Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best way to meet people in Calgary?

Best way to meet people in Calgary?

Old Apr 27th 2018, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

aerivona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to meet people in Calgary?

Hi, I'm going to be moving to Calgary on Monday. I'm very excited but wanted advice on how best to meet new people. If we end up isolated the move probably won't be a success. I'll be working as an auditor and will rarely be at my employer's office as I'll be at different client sites often so can't really meet people that way. My husband will be working from home 100% of the time and is relying on me to find friends for us. I've found a gym for us to join but probably won't be able to meet people that way. We have a dog and were hoping to befriend other dog owners somehow. Any tips would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to meet people in Calgary?

Join an auditor's association and, if such a thing exists, I can virtually guarantee that they will meet for lunch once a month or so.

Very few people in Calgary were born and raised in Calgary so most will have been in your position too and will likely be happy to help.

Join whatever clubs/associations interest you and I am confident that, in no time at all, you will have met people that will be more than happy to introduce you to other people.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Calgary- moved here January 2017- My husband and I have both made friends through our jobs, though it is definitely a gradual thing. I blame age- we’re both 30/31 so it’s not as easy for sure as when we were kids for sure! Haha
My husband has found it a bit more difficult than me. He had some really strong friendship groups in the Uk that revolved around hobbies (surfing and mountain biking for example)- so he definitely found it more of a struggle at first as initially the people he worked with despite several of them having similar interests didn’t go out much together outside of work - it’s been him who’s sort of encouraged them to get out and do things together. It’s working though!
Now he spends a lot of time in the winter skiing with them if I’m at work, and we’ve already started planning a vacation next summer with them all. I’ve also actually made friends with his boss and I’ve become a regular rider for one of her horses which is cool- and I’m hoping to make further friends though her.
We could totally get out more than we do though- it’s a big city- there’s a lot to do! All sorts of classes, from sports to arts.
As has been said though- not many people who live here are from here.
I work in retail and my husband works at the university- 90% of the people we know have moved to Calgary. Even most of my customers aren’t actually even from Alberta never mind Calgary. So people get the challenge of moving to a new place. :-) You’ll be fine!
Old Apr 27th 2018, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

aerivona is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
I live in Calgary- moved here January 2017- My husband and I have both made friends through our jobs, though it is definitely a gradual thing. I blame age- we’re both 30/31 so it’s not as easy for sure as when we were kids for sure! Haha
My husband has found it a bit more difficult than me. He had some really strong friendship groups in the Uk that revolved around hobbies (surfing and mountain biking for example)- so he definitely found it more of a struggle at first as initially the people he worked with despite several of them having similar interests didn’t go out much together outside of work - it’s been him who’s sort of encouraged them to get out and do things together. It’s working though!
Now he spends a lot of time in the winter skiing with them if I’m at work, and we’ve already started planning a vacation next summer with them all. I’ve also actually made friends with his boss and I’ve become a regular rider for one of her horses which is cool- and I’m hoping to make further friends though her.
We could totally get out more than we do though- it’s a big city- there’s a lot to do! All sorts of classes, from sports to arts.
As has been said though- not many people who live here are from here.
I work in retail and my husband works at the university- 90% of the people we know have moved to Calgary. Even most of my customers aren’t actually even from Alberta never mind Calgary. So people get the challenge of moving to a new place. :-) You’ll be fine!
Thanks, I found a few groups I'm interested in on the meetup website. Are there any other recommended places to find interest groups?
Old Apr 28th 2018, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aerivona
Thanks, I found a few groups I'm interested in on the meetup website. Are there any other recommended places to find interest groups?
The city itself run courses and events (of a huge variety!)- my husbands taken part in a couple of the bird watching ones as he’s a keen photographer and he’s met a few people through that. Look on the city of calgary website to see what they have on offer- everything from arts, crafts, languages, sports etc. Reasonable prices too.
I know people who’ve even just made friends attending pub quizzes in the city! There’s a fun board game place which always throws up some interesting people (and if you’re into that sort of thing!)- in fact I think there’s a couple now. One we walked past the other night had a long line outside to get in! Haha
I find friends through friends is the easiest for me. Some work friends we’ve met have had dinner parties and things and invited us and other friends of theirs which has helped us expand our social circle- I think the key thing in the first year is to really go to everything you’re invited to- and to maybe host something yourself later in the year when you get a bit closer to people. No one says no to a summer bbq. :-)

It’s a bit daunting leaving everyone you know behind in another country- though I still keep in touch with everyone. The time difference is okay too. I talk to them on my mornings.
If you’re relying on company long distance though it can get a bit lonely in the evenings when they’re all fast asleep- I found that a bit difficult to start with as my husband travels a lot.

I’m happy to meet up if you like when you arrive though! :-) I know some tasty places to eat! Haha
Old Apr 29th 2018, 2:38 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary Sports & Social Club is a good way to meet people. Find a sport you're interested in and join one of their pick up recreation leagues. Lots of fun, head out for beer and wings after the games etc.

We joined a slo-pitch league when we arrived and met loads of people, heading out for beers and wings after the games.

There's also a bunch of hiking/ski clubs too, Alberta Hiking Clubs.

Last edited by Photoplex; Apr 29th 2018 at 2:42 am.