Reload this Page >

Best Shipping company?

Best Shipping company?

Old May 13th 2011, 2:12 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by helcat12
Neither are we!
Does anybody get those expenses paid, except inter-company transfers?
But is that so bad a quote? A 20ft container is about 1170 cubic feet. A 40 ft is bout 2390 cubic feet and since they charge by capacity, a 40ft should be about double the cost of a 20ft and so it sounds about right.
I got £4.5 grand for 20ft and you are getting £7-8K for twice as much capacity.
They charge by weight or capacity, which ever is the greater.
Old May 13th 2011, 2:21 pm
T4T
Forum Regular

T4T will become famous soon enoughT4T will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the advice. I'll compare the packing materials and agents used in Canada.

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
What you need to consider is the quality of the packing materials used when packing, after all if you deem it valuable enough to ship then you want it to ship safely. You need to ask them which agent they will use in Canada, also a very important consideration. I would be interested to see who they send your shipment to.

Good luck.
Old May 13th 2011, 5:54 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
They charge by weight or capacity, which ever is the greater.
Then I am glad we ditched the thousands of books my husband and me had collected (bar a few we really want to take with us.)
They weighed a tonne when I took them to the charity shop!
Old May 16th 2011, 12:14 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent thread! thanks to the OP for starting it.

Picking up on an earlier post where folk were buying items on Ebay etc to take with them...

It might even make sense to buy certain items new over here, like flat-pack furniture, kids beds etc. This is ideal, as it is already expertly packed, specifically designed to be shunted about warehouses and distributors.

Ailsa is currently in Canada with work, and she visited Ikea. Aparently it is MUCH more expensive over there.

I have been searching Kijiji etc, and they really don't have the same price range as we do over here with the likes of Gumtree. We once picked up a FREE suite from Gumtree and it was brilliant. The nice folk had even cleaned and Scotchgaurded it for us, lol. Don't see any of that on Kijiji. (We just got a new dog and thought it a bit daft to spend hundreds on a new suite)

This GB Liner lot are definately sticking out to me. Not necessarily cheap, but possibly worth paying extra if their rep is anything to go by.

Has anyone used a 40 footer and used half for household and half for a car?

I know they have to build a crate round the car, but no idea how much that all costs.
Old May 16th 2011, 3:30 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Has anyone used a 40 footer and used half for household and half for a car?

I know they have to build a crate round the car, but no idea how much that all costs.
We did - they packed the furniture etc. into the container at the house then took the container to their depot to create the partition and we drove the car to the depot the following day for loading. Don't recall seeing a separate cost but don't think it was anything major - basically what we expected for a 40 footer. As expected Canadian Customs opened the container and charged us $$$ for an inspection!!
Old May 16th 2011, 5:53 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent thread! thanks to the OP for starting it.

Picking up on an earlier post where folk were buying items on Ebay etc to take with them...

It might even make sense to buy certain items new over here, like flat-pack furniture, kids beds etc. This is ideal, as it is already expertly packed, specifically designed to be shunted about warehouses and distributors.

Ailsa is currently in Canada with work, and she visited Ikea. Aparently it is MUCH more expensive over there.
This is not allowed and if they find new things in your consignment they will not be happy and you will have to pay import duty on them. The rules say the items must be yours and must have been in use by you prior to shipping. I suppose with second hand things from something like E-bay they look used because they are second hand anyway and who is to know that they haven't been used by someone else rather than you, but clearly new stuff in original boxes? You might not get away with that.
The GB Liners rep specifically asked me if I was buying any new furniture prior to moving, so they do ask!
Old May 16th 2011, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Decision made......GB Liners

Originally Posted by joepublic
Spoke to GB Liners again today and the 'best' they can do is £4,300 + ins (down from their original quote of £4,595). PSS' initial quote came through last night via email at £3,987.
In the interest of getting a good service, as opposed to the cheapest price, I have decided to go with GB Liners for our move from Bristol to Ontario. After a bit of haggling I asked them to send me the revised quote (down from £4,595 + 2.9% ins to £4,300 + 2.6% ins) which they did, however, when I read through the details the shipping method had changed from 'Shipping in an exclusive shipping container (20')' to 'Shipping in a container with other consignments.' I wasn't particularly impressed and they've now agreed to provide the original sole 20' container at the lower price.

In terms of insurance, I'm looking at either Letton Percival or insure-your-move. Both have received decent feedback on BE and come in at £200+ cheaper (with no excess) than using the remover's provider.

I'll let you know how it all goes in due course.
Old May 16th 2011, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by helcat12
This is not allowed and if they find new things in your consignment they will not be happy and you will have to pay import duty on them. The rules say the items must be yours and must have been in use by you prior to shipping. I suppose with second hand things from something like E-bay they look used because they are second hand anyway and who is to know that they haven't been used by someone else rather than you, but clearly new stuff in original boxes? You might not get away with that.
The GB Liners rep specifically asked me if I was buying any new furniture prior to moving, so they do ask!
Damn, thanks for the heads-up though.

So, I would need to buy new things, take them out the boxes, build them, scratch them, dissassemble, and re-package, lol. Would probably still be worth it
Old May 16th 2011, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cxx
We did - they packed the furniture etc. into the container at the house then took the container to their depot to create the partition and we drove the car to the depot the following day for loading. Don't recall seeing a separate cost but don't think it was anything major - basically what we expected for a 40 footer. As expected Canadian Customs opened the container and charged us $$$ for an inspection!!
I'm going off the idea of taking a car, there just seems to be too many hoops to jump through. Thanks for the reply
Old May 16th 2011, 8:07 pm
Island life at last

Damn, thanks for the heads-up though.

So, I would need to buy new things, take them out the boxes, build them, scratch them, dissassemble, and re-package, lol. Would probably still be worth it
Now you can see whay other people buy off E-bay - they let other people buy new things, take them out of the boxes, build them, scratch them, disassemble and then re-package them
And then they buy them on E-bay and take them to Canada!
The furniture isn't so expensive if you hunt down good places. My husband bought a lovely solid wood bed in the Langley area (frame and mattress) for a very reasonable sum (about $500). It meant sleeping on an inflatable bed for a couple of months, but now he has found this place we may well get all our beds there. It is a warehouse and I mean a real warehouse, so no shopfront and just an arrow ad on the Highway. Low overheads, I suppose.
I think it is worth taking your time to look thoroughly for good, reasonable furniture because otherwise, yes, furnishing a house in Canada can be very expensive.
Old May 17th 2011, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going off the idea of taking a car, there just seems to be too many hoops to jump through. Thanks for the reply
We originally were shipping a car and 3 quad bikes and quickly went off the idea due to all the hassle it would cause!!!
Old May 18th 2011, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

glennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond repute

moving to PEI anyone got recommendations and what sort of price to expect for around 500 cu ft.
Old May 18th 2011, 12:53 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samjr400
We originally were shipping a car and 3 quad bikes and quickly went off the idea due to all the hassle it would cause!!!
Our car was over 15 years old so apart from steam cleaning, inspection cost and pulling together some paperwork it wasn't too much hassle. Less than 15 years old is a different story although we also bought a car from the US without much fuss too
Old May 23rd 2011, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Just had my quote leaving 10 june I am paying £2500.00 20ft container sole use collect in Devon and then on to Vancouver. We are packing our selves
Old May 23rd 2011, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

GB Liners took us out to Vancouver, we thought they were so amazing that 7 months later they are taking us back to the UK. As I have said here before can't recommend highly enough.

Shipping costs UK to BC

20 ft container - £4000 (with insurance)

Shipping costs BC to UK

20 ft container - £5000 (with insurance)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.