Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Shipping company?

Best Shipping company?

Old Oct 30th 2010, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC View Post
Where are you based?

I know a good family run one in Hampshire did great job for us and excellent price no frills though very well packed. Not one item damaged or broken at this end on delivery.
Hi
We're only in Sussex so might be interested in the company you used, what was there name? Thanks
Old Oct 30th 2010, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We went with The Moving Partnership (Tracey 01379 851075...mention me if you call please) and they were very good....very fast delivery into Montreal from Uk. We did it for 5333 pounds for a 40' container with full export pack and unpack.

We had some problems when it arrived here as the Agent in Canada then passed it to another company who did not manage to contact me until the container had been sitting on a truck bed for a whopping 21 days. Incurring thousands of $'s in charges.....so I got onto Tracey at The Moving Partnership and she immediately sorted everything out.

They paid for its release and then will reclaim the money off the Agent who did not have the sense to go back to who had given him the job...preferring to try searching my obsolete account on Facebook, so as I had changed e-mail addresses...facebook was not given my new one, so I did not get the message. When he eventually made contact...he said that his next course of action was to drive down from Toronto to Windsor to try and find me....absolutely crazy.

The upshot of this for me was a delay I needed so it did not have to go into storage until my rental was available.

This was not The Moving Partnership's fault and the way they handled it was superb. I believe it is a measure of a company, how they handle any problems...and they were superb.

They can give really good deals as they are able to search the whole market for shipping companies. What a lot of people don't realise is that some of the bigger companies are affiliated to certain shipping lines...who do not offer good prices...so they are unable or unwilling to trim costs.

Good luck with your move
Stef
Originally Posted by louisey66 View Post
Can anyone advise on good reliable shipping companies??
Old Oct 31st 2010, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

I agree with Lins,

We used the moving partnership, through Tracey. The move was handled very professionally.

We had Thomas Casserleys, Britannia removals on the UK side, who did an amazing job.
We had AMJ Campbell from Edmonton on this side, who once again did a fantastic job.

From leaving our house in the UK, to arriving at our house in Edmonton was 4 weeks. No damage found as of yet.

We paid £4100 for a sole use 20` container.

Nige
Old Nov 18th 2010, 6:44 am
Just Joined

livalittle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louisey66 View Post
Can anyone advise on good reliable shipping companies??
I strongly advise against using PSS. Terrible packing by the UK team, who funnily enough disliked our criticism of their methods. It has caused much distress now that our goods have arrived and been unpacked. The Canadian agents and delivery guys however, were excellent and polite.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_connors76 View Post
We used GB Liners and I highly recommend them... smoothly handled on both sides of the ocean!
We are using GB Liners too, so far so good! We also liked them because they are local to us in Cheltenham, and we like the idea that there is a local office so we can go and see them in person if we want.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:18 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livalittle View Post
I strongly advise against using PSS. Terrible packing by the UK team, who funnily enough disliked our criticism of their methods. It has caused much distress now that our goods have arrived and been unpacked. The Canadian agents and delivery guys however, were excellent and polite.
Does anyone have any good things to say about PSS? We've just signed the paperwork and the cheque for the deposit is in the post. Should I be cancelling it? They were as competitive as anyone else and actually slightly overestimated the volume of or stuff to give us a bit of leeway....
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Based on what everyone has said, I would cancel and go with someone else, tell them why you are cancelling and they may just 'up their game' in future. We went for an independant company who was able to undercut everone else massively and because they are independant....they are not affiliated to just certain shipping companies....like a lot of the bigger players are.

Ask yourself....based on what has been said here....would you now feel confident that your stuff is in the right hands....why add the constant worry to your list of concerns. We used The moving Partnership.....

Moving Partnership Limited
0845 0037335
++ 44 1379 851075
[email protected]
www.movingpartnership.co.uk

They will tell you the companies they are using for your move....in our case it was Hamiltons of East Anglia this side and Atlantic and Pacific delivered. We were able to have a look at the companies before they shipped...just to reassure ourselves of their credentials. The most important thing in the move, is how it is packed in the first place. We had NO breakages. If you get a quote say I sent you...good bonhomie and all that.

