Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Shipping company?

Best Shipping company?

Old Mar 4th 2011, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by arniedog View Post
hi Tracy just wondered how you got on with the quotes from moving partnership and gb liners im in Essex too near colchester and we are going to Toronto later in year any info would be great thanks
As promised prices for shipping;

The Moving Partnership
Quotation Two:
To supply removal services for 650 cubic feet of household and personal effects. All effects to be export packed by owner.

Household and personal effects to be collected from your residence in Basildon, Essex and loaded onto a sole use 20’ container. Shipping charges from origin to destination port of entry along with presentation to customs for clearance.

Delivery of consignment once cleared to your residence in Halifax, Canada including unpacking and removal of debris.

Our charges for the above service £2897.00
A full export packing service is available for an additional £350.00
TOTAL COST £3247.00

GB Liners

We have pleasure in quoting as follows:
To removal of furniture and effects, shown to our
representative, as listed, from your house to a normal house with good access in Halifax.
Inclusive of all necessary preparation, wrapping and
packing. Shipping in an exclusive shipping container and
includes normal customs clearance and delivery to your
new residence. Your furniture would be unwrapped, cartons
unpacked onto flat surfaces and debris removed on the day
of delivery. £3,970.00
Excludes agricultural examination fees if applicable.

To Cost of crate for LCD TV £40.00

The price quoted is for your effects to
be shipped in an exclusive 20 foot container.
The quotation has been costed using today's exchange rates for the US dollar (the
currency we have to pay the freight charges in) and the CN dollar (the currency we have
to pay the destination charges in). For your information, the exchange rates used are
US$1.58 and CN$1.56. If by the time you book this removal with us these rates have
changed by more than 5% in either direction, we may have to revise the quotation.
Total extra items £40.00

Cover against loss or damage as set out in clause 9.1 can
be arranged at £3.50% of the value of the goods.
Please complete the attached valuation form.

PSS

20 ft container, 647 cubic feet, door to door £3163.00 with packing.

GBL said we had more stuff though, can't find the figure but it was just over 800 cubic feet. PSS said we can add to the container and pay for the extra stuff to be packed at £1.70 per cubic foot.

Hope that makes sense. GBL dearer but quoting for more cubic feet, I added 10 more crates, so on balance not much in it.

Hope that helps. Think I'm going to use GBL, (if we ever get our visas), as they have had more positve reviews on here and the guy spent a lot of time explaining things to me. it's the right choice.

Tracy

Last edited by tracys; Mar 4th 2011 at 5:10 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

our quotes for 40' containers (filled to the brim) came in this week.
packed, door to door, North Wales to Nova Scotia

fox £4877
pickfords £5105
britannia £4934

there actually wasn't much difference from a 20' container, only £800 diff in one case.

We have chosen to go with Britannia. Our house sale should complete a around 3 weeks so we are storing our stuff until we get to NS.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Kiami is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
which shipping company let you take any food? There are foods allowed on CIC webpage, but despite that, companies don't want the hassle. I suppose I can see why... , still anybody took any food recently?
Also, medications, the ones you can buy in the shops, did you take any? PSS said you are not allowed those, even if it's cough mixture
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kiami View Post
hi,
which shipping company let you take any food? There are foods allowed on CIC webpage, but despite that, companies don't want the hassle. I suppose I can see why... , still anybody took any food recently?
Also, medications, the ones you can buy in the shops, did you take any? PSS said you are not allowed those, even if it's cough mixture
teabags and supplements we are taking in our luggage
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

hi,
We used PSS, they packed up our whole medicine cabinet and contents without question, they also packed food in tins, jars and packets and labelled the box kitchen misc! On the down side they were very lazy, had tea breaks every half an hour and by the time the container came the following day, they still had two bedrooms and the loft to pack up, needless to say, when we unpacked this end, we had broken bedroom furniture and ornaments, that had been packed in a hurry!! strangely, we had a few missing items too a portable dvd player from daughters bedroom ( with all cables, headphones etc) and two Union Jack cushions
Just going through the insurance claim at the moment
They also forgot to bring the cases for TV's and glass top tables, packers blamed management, management blamed packers
Luckily all of those arrived in one piece.
We had a bit of a half hearted apology from PSS and 'we will look into it' nothing since, except a bill, apparantly they worked it out wrong and we still owe them £44...............
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Location: In the wilds of Chelsea, Québec but only 15 mins from Ottawa...
Tango Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by heading-west View Post
All of the removal companies put their prices up each March 1st no wonder he wants to wait!
I know! That's why I put AFTER in capital letters It's actually the international shipping rates that change every 1st March apparently... they sometimes go down too - although was always going to be unlikely in the current financial climate...

