Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Shipping company?

Best Shipping company?

Old May 30th 2011, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Cawsand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

That seems like a good deal for insurance at 1.5%. I had a quote from Excess International Movers Ltd at 3%.

Regarding the customs list do I need to know how many books are in a box or is it sufficient to just write 'books'?

We are moving from Leeds to Ottawa and 1st Move seems like a great option and really competitive. We don't have enough stuff for a full container. The only big items we are taking are the sofa, arm chair and desk. Their approx 10 day service seems almost unbelievable though... after reading this thread. I would love to hear about anyones experience using them.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

ladylord is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Garminforerunner
I wasn't suggesting for a moment that you hadn't had a bad experience with them. I was merely highlighting that for every bad experience there will be a good one and vice-versa...I am certain that there are some companies that get wrong more often than they get it right, but from what I have researched (on this forum) PSS are among the more reputable of companies, along with Fox's, Whites and many others that people have mentioned in this thread.
It's also common knowledge that Moving Companies pay particular interest to what it said in these forums and are monitoring them on a regular basis. I hope that the bad ones take note.

Last edited by ladylord; May 30th 2011 at 6:35 pm.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:56 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garminforerunner
I wasn't suggesting for a moment that you hadn't had a bad experience with them. I was merely highlighting that for every bad experience there will be a good one and vice-versa...I am certain that there are some companies that get wrong more often than they get it right, but from what I have researched (on this forum) PSS are among the more reputable of companies, along with Fox's, Whites and many others that people have mentioned in this thread.
Maybe it was just this consultant, but I just had Fox tell me that I couldn't ship our household contents because my husband is only on a TWP.
They later retracted that in two stages; first, saying that I could ship some goods, but not a much as I wanted to ship (but not stating exactly how much I could ship), then only when I asked them to show me the paperwork that supported this did they send me an e-mail to say that actually I could ship my full complement of goods.
That sort of misinformation doesn't inspire confidence. I am not inclined to trust my stuff to someone who give me completely incorrect advice. So, my experience of Fox is not good.
Maybe there are bad experiences from every company - no-one's perfect!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Binty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really nice

Hi,

Been reading through the info on this thread ..... very helpful. My question is; has anyone just taken a crate load of belongings? I just want to take personal possesions i.e framed wall photos, bicycle etc.

Binty
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:28 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

we brought all our home contents in a container with a company called the removal group based in sutton coldfield, they priced our stuff up, we paid, then once they had removed our bits charged us another £1800 saying we had more than originally quoted for!?
we argued the toss with them for 4 months gettin on for 5 then we had to settle as they threatened to sell our stuff then the cheeky barstewards tried to charge us for storage too!
when we had our stuff delivered we found they had repacked everything and badly too, xbox games / dvd's jus chucked into boxes with kitchen stuff all sorts, a pine ottoman was in bits and i mean bits! lots of stuff broken, we've claimed on the ins and they wont explain why they repacked everything either, can understand if it was due to customs but when customs open a box they tape it with hm custom printed tape, so werent them!

even the canadian delivery men said theyd never seen anything like it!

so would def not reccomend this co theyre a shower of money grabbing so an so's!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:34 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottandsel
we brought all our home contents in a container with a company called the removal group based in sutton coldfield, they priced our stuff up, we paid, then once they had removed our bits charged us another £1800 saying we had more than originally quoted for!?
we argued the toss with them for 4 months gettin on for 5 then we had to settle as they threatened to sell our stuff then the cheeky barstewards tried to charge us for storage too!
when we had our stuff delivered we found they had repacked everything and badly too, xbox games / dvd's jus chucked into boxes with kitchen stuff all sorts, a pine ottoman was in bits and i mean bits! lots of stuff broken, we've claimed on the ins and they wont explain why they repacked everything either, can understand if it was due to customs but when customs open a box they tape it with hm custom printed tape, so werent them!
even the canadian delivery men said theyd never seen anything like it!

so would def not reccomend this co theyre a shower of money grabbing so an so's!

Not always. Some Customs move containers to a sufferance warehouse where they employ casual labour. The way they handle and throw goods back together would make you hair curl.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

New2Vancouver is an unknown quantity at this point

We have used Allied Pickfords several times now and they have always been pretty good.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Best Shipping company?

Our stuff is on its way.....

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by joepublic
Bet you are excited and nervous at the same time. I was OK untill that bloody container turned up, and then I fell to bits.

Have a safe trip.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:57 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joepublic
Way-hey!!!
Good job well done!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:22 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Not always. Some Customs move containers to a sufferance warehouse where they employ casual labour. The way they handle and throw goods back together would make you hair curl.
really! didnt know that! well yeah made my hair curl, temper frayed and pizzled me off a lot!!!!
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by scottandsel
really! didnt know that! well yeah made my hair curl, temper frayed and pizzled me off a lot!!!!
Did you get charged for a Customs inspection? if you didnt then it wasnt opened by them. If you did, it could have been them that made the mess. Did your goods arrive in the container at your home, or was it off loaded by the receiving agent?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:40 pm
not wired right

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Did you get charged for a Customs inspection? if you didnt then it wasnt opened by them. If you did, it could have been them that made the mess. Did your goods arrive in the container at your home, or was it off loaded by the receiving agent?
no charges for customs inspection no! it was all off loaded by recieving agent, we had a few boxes that had been opened then retaped with hm customs.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 2:16 pm
Island life at last

Decision made - White & Co.
Collecting in a couple of weeks.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

brookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nice

hello all,

i'm looking into shipping companies and have found this thread so helpful.
I do have a question to throw out there to everybody...

has anybody used a 20'sole use container and put a vehicle (toyota hilux) in and packed the boxes around it?

I know that the shipping companies build a crate around the car, but is this always done after the boxes have been loaded and then the car done at the port?

We were hoping to get the car in then see how many boxes we can stack/cram in around, under above it etc.

We want to pack all boxes ourselves.

Any info would be great, thank you
brookel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.