Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Shipping company?

Best Shipping company?

Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:13 pm
  #46  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 5
BenandJerry is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Best Shipping company?

Hi,

We used Britannia based in Lincolnshire, they came and packed the house for us, and confirmed all would fit in a 20ft container. When we arrived in Canada, they were delayed in delivering for 2 weeks, we had nothing, they then told us we had to pay extra as 15 boxes were sent groupage, they refused to release them until we paid the extra, would definately STAY AWAY from them.
BenandJerry is offline  
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:41 pm
  #47  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: In the wilds of Chelsea, Québec but only 15 mins from Ottawa...
Posts: 51
Tango Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Very interesting to read this as we are in the process of getting quotes - I see nothing on here about AGS Fourwinds, does anyone have any experience of using them?

Many thanks.
Tango Mike is offline  
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:01 pm
  #48  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 328
rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

I used Anglo Pacific or should I say Absolutely Pathetic. Virtually every piece of furniture was damaged. Precious antiques damaged, clothing crushed, packaging materials we paid for weren't supplied. We are currently claiming on the insurance which is an absolute nightmare as they are not paying out insured value as they don't deem items total loss and AP are no help. Once we have settled with insurers we will be taking further action against against AP for breach of contract. Steer clear.
rich07 is offline  
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:40 pm
  #49  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: West Vancouver
Posts: 106
ladylord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by Tango Mike View Post
Very interesting to read this as we are in the process of getting quotes - I see nothing on here about AGS Fourwinds, does anyone have any experience of using them?

Many thanks.
I would go with recommendations, but also watch them like a hawk as they pack up your precious cargo. They descended on our home on mass, so I found it hard to keep tabs whilst looking after my toddler.

On the PSS website they claim they are family run and marketing images show generous wrapping and packing materials. It was more the case that if an item e.g. lampshade or tv didn't fit in a box, they forced it in or just used basic wrapping paper. I even supplied some of the original boxes that we kept over the years, so they benefited from that cost wise.

•B.A.R Overseas (Bonded by the British Association of Removals)
•F.I.D.I Global Alliance (Worldwide Moving Association)
•F.A.I.M Accredited (Removal Quality Assurance Standard)


the above counts for nothing as far as I'm concerned. Our packers took numerous fag breaks and left early every day. I think partly they run out of time, which meant that some items were thrown in like a charity bin. When it comes to claiming insurance, it's a big hassle because you'll be asked to get quotes for repairs.
ladylord is offline  
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:55 pm
  #50  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 328
rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

I demanded that they provided the quotes and then argued how low they were. Insurers said they would only pay for 1 quote and we needed about 10. Make the loss adjuster earn their money
rich07 is offline  
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:17 am
  #51  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 94
Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Will let you know about EVL next week when (if) my stuff turns up. It is due into Vancouver 5th Feb and the local shippers expect to have it by 10th Feb. Gadzooks, we *may* just have it by the 13th Feb which is what EVL originally promised. There are other issues that may need ironing out yet - time will tell. It certainly hasn't been the easiest ride with them and they *could* have done better already but I'm open minded and have made clear that if they deliver on their commitments, I'll forgive some of the smaller issues. If they don't...watch this space!
Tripitaka is offline  
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:22 pm
  #52  
BE Enthusiast
 
tracys's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Fall River, Nova Scotia
Posts: 752
tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I used Anglo Pacific or should I say Absolutely Pathetic. Virtually every piece of furniture was damaged. Precious antiques damaged, clothing crushed, packaging materials we paid for weren't supplied. We are currently claiming on the insurance which is an absolute nightmare as they are not paying out insured value as they don't deem items total loss and AP are no help. Once we have settled with insurers we will be taking further action against against AP for breach of contract. Steer clear.
Thanks for the heads up Rich, will find an excuse to cancel their estimators visit in two weeks. How awful for you though, hope you get a satisfactory outcome when it's all over.
tracys is offline  
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:58 pm
  #53  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 94
Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by tracys View Post
Thanks for the heads up Rich, will find an excuse to cancel their estimators visit in two weeks. How awful for you though, hope you get a satisfactory outcome when it's all over.
Make sure to tell them that you are cancelling because they have a poor reputation on here. Maybe, when companies like this wake up to the fact that business is won and lost through forums like this, they will start getting their act together and provide better service. One can only live in hope...
Tripitaka is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:28 pm
  #54  
BE Enthusiast
 
tracys's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Fall River, Nova Scotia
Posts: 752
tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by Tripitaka View Post
Make sure to tell them that you are cancelling because they have a poor reputation on here. Maybe, when companies like this wake up to the fact that business is won and lost through forums like this, they will start getting their act together and provide better service. One can only live in hope...
Yes I will, maybe it'll do some good, you never know!
tracys is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:31 pm
  #55  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 3
hamilton1412 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by louisey66 View Post
Can anyone advise on good reliable shipping companies??
We have used Crown twice and they were good, no agents involved just one co in UK and Canada
hamilton1412 is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:09 am
  #56  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: france /england
Posts: 7
eggonlegs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Hi we moved from France so it was bit more complicated but used the Removal Group - they are basically like a broker and get the cheapest quotes so very competetive. Things went generally well, we shipped a 20ft container which left our place in southwest France on 20th October, it then went to England to be packed into the container and was delivered 29 November to Sylvan Lake, Alberta. Only had one hiccup - not all fit in but that was the problem with having to ship from France and send it onwards so now awaiting a second shipment of 5 packages. Overall very helpful and you can get the price down. They used a very good company this side, AMJ Campbell. Good luck.
eggonlegs is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:23 pm
  #57  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 63
JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

We have decided not to ship the majority of our possessions until we come to activate PR later down the line (we are going out next month on TWP/LMO).

However, the two best quotes we received were from PSS and Fox's International (which no-one seems to have mentioned yet). We did a lot of research and it seems that everyone has both good and bad things to say about any shipping company...the one that we decided to avoid like the plague though was The Removal Group.

That was based on the following two links (which we found on here):

http://www.removal-group.info/

http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...oup-c5773.html


Scary stuff!!
JandG is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:33 pm
  #58  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: West Vancouver
Posts: 106
ladylord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by JandG View Post
We have decided not to ship the majority of our possessions until we come to activate PR later down the line (we are going out next month on TWP/LMO).

However, the two best quotes we received were from PSS and Fox's International (which no-one seems to have mentioned yet). We did a lot of research and it seems that everyone has both good and bad things to say about any shipping company...the one that we decided to avoid like the plague though was The Removal Group.

That was based on the following two links (which we found on here):

http://www.removal-group.info/

http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...oup-c5773.html


Scary stuff!!
My experience shown in this post is with PSS. I would advise not using them.
ladylord is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:04 pm
  #59  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 63
JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by ladylord View Post
My experience shown in this post is with PSS. I would advise not using them.
I think the nature of International removals is such that if you look hard enough, every company will have someone bad-mouthing them because of a bad experience!
JandG is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:20 pm
  #60  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: West Vancouver
Posts: 106
ladylord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by JandG View Post
I think the nature of International removals is such that if you look hard enough, every company will have someone bad-mouthing them because of a bad experience!
I'm simply conveying my experience, and feel that these are better than testimonials you read on their website. It's an expensive business to have possessions which are cared for over the years packed, stored and shipped. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a better service when you're promised it. Once items are damaged it's near impossible to get them back to their former glory, or even replaced. I can assure you that the service I received was sloppy and rushed. I have many photos showing this.
ladylord is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.