They cost us £5333 for a full export pack in 40' container....others were quoting between 7k and 12k.
Good luck with whatever decision you make and with your move
Stef

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike View Post
Does anyone have any good things to say about PSS? We've just signed the paperwork and the cheque for the deposit is in the post. Should I be cancelling it? They were as competitive as anyone else and actually slightly overestimated the volume of or stuff to give us a bit of leeway....
Old Nov 27th 2010, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

JasonnJane is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
we have just moved to lethbridge alberta from NE England. We used EVL Shipping and they were fantastic. We did DIY shipping which cut the costs in half. We had sole use of a 40ft container door to door which only took 4 weeks and cost us 2800 (pounds). We would advise them to anyone and it does not matter where in the UK you live, they will come to you wherever you are
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JasonnJane View Post
hi
we have just moved to lethbridge alberta from NE England. We used EVL Shipping and they were fantastic. We did DIY shipping which cut the costs in half. We had sole use of a 40ft container door to door which only took 4 weeks and cost us 2800 (pounds). We would advise them to anyone and it does not matter where in the UK you live, they will come to you wherever you are
We also used EVL, they were the most competitive, have a good reputation on here and had a container going 10 days after we spoke to them. That was a whirlwind time as we had 3 days to get everything ready and they came and packed on the 4th. We were only shipping 160 - 180 cu ft in groupage though and the price quoted for 160 was £1020 for self pack and £1075 for export pack with materials.

Interestingly, the consensus seems to be that if you choose export pack and have the shipping company do it, there is less hassle at the destination in getting it released from customs. Worth every penny for us but in hindsight, the materials would have cost more than EVL charged us so we were on a winner there.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:48 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

What a really helpful post, thank you so much OP for starting it! My eyes start rolling gently around in my head when I think about shipping, but eventually they will stop and I WILL tackle the problem!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

We used Robinsons and were very happy with them. Thier quote didn't look the most competitive at first, but when you factor in the insurance cost (frankly ludicrous with some companies), they came our very well.

Crew in the UK were fantastic and in NS were fine. They were confident about us bringing a couple of fragile items (no real value, just sentimental) that we were just going to leave behind rather than get them mangled. They arrived in the same condition as they left. Amazing
Old Nov 27th 2010, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

We also used Robinsons (fantastic crew) and great this side too. They were super efficient (one less thing to worry about). Worth every penny in my opinion.

Poppit.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JasonnJane View Post
hi
Did they provide the packing materials? Did you have to wrap up furniture, i.e. sideboards, book cases etc, yourself? Did the price include insurance?

Thanks
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
Did they provide the packing materials? Did you have to wrap up furniture, i.e. sideboards, book cases etc, yourself? Did the price include insurance?

Thanks
They did for us and they did all the packing. I watched them and they did a good job of it too; I'm thinking of getting them in to do my Christmas presents.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

JasonnJane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joepublic View Post

Thanks
You can choose which you would like them to do. We packed our own in the UK (which cuts the cost dramatically) We went to a local international removals company and bought packaging i.e. mattress covers,boxes, cardboard wardrobes and bubble wrap. With the sideboards, bookcases, dining room table etc we covered in old blankets and quilts. We prefered to do the UK end ourselves 1)to half the costs and 2) so that we knew it was packed and protected to our liking. If anything was damaged it was our fault. The most important thing is to do your inventory. I did a detailed inventory for myself i.e. numbered every box and listed exactly what was in it so that at this end I only unpacked the boxes we needed urgently. Worked like a dream and not a thing was broken. We also did the inventory for customs which you need and take 3 copies. I can give you advise on this list if you need it.
The guys who brought the goods at this end were fantastic, they unloaded the truck (in 10" of snow and also never stopped snowing) brought the whole lot in and put it exactly where we wanted it. No complaints whatsoever.
Our trip to customs went very smoothly, guided by the company this end, we were in and out within ten minutes (all down to the itemized inventory which we did).
All in all, worth every penny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.