Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

the best time to choose schools...

the best time to choose schools...

Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

talltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant future
Default the best time to choose schools...

Hi guys..

Were just trying to get ahead of our selfs..

We have applied under the nsnp ci route and the lady that is dealing with our application says that our application is looking good for them to nominate us. Which is fantastic news...unless she was just trying to get me off the phone??? If we are nominated when is the best time for us to go over there and look at schools?? And houses??? The lady said that once nominated. 97% of applications are approved, So we just wanted to get a head start in planning to make life a bit easier on ourselves....

thanks in advance for your replies
Old Jan 15th 2010, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the best time to choose schools...

Hi
A Reccie visit can be done at any time, and would give you the opportunity to have a good look around the areas you may want to settle in. The school year in Canada broadly runs for September to the end of June...then they break for summer holidays for around 10 weeks.

We, for example, have visited our preferred area twice in Summer once in Autumn and once in the Winter. We managed to have a look around the schools we thought our children would go to.....before the summer break....but that now all has to change as our process has taken 4 years to get to medical stage.

It is difficult for those who applied under the new system to get in some reccie visits prior to going, as I believe that the faster new processing time does not give you much time to go and see a place. It also does not give you much time to change your mind either, which is not necessarily a good thing.

Hope this helps
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by talltrucker2
Hi guys..

Were just trying to get ahead of our selfs..

We have applied under the nsnp ci route and the lady that is dealing with our application says that our application is looking good for them to nominate us. Which is fantastic news...unless she was just trying to get me off the phone??? If we are nominated when is the best time for us to go over there and look at schools?? And houses??? The lady said that once nominated. 97% of applications are approved, So we just wanted to get a head start in planning to make life a bit easier on ourselves....

thanks in advance for your replies
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I do not think that the process of choosing schools in Canada is held in as much importance as it is in the UK - god forbid if you send your child to the "wrong" school in the UK

Most kids just go to the regular High School for their area and parents seem content with that.

My personal perspective on this is that schooling is sooooo different here than in the UK - the whole kit and kaboodle ! Kids have so much opportunity to flourish at their own pace at all of the schools I have had contact with - teachers are supportive, and I know here in town all of our district schools right from Elementary to High School have School Counsellors who are a god send to your child when you have moved this far away from "home".

I found that without the support of these teachers and counsellor my kids would have had a harder time settling in etc.

What I am trying to say is go with the flow and just send your child to your local school then you will be near new friends and school. The most important decision when you move out here is the area you live in - then I would think that the school follows next.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

RajBal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi this is good to hear, can you please let me know which area and district your are talking about as we are looking into schools. 10 month old, 5 years and 11 year old children.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

You should be able to find the website address of the 'school board' that covers the area you're looking to move to and find the complete list of elementary (primary) and high (secondary) schools.

Apart from a few inner city areas it seems that most schools are well below maximum capacity and you just don't get the crazyness about choosing which school to send your child to that you get in the UK. So you're unlikely to find that the school nearest you is 'full'.

I'd concentrate your efforts on finding what looks to be a nice area (superficial I know but you can tell from having a look around), find a moderate home in that area and you'll probably find the local school is just fine too.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

RajBal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply, we will do that. Its great that you do not have the system the same as uk. All the schools here in London are always full and the class size is normally 28 to 34 pupils. thanks again.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:52 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RajBal
Thanks for your reply, we will do that. Its great that you do not have the system the same as uk. All the schools here in London are always full and the class size is normally 28 to 34 pupils. thanks again.
my son is currently in grade 12 and in september moaned that he was in a large class of 25

I told him to suck it up, when he was 5 in reception class in the UK he had a class of 35

As for best school in the area etc etc. All the above posts are correct. Find a nice house in a nice area and the school will be good. Sending your children to the local school helps them to make friends in the area!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

talltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant future
Default nsnp ci just recieved nomination today..

hi guys.

woo hoo we've just received nomination today from nova scotia.

which is very good news. does anybody have any ideas what the next stage is like is it easier or harder than our last stage???

The closer we get the more nerve racking it gets. we can't decide when the best time to buy a house is, do we go over there now and buy a house or wait till we get PR if we get PR...we have cash so no mortgage required

regarding fee's we have to send with our application. How much do we pay i've been on the website but i find it confusing do we sent the whole lot now or do we send some now and the rest later on in the stage, theres 2 adults and my little girl whos 9 years old.

And finally do we have to get all our photo copies notarized for the next stage

sorry about all the questions my mind is so numb at the moment...

thanks guys talltrucker2......