Reload this Page >

Best Shipping company?

Best Shipping company?

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:07 am
Just Joined

celticwoman2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by sjgreenman
We're planning on going with Fox, anybody used them? Originally we'd looked at 1st Move and City Movers, dunno had never heard of them before, but they both had questionable reviews, and Fox is a bit local so we thought they'd be a good bet, just wanted an opinion on their international side of things really.
I used Fox and so far I have been pleased with them - the shipment is now in Toronto waiting for my possession date so they can deliver to my new house. Fox were very helpful in the UK - it remains to be seen how things proceed from here. Iexpect my shipment after 30 Sept so I will let you know how the items travelled. I'm concerned about the comments about Tippets as they are handling the Canadian side of things. They have been great in our communications so far,
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:31 am
Just Joined

AriH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by celticwoman2011
I used Fox and so far I have been pleased with them - the shipment is now in Toronto waiting for my possession date so they can deliver to my new house. Fox were very helpful in the UK - it remains to be seen how things proceed from here. Iexpect my shipment after 30 Sept so I will let you know how the items travelled. I'm concerned about the comments about Tippets as they are handling the Canadian side of things. They have been great in our communications so far,
Hello,
My experience with Tippets is that they were very friendly in their emails, I dealt with Gail. At the same time, it was very unnerving, they could not never agree to schedule a delivery for me in Montreal. In the end, my shipment was in their warehouse for nearly two months. I had to put some pressure on them and they ended up subcontracting to another company. I do hope your shipment will reach you quicker than mine!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 4:15 am
Just Joined

celticwoman2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AriH
Hello,
My experience with Tippets is that they were very friendly in their emails, I dealt with Gail. At the same time, it was very unnerving, they could not never agree to schedule a delivery for me in Montreal. In the end, my shipment was in their warehouse for nearly two months. I had to put some pressure on them and they ended up subcontracting to another company. I do hope your shipment will reach you quicker than mine!
Hi,
Thanks for sharing your experience - I am also dealing with Gail and she has been very good - just hope that they will be prompt with my delivery or I might be sleeping on the floor!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 7:14 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Well fox came in and told me, re the ivory, we will hide it and call it an ornament. Re the blowpipe, ornament. Oh and by law they have to do a full pack, repacking everything we have packed (which is fine) or they can't ship it. Oh and we only need 20ft container. Both others have said will jam pack a 40 needless to say I don't care how cheap they are I'm not trusting them with my worldly goods!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

We self packed and used a company called EWEPACK. It was so easy to do. All the quotes we were given for a packed container came in at double so a bit of hard work saved us loads.
We went for a 20' when we were told not all would fit and we got it all in!!!

The only thing we misunderstood was how long it would take to arrive. We got it in our heads that it would take 10 days to Halifax when in fact it left on 26th July and was delivered on 24th August!!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:15 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

We've been told 4-5wks Southampton to Vancouver. Groan!
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:47 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Best Shipping company? - another word of warning about White & Co!

I had quite a few issues with White & Co! I am putting now filling a claim and would warn others of possible issues:

- I was quite shocked by the lack of care in packing, things had just been thrown into boxes. Feet from my chest had been pulled apart by White & Co, the packers might have wanted to make sure my furniture fitted into their boxes! And pieces from a bookcase were missing, ensuring that it could not be safely put back together. I had selected White & Co as the feedback on this site was good. However, I would strongly recommend that, regardless of the company you choose, you keep a good eye on the packers! Four were sent to my home, so I could only watch two, and unsurprisingly, most of damage was caused by the other two!

- Damages etc...: take any pictures as the delivery men unpack, as I have found it difficult to find the time afterward. I work during the day and was away quite a few weekends. Taking pictures and lodging a claim take a lot longer than you would expect.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:31 pm
Mpnp

jumponmebones is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We used 1st move international, they put your goods on pallets, (packaging was excellent) and weigh your goods, our goods took 15 days to arrive to Canada.
Hope this helps
Old Oct 12th 2011, 6:39 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Best Shipping company?

just a quick update. White and co have been in this week , starting Monday and finishing today. The 2 guys nick and mark worked like mad, they were really good and i would highly recommend them to anyone. Lets hope the Canadian side are just as good. Only problem is now we are sitting on the floor eating off paper plates with our fingers
Old Oct 13th 2011, 6:49 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Best Shipping company?

ok guys now comes the best part , paying the bill. We got the invoice today , full wrap and pack service all fits into a 20 ft container from north Essex to Cambridge on £3650
Old Oct 13th 2011, 6:58 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by arniedog
just a quick update. White and co have been in this week , starting Monday and finishing today. The 2 guys nick and mark worked like mad, they were really good and i would highly recommend them to anyone. Lets hope the Canadian side are just as good. Only problem is now we are sitting on the floor eating off paper plates with our fingers
Brings back memories of our last fish and chip supper sat on the floor 10 months ago!