Anyhoo, inspite of this, GB Liners was not our most expensive quote and is in top place with AGS Fourwinds. Although more inclined towards GB just because of all the positive feedback available...
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:57 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tracys View Post
As promised prices for shipping;

The Moving Partnership
Quotation Two:
To supply removal services for 650 cubic feet of household and personal effects. All effects to be export packed by owner.

Household and personal effects to be collected from your residence in Basildon, Essex and loaded onto a sole use 20’ container. Shipping charges from origin to destination port of entry along with presentation to customs for clearance.

Delivery of consignment once cleared to your residence in Halifax, Canada including unpacking and removal of debris.

Our charges for the above service £2897.00
A full export packing service is available for an additional £350.00
TOTAL COST £3247.00

GB Liners

We have pleasure in quoting as follows:
To removal of furniture and effects, shown to our
representative, as listed, from your house to a normal house with good access in Halifax.
Inclusive of all necessary preparation, wrapping and
packing. Shipping in an exclusive shipping container and
includes normal customs clearance and delivery to your
new residence. Your furniture would be unwrapped, cartons
unpacked onto flat surfaces and debris removed on the day
of delivery. £3,970.00
Excludes agricultural examination fees if applicable.

To Cost of crate for LCD TV £40.00

The price quoted is for your effects to
be shipped in an exclusive 20 foot container.
The quotation has been costed using today's exchange rates for the US dollar (the
currency we have to pay the freight charges in) and the CN dollar (the currency we have
to pay the destination charges in). For your information, the exchange rates used are
US$1.58 and CN$1.56. If by the time you book this removal with us these rates have
changed by more than 5% in either direction, we may have to revise the quotation.
Total extra items £40.00

Cover against loss or damage as set out in clause 9.1 can
be arranged at £3.50% of the value of the goods.
Please complete the attached valuation form.

PSS

20 ft container, 647 cubic feet, door to door £3163.00 with packing.

GBL said we had more stuff though, can't find the figure but it was just over 800 cubic feet. PSS said we can add to the container and pay for the extra stuff to be packed at £1.70 per cubic foot.

Hope that makes sense. GBL dearer but quoting for more cubic feet, I added 10 more crates, so on balance not much in it.

Hope that helps. Think I'm going to use GBL, (if we ever get our visas), as they have had more positve reviews on here and the guy spent a lot of time explaining things to me. it's the right choice.

Tracy
hi Tracy thanks for that ill keep these in mind they are better than i thought. We went to emigrate show couple of weeks ago and were quoted approx £5000 for 20' container . Hope you dont mind me asking are you moving a big house we have a 3 bedroom place here , i know not all houses are same size but it gives me a rough idea me what to expect. Thanks alot
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Well totally exhausted, spent the entire weekend moving out and cleaning one place to clean and move into our new place.

So our container of stuff turned up at our new house yesterday morning, after being in storage in the UK for 2 month, shipped and then in storage for 6 weeks in Vancouver, not a thing was broken, everything was exactly as they packed it, even all my towels and bedding still smelt of fabric conditioner! It was so fab to see all our things, and the old adage about if it ain't nailed down pack it is so true. Tonight when I was using my old ironing board, I was so pleased I did. (not cause I like ironing, can't stand it, but it meant I didn't have to go to Canadian Dire and buy a new one!)

We are so delighted with GB Liners, A+ service.

Would not hesitate to recommend.

£3500 for a 20ft container.

PS - the only negative was all the Waitrose bags made me home sick!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Location: In the wilds of Chelsea, Québec but only 15 mins from Ottawa...
Tango Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ducktastic View Post
Well totally exhausted, spent the entire weekend moving out and cleaning one place to clean and move into our new place.

