Reload this Page >

Big garden in Calgary

Big garden in Calgary

Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

great46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Big garden in Calgary

Originally Posted by Hangman
I hope you had a good time while here, as well the good look around.

Did you make it to the hockey game? I looked for you but didn't see any obvious Brits.

Seriously you wouldn't want an indoor pool here anyway, to many problems with condensation, and an outdoor pool is useless for a good portion of the year.

Cheers
Steve
We did thanks and it was great, it was so fast and so rough it was like Rugby on ice! I didn't understand why they all kept swapping around and having a sit down, how do they know who is coming of and who is coming on My Hubby thought it was really good, although, he spent most of the time talking to the Canadian Guys sitting next to us!

It's nice to know we blend in well!

"Seriously you wouldn't want an indoor pool here anyway, to many problems with condensation, and an outdoor pool is useless for a good portion of the year."

You have me worrying now you do have a summer don't you?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by great46
The two days were very nice this year

This was my first Summer in Calgary and I thoroughly enjoyed the warm days and beautiful clear blue skys during July and August. Because it is so dry here, even on the warmest days you don't feel washed out because of the humidity. Well I didn't, and I could loose a few pounds
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:28 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear you had a good time.

Regarding the players changing in the hockey game, the head coach is the one who decides who's on or not. Also they play as units, nearly always the same three forwards will play together during a game, and the defensemen are paired. The players (should) also know when to come off the ice for line changes during play.

But I do have to admit that to the uninitiated it all does look a little like a chinese fire drill.

Summer mainly consists of June, July and August. April and May can be very nice but can still get snow, the third weekend in May is usually our last frost. September things are starting to cool, no more 25-30 degree highs but still mild. Actually September and October are my favourite time of year. By November it is quite cool average daily highs around 3-5 but we get warmer days as well, like today its 10 right now and expected to go to 12.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

The summer sounds good to me! ......... it was great last week to experience the November weather, it was nice and sunny too although you needed a jacket, my hubby has felt colder since we have been home!

Thanks guys!

Tracy.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

1027MM is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info everyone.

We did have a good look around most of the places you suggested but we didn't get to check out Woodbine, we are home now so I will look around there when we go over again. We would only be looking to spend about CAD 375,000. ish so maybe that's not enough to get a nice house and big garden? I do think it's a shame because the houses do seam to be out of proportion to the amount of ground they have. There did seams to be a lot of parks which I guess makes up for it. (I wouldn't be able to have the swimming pool I always dreamt of though )

Cheers again!
We bought our house in Woodbine for $322,000 just over a year ago. Very nice house, big garden.

I am from the UK too but left when I was 12 years old to live in Johannesburg, South Africa. I lived there for 30+ good years but have now been living in Calgary for 6 years. Write if you need to know more.

Cheers
Marion
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:44 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Hangman
The players (should) also know when to come off the ice for line changes during play.
Ah the joys of minor hockey ... trying to persuade the kids who are on the ice to come off so the next line can play ... 11 players from the same team on the ice at the same time ... you don't see that sort of thing at an NHL game.

Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Lot sizes in Calgary are regulated by the city.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:57 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Lot sizes in Calgary are regulated by the city.

True - but to state the obvious - they are the size that was regulated at the time the property was developed. The current lot size is roughly half the size of our lot - and yes, we are within the city boundary. Older houses generally have larger lots.

Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

ross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant future

we looked at houses in older areas that had lovely gardens but in the end decided to go for a newer house with a smaller garden because we wanted to live near familys with younger kids, there didn't seem to be many in the old areas, more older kids and retired people. Our house backs onto a green open space so it doesn't matter about the size of our garden as our children are always out the back playing in the park.
The house 2 doors up is for sale, big 4 bedrooms up and backing onto the same park $309
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ross&carolyn
we looked at houses in older areas that had lovely gardens but in the end decided to go for a newer house with a smaller garden because we wanted to live near familys with younger kids, there didn't seem to be many in the old areas, more older kids and retired people. Our house backs onto a green open space so it doesn't matter about the size of our garden as our children are always out the back playing in the park.
The house 2 doors up is for sale, big 4 bedrooms up and backing onto the same park $309

We came to the same conclusion, we would have to try and find a newish house with no one overlooking it and then make use of the parks, yours sounds ideal, is the one you mentioned on mls.ca? which area are you? if you don't mind me asking

Cheers Tracy.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:29 am
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

$309 for a new 4 bedroom house backing onto an open green space? :scared: I'll buy it for cash right now
Old Nov 13th 2005, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

ross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant future

ha ha $309K

I live in somerset the house 2 doors up is mls c3191565.

Its a great place to live its been fantastic having the big green area behind us with the playpark, the kids were able to make loads of friends before they started school in September. The school is a 2 minute walk so my daughter can walk home as well which is great.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

ha ha $309K

I live in somerset the house 2 doors up is mls c3191565.

Its a great place to live its been fantastic having the big green area behind us with the playpark, the kids were able to make loads of friends before they started school in September. The school is a 2 minute walk so my daughter can walk home as well which is great.

Thanks!, I had a look and it's very good value for the money all the ones we looked at were CAD 350,000 plus. We really liked Somerset and some friends we made on our trip have just bought a lovely place there too, although I am rather taken by the idea of the Lake communities having two boys, I think they would love being able to fish, swim etc.
Would you be allowed to put a wooden fence up for more privacy or are the rules you have to abide by?

Cheers,
Tracy
Old Nov 13th 2005, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks!, I had a look and it's very good value for the money all the ones we looked at were CAD 350,000 plus. We really liked Somerset and some friends we made on our trip have just bought a lovely place there too, although I am rather taken by the idea of the Lake communities having two boys, I think they would love being able to fish, swim etc.
Would you be allowed to put a wooden fence up for more privacy or are the rules you have to abide by?

Cheers,
Tracy
we have a wooden fence on the sides but the chain link fence at the back has to stay.
we ideally wanted a lake community - sundance was the favourite because of the schools but to honest we don't regret moving here, there is a public lake nearby and friends that live in the lake communitys don't use it as much as they thought they would (we can also visit their lakes when we want as well)
Old Nov 13th 2005, 6:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What's a "lake community" ? It sounds like a circle of houses backing on to a lake where the house owners jointly own the lake. If so, is the lake typically natural, dug for the purpose, or as in suburban Toronto, a disused gravel pit ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.