Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best/Worst Canadian Mattress Manufacturers?

Best/Worst Canadian Mattress Manufacturers?

Old May 17th 2013, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best/Worst Canadian Mattress Manufacturers?

I have never, ever had a problem returning anything to IKEA. It's one of the reasons I shop there. I know if there is a problem, it will get resolved to my satisfaction.
Old May 17th 2013, 5:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I have never, ever had a problem returning anything to IKEA. It's one of the reasons I shop there. I know if there is a problem, it will get resolved to my satisfaction.
In Canada?

I'm not just talking about the one in Calgary either, friend of mine had similar experience in Vancouver. She actually got the delivery guy fired he was so awful. I didn't mean they were crap on returns specifically, IKEA is just generally crap, understaffed, I had to laugh because there is a computer that you can use for giving your views on their service - which was broken.

Last edited by Steve_; May 17th 2013 at 5:35 pm.
Old May 17th 2013, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
In Canada?
Yep - in Canada.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_CA/custome...return_policy/

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from the Burlington, ON store over the past couple of years for my daughter who is now living in Ontario.
Old May 17th 2013, 5:36 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I was talking about The Brick on the returns.
Old May 17th 2013, 5:42 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I went through this exercise recently.

After visiting Leons and Sleep Country I bought at Ikea.

The mattress was more comfortable, cheaper and endorsed by the Canadian Physiotherapy Association.
Old May 17th 2013, 5:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never, ever had a problem returning anything to IKEA.
I have. What, I don't remember, but queuing literally for hours stands out in my memory. My ex fitted her entire kitchen from IKEA (sending me the bill), there were bits missing, of course. She and ended up getting the missing bits in Europe and bringing them back herself so as to avoid repeatedly queuing here.

I rather like IKEA and I'm sure we'll get one of their Belfast sinks in due course but whatever you save in money by shopping there you lose in time spent trying to get the bit that'll mean your bed or cupboard doesn't have to stand on bricks (books if you're a student).
Old May 17th 2013, 5:45 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

On mattresses IKEA have a 30 day policy where you are allowed to use the mattress for up to 30 days and if during that time it is not to your liking it can be returned. They publicise it openly in the store and the shop assistant also told me about it and gave me a leaflet.

I do find IKEA a nauseating shopping experience on the weekend and not ideal when one is hungover.
Old May 17th 2013, 5:51 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have. What, I don't remember, but queuing literally for hours stands out in my memory. My ex fitted her entire kitchen from IKEA (sending me the bill), there were bits missing, of course. She and ended up getting the missing bits in Europe and bringing them back herself so as to avoid repeatedly queuing here.

I rather like IKEA and I'm sure we'll get one of their Belfast sinks in due course but whatever you save in money by shopping there you lose in time spent trying to get the bit that'll mean your bed or cupboard doesn't have to stand on bricks (books if you're a student).
Returning stuff can take longer than purchasing it which is a lengthy process. Purchasing can take a good hour of getting through their maze plus another hour of line ups at till and then the home delivery section if you don't have a good vehicle.

Last time out the return took me close to an hour and a half with a take a ticket and wait system. I nearly actually abandoned it as the item was $60 and I consider my time a little more than that but I felt I was fighting for some principle.

Putting the stuff together is also a bitch but I've had similar experiences with other stores. Leon's had to send a technician out to put a TV stand I purchased right as it was clear the alignment in the parts was not correct (normally my user error).

Last edited by JamesM; May 17th 2013 at 5:53 pm.
Old May 17th 2013, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JamesM
On mattresses IKEA have a 30 day policy where you are allowed to use the mattress for up to 30 days and if during that time it is not to your liking it can be returned. They publicise it openly in the store and the shop assistant also told me about it and gave me a leaflet.
90 days for their SULTAN mattresses.

I do find IKEA a nauseating shopping experience on the weekend and not ideal when one is hungover.
Yeah - not fun when it's busy. I normally go outside peak hours.
Old May 17th 2013, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Returning stuff can take longer than purchasing it which is a lengthy process. Purchasing can take a good hour of getting through their maze plus another hour of line ups at till and then the home delivery section if you don't have a good vehicle.

Last time out the return took me close to an hour and a half with a take a ticket and wait system. I nearly actually abandoned it as the item was $60 and I consider my time a little more than that but I felt I was fighting for some principle.
If you can, go outside peak hours. Big difference.

Putting the stuff together is also a bitch but I've had similar experiences with other stores. Leon's had to send a technician out to put a TV stand I purchased right as it was clear the alignment in the parts was not correct (normally my user error).
Yeah, assembling stuff isn't for everyone. And some things are harder than others. I spent 2 days last summer assembling IKEA stuff for my daughter's new apartment. It was a roasting hot day in July and of course there was no air conditioning. I think I lost 10 lbs that weekend.
Old May 17th 2013, 6:10 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

90 days for their SULTAN mattresses.

Yeah - not fun when it's busy. I normally go outside peak hours.
Yes. Sorry. You are right it is in fact 90 and I have a Sultan. I am on about day 45.
Old May 17th 2013, 11:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Returning stuff to Ikea is always an ordeal. Take a chair, some valium, and a snack.
Old May 17th 2013, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

i don't mind IKEA at all

going at off peak times is a huge advantage though. I also get the codes of things I want from their website, and rather than walk through all the display, just go straight to the warehouse and get it! No-nonsense! (This won't work if you like to check things out first, rather than rely on pictures and measurements haha)
Old May 18th 2013, 12:44 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
i don't mind IKEA at all

going at off peak times is a huge advantage though. I also get the codes of things I want from their website, and rather than walk through all the display, just go straight to the warehouse and get it! No-nonsense! (This won't work if you like to check things out first, rather than rely on pictures and measurements haha)
Oh I love IKEA, I just hate returns.
Old May 18th 2013, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Melsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for all your replies and advice. Ikea is a 2 hour drive away for us and it's a place my partner and I can't really bear going to. There are plenty of other good stores nearby we could use so I guess we should just go and test out the mattresses.
Melsa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.