Best Shipping company?

Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Melsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by BriSue39
Hi,
That's interesting.
We have used Robinsons, and our container is at sea right now, so I can't comment on any breakages etc.
We were quoted for a 20 ft container at 1100 cu.ft.
When Robinsons came to load the container(after storage) they said that I had too much stuff and some would have to go groupage. The "extra" 40 cu.ft. was gonna cost some £700.
I queried this with them, especially as I had reduced the total goods by quite a bit. I gave them a list of stuff I didn't really need, like golf clubs, and said IF space is tight, don't pack these items.
I am guessing that the packers failed to amend the actual volume of my stuff, which was quoted at 1100 cu.ft. , but somehow the container had shrunk to 1050 cu.ft. Hence the overload of 40 cu.ft.
Anyway, I have received an e-mail from them saying that all items have been packed, so only time will tell.
I was advised by another shipping company to watch out for this type of "rip-off" because in their opinion, Robinsons could not ship my goods at the price quoted and still make a profit.
I have also been advised to watch out for a similar thing at the Canadian end, so I'll keep you posted.
I'd heard about this type of "ripping off" too but due to all the good reviews about GB Liners I trusted that this wouldn't happen. The movers on the Canadian side were fantastic. They put all the boxes and furniture in the rooms we wanted it in and they re-assembled furniture without any problems. I'm sure you're shipment will be fine and good luck.
Melsa