to name her carrot. Still, I think it suits Fluff being a pampered only dog.

Yeeeessss...the slobber. Not fun and Ovcharkas aren't that slobbery as giant breeds go. The fur shedding on the other hand is something else, and yes carrier bags rather than poop bags are the order of the day. Downsized

West coast road trip sounds great
Old Jun 25th 2017, 6:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
We will have to visit the East Coast- it looks great to visit and if jobs can be found then perhaps to live. Gonna be 35c here tomorrow, might plan a visit sooner than I had anticipated!
I love the east coast. BC is nice, but I'm much more a maritimes type.

35° That's a typical summer day here along with the UV of 14
Old Jun 25th 2017, 7:10 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I love the east coast. BC is nice, but I'm much more a maritimes type.

35° That's a typical summer day here along with the UV of 14
I know, I'm a wuss
Old Jun 25th 2017, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks and you're welcome , Pongie is lovely, Fluff's real life name isn't an English word, so I always end up spelling it phonetically, it suits him though. My husband would love a GR and wants to name her carrot. Still, I think it suits Fluff being a pampered only dog.

Yeeeessss...the slobber. Not fun and Ovcharkas aren't that slobbery as giant breeds go. The fur shedding on the other hand is something else, and yes carrier bags rather than poop bags are the order of the day. Downsized

West coast road trip sounds great
I have a Saint and a Newf. The Newf has drool that touches the ground at times!!!
I inspect people's houses for international students and often the families will warn me that they have a big dog. So I explain what a big dog is... lol
Old Jun 25th 2017, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I have a Saint and a Newf. The Newf has drool that touches the ground at times!!!
I inspect people's houses for international students and often the families will warn me that they have a big dog. So I explain what a big dog is... lol
A saint and a newf, is it like Clash of the Titans on a cuddlier scale at yours'?
Yes! Exactly, I asked a contractor the other day of he was OK with big dogs or if he wanted me to tell Fluff to wait in the kitchen and he said not to worry as he was used to big dogs, when he saw Fluff he said "I'm used to big dogs, not whatever zoo that escaped from!"
Old Jun 25th 2017, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Ashley91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
For school info check out (for Calgary area):

Calgary Board of Education:http://www.cbe.ab.ca/Pages/default.aspx
(there's a calculator to work out when kids are eligible for kindergarten)

Calgary Catholic School District:https://www.cssd.ab.ca/Pages/default.aspx

and for some of the areas outside Calgary check out Rocky View School District: What's New! — Rocky View Schools

Kindergarten is only half a day so if you want to work you will need to find before and after school care or a day home to cover that. For kindergarten this September we will be paying in the region of $400-$500/month for before and after care including the full afternoon so that gives you an idea of cost.

School class sizes can vary between schools and whether the school in the area is over subscribed. Some schools here do have a lottery system but its not as crazy as the UK. Often they don't build the schools in the new communities for a while so the kids start off getting bussed to schools in older communities until their school is built - its quite a fluid situation and can vary each year depending on where you live. We are in an older established area and the local elementary is quite small with only 200 kids but there are some with almost a thousand. Last year my kid was in a class of 28 and this year it was a class of 19 because they got some extra funding for another teacher and had grade split classes - classes with grade 1 and 2 students in. Having said all that over here you tend to go to school in the community you live unless you have a desire to attend a specific program e.g. French immersion, German bilingual, traditional learning, etc. There are school profiles on the links I put further up the page which tell you numbers in each grade at the school. You can also read the newsletters to get an idea of the issues at school here.
Thank you I will have a read threw that, our class sizes vary each year aswell depending on intake and some kids leave and join threw out the year appreciate the links
Old Jun 25th 2017, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Ashley91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Ashley/ABD

I have seen this woman's post and I do have some of the same worries and questions, however I am not the same woman, I wasn't going to watch her thread for answers when I can have my own and be notified when someone responds saves myself lots of time, i think when you have kids your main questions are about safety and schooling and healthcare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.