Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bible Hill/Valley to the Burnside Estate

Wikiposts

Bible Hill/Valley to the Burnside Estate

Old Jun 28th 2008, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Big Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud of
Default Bible Hill/Valley to the Burnside Estate

Hi all,
As some of you may know we are in the middle of a recce in NS and loving it!!

Does anybody travel from the Bible Hill/Valley area to the Burnside business estate to work?

It seems to me that doing it every day will be a slog, and expensive on fuel. I know they have a car pool in Truro which might help but I think doing the trip twice a day especially in the winter might be too much. We really like this area and the schools seem very good so it looks like we may choose this are to settle. I may be able to find work (i'm in the print) somewhere other than the Burnside but we'll have to see.

Any opinions would be welcome.

thanks all,

Steve
Old Jun 28th 2008, 10:04 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bible Hill/Valley to the Burnside Estate

Originally Posted by Big Stevo
Hi all,

Does anybody travel from the Bible Hill/Valley area to the Burnside business estate to work?

It seems to me that doing it every day will be a slog, and expensive on fuel. I know they have a car pool in Truro which might help but I think doing the trip twice a day especially in the winter might be too much. We really like this area and the schools seem very good so it looks like we may choose this are to settle. I may be able to find work (i'm in the print) somewhere other than the Burnside but we'll have to see.

thanks all,

Steve
Hi Steve,

Glad your having a great trip, these echo our thoughts following our recce, will be interested to hear other people's views

Have fun!
Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

thanks all,

Steve
Why don't you try looking between Truro and Burnside Industrail Park, Maybe Stewiack. So you have a job in Burnside and want to live in the Bible Hill area...hummmmm it is an hours drive, alot of people do it as you will see by the traffic. It would be a drudge every day though and with the price of gas.......Look abit closer to Dartmouth.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Arrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

thanks all,

Steve
there is lots of nice areas closer. wellington ,fall river ,waverly, bedford ans sackville. they are all located between the airport and halifax.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Homegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant future

Big Stevo:

A commute from Truro to Halifax/Dartmouth will cost you $500.00 a month for gasoline. And that's at todays gasoline prices. Who knows where it's going to go. Any money you save on real estate by buying 100 km's from your work will quickly be eaten up by travelling costs. I would advise that you locate a whole lot closer to your work. Besides, there's a lot more to NS than Truro.

Regards,

M. (Living in Dartmouth and loving it.)

PS: There are signs that because of high fuel costs the value of real estate
is stagnate or declining in long distance commutor areas. Don't under
estimate the seriousness of the issue. It's effecting every
aspect of our lives here because, like all of North America, this place
rides on a film of oil.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Big Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Homegrown
Big Stevo:

A commute from Truro to Halifax/Dartmouth will cost you $500.00 a month for gasoline. And that's at todays gasoline prices. Who knows where it's going to go. Any money you save on real estate by buying 100 km's from your work will quickly be eaten up by travelling costs. I would advise that you locate a whole lot closer to your work. Besides, there's a lot more to NS than Truro.

Regards,

M. (Living in Dartmouth and loving it.)

PS: There are signs that because of high fuel costs the value of real estate
is stagnate or declining in long distance commutor areas. Don't under
estimate the seriousness of the issue. It's effecting every
aspect of our lives here because, like all of North America, this place
rides on a film of oil.
I don't have to work in the Burnside but we will have to stay within the Colchester District due to the RDA we are using. If my wife can get work in the health service I may become a man of leisure!!!
We checked out Stewiacke again but weren't that impressed.
Fingers crossed for a job in Pictou then..
Old Jun 29th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

thanks all,

Steve
Steve, the other thing to consider is the weather. You are looking at the route at it's best now, try to think what it will be like when the roads are slippy and it's snowing. There was a thread covering this a few months ago, will try to find it for you and post the thread.