Good practise for eating Canadian style. My kids have now forgotten how to use cutlery properly...it's fingers or forks only, lol

Hope your move goes smoothly
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:16 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

We have contacted White & Co and they haven't replied to us. So far we have had Britannia out to us, we are waiting for their quote. PSS, GB Liners and Crown won't come out to value as we are not sending a housefull. So I have had to do my own assessments of how much we are going to send - all very complicated.

So far PSS have come back with £4100 for 735 cubic ft, yikes, we thought that was quite expensive, so I don't know if I've overestimated. Have to fill out the proforma's for GB and Crown but am now going to wait to see what Britannia come back with and use their cubic footage.

I have a headache coming on already, lol.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:01 pm
finally together...

Well for a 40' we have been quoted full pack Southampton to Vancouver,
Gb liners £8,300
White and co £7,300
Fox, who think a 20' will be sufficient £7,500
Pickfords £6,500

The guy from pickfords knew his stuff and correctly informed me that the hubby's ivory is not covered by permits as it's personal effects(I have that in writing from cites uk and Canada just to be sure )

It's still a hell of a lot of money!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by __TJ__
Well for a 40' we have been quoted full pack Southampton to Vancouver,
Gb liners £8,300
White and co £7,300
Fox, who think a 20' will be sufficient £7,500
Pickfords £6,500

The guy from pickfords knew his stuff and correctly informed me that the hubby's ivory is not covered by permits as it's personal effects(I have that in writing from cites uk and Canada just to be sure )

It's still a hell of a lot of money!
I researched the same companies than you and could not decide between GB liners and White & Co. GB were more expensive and White & Co very proactive, so I choose White & Co and really came to regret it.

I had checked referenceline.com too before finalizing my choice, and when I wanted to leave a less than glorious feedback I found out that White & Co select their own feedback...

Hiring White & Co turned up to be a very unpleasant and utterly stressful experience for me. I hired
them to move from London to Montreal. Their choice of Canadian partner was ill-advised.
My container sat for two months in their warehouse in Toronto, as somehow it was inconvenient to deliver as far as downtown Montreal, despite their initial
acceptance of the contract. We had many email exchanges before they finally subcontracted
to another company. Once my boxes reached me, I was stunned by the lack of care in packing: stickers had been applied onto my furniture (a nice reminder!), feet were pulled from small furniture units, two pieces of furniture had been boxed with all their contents (plates! with no wrapping!); books had not been laid down in boxes and arrived with damaged spines (hardbacks) and twisted (softbacks).
Four packers had been sent to my home but I was only able to
supervise two of them. I have filled a claim but it is very uncertain that I
will hear from them.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

chobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nice

Well our 40ft container arrived on Wednesday. We used White and Co however in the end had to do quite a bit of packing ourselves due to the timing of completion on our house in the UK. They sent two different teams, one on day 1 and another on day 2. I have to say day 2 team worked so hard and got everything done just but it would have been much less stressful if team 1 had worked harder. Anyway, the company over here in Nova Scotia have been excellent (Halifax transfer). I was contacted in advance by email and then phone to ensure I had all my documents in order. I was then driven to customs to clear the container and it was all done in under 15 minutes. The day after, our container arrived at 11am and was all unloaded and part unpacked by 3.30pm!!!!! (We asked that some boxes by loaded into the garage only but all heavy, large items were placed in rooms and assembled as required). A great team at this end.

We did have some damaged items (a couple of dents/chips in furniture) which happened at the UK end and have only come across 1 broken plate so far. So I would certainly recommend White and Co in the UK but I honestly feel everyone will have good and bad experiences no matter who they choose. After all, it's not as it you're moving just down the road so there are so many factors to bear in mind. Oh and we took separate insurance as this is much cheaper than going with the shipping companies insurers. We used Letton Percival (based in Liverpool) - once again, excellent service and quote. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.