So our container of stuff turned up at our new house yesterday morning, after being in storage in the UK for 2 month, shipped and then in storage for 6 weeks in Vancouver, not a thing was broken, everything was exactly as they packed it, even all my towels and bedding still smelt of fabric conditioner! It was so fab to see all our things, and the old adage about if it ain't nailed down pack it is so true. Tonight when I was using my old ironing board, I was so pleased I did. (not cause I like ironing, can't stand it, but it meant I didn't have to go to Canadian Dire and buy a new one!)

We are so delighted with GB Liners, A+ service.

Would not hesitate to recommend.

£3500 for a 20ft container.

PS - the only negative was all the Waitrose bags made me home sick!
Congrats Ducktastic - really pleased it all went so well for you.

Now £3500 for a 20ft UK to Vancouver, I am imagining is just the basic price without the storage, insurance etc???
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Juliet C is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Best Shipping company?

This is such a useful thread, we are moving out to Vancouver in June from Cheshire, we don't have many household or personal goods but my husband needs to take his work tools (he is a arborist)

Any advise appreciated

Thankyou everyone
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by arniedog View Post
hi Tracy thanks for that ill keep these in mind they are better than i thought. We went to emigrate show couple of weeks ago and were quoted approx £5000 for 20' container . Hope you dont mind me asking are you moving a big house we have a 3 bedroom place here , i know not all houses are same size but it gives me a rough idea me what to expect. Thanks alot
Hi,

We have a three bed semi, new build, so not massive. Not taking much in way of furniture but lots of personal stuff like books, dvd's, xbox/wii games, computer. Big items are two bedsteads, three two seater sofas, three desks, coffee table. wall unit. Not taking any mattresses. Taking everything from kitchen except the white goods and small electricals. I'm also taking my ironing board!

It works out cheaper to have a 20 ft container than a shared one if going to Halifax only difference in price would depend on how much you put in it because they charge for packing it too.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by tracys; Mar 7th 2011 at 4:14 pm. Reason: added stuff!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracys View Post
Hi,

It works out cheaper to have a 20 ft container than a shared one if going to Halifax only difference in price would depend on how much you put in it because they charge for packing it too.

Hope this helps.
I've read somewhere before that it's cheaper to have a 20' container than a shared one if going to Halifax. Any idea why? We're going to really struggle to get everything into a 20', in fact it won't fit so we're having to look at leaving stuff behind. We had thought about a 20' and then we could always stuff anything we still want to take into a shared container but from what you say that wouldn't be a good idea?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DandNHill View Post
I've read somewhere before that it's cheaper to have a 20' container than a shared one if going to Halifax. Any idea why? We're going to really struggle to get everything into a 20', in fact it won't fit so we're having to look at leaving stuff behind. We had thought about a 20' and then we could always stuff anything we still want to take into a shared container but from what you say that wouldn't be a good idea?
Yes, we've found that it's cheaper to have a sole 20' rather than a shared 40' - we have had several quotes and this is the case with them all.

We are selling the really bulky stuff (like sofas etc) and leave a few things as 'maybes' so that if they can fit them in, great, if not, then leave them & also sell them.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:45 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

hi,
Hi, we used PSS at the end of last year, they had said absolutely no food too.

We checked again with the packers, as we had loads of chocolates kids had been given for xmas and a huge fruit cake from the outlaws- bit odd when you are about to leave the country 5 days after xmas. We ended up stuffing it all in our suitcases along with 2 packs of teabags and still unopened Marmite (kids now gone off it!) The packers scoffed half the fruitcake!

It's not worth the hassle and worry that they could inspect your container.........just look forward to the fun you can have spending hours in the supermarket trying to find the simplest of things!

Took all extra medications in checked in luggage too. Would recommend taking a supply of cheap supermarket paracetamol, it's expensive here. Also 6 months supply of your regular cleanser, toner, etc especially if you have sensitive skin or a fussy 17 year old daughter. BTW you can't get any Simple products here and lots of regular toiletries have nasty alcohol in them.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DandNHill View Post
Maybe you could air freight some of it to make more room in container. Depends how much though as it will be another expense to consider. We are thinking of air freighting our TV wii and xbox to keep the kids amused while we run round like headless chickens screaming, "remind me why we thought this was a good idea"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.