Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Shipping company?

Best Shipping company?

Old May 12th 2011, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: GB Liners quote

Originally Posted by davidsk
Bear in mind the quote is not final. You can negotiate the price and insurance.

They initially quoted £1,130 for the UK end + £3,530 from London to Halifax (£4660 in total for 20' solo container), plus 3.5% insurance.

We told them we got a much better quote. Then they came down £3660 in total + 2.75% insurance.

It is still not as good as the Fox International, £2770 in total + 2.6% insurance. So we chose Fox.
The GB Liners quote came in today at £4,595 plus 2.9% insurance, which is too much for us. We've got Fox quoting tomorrow, I'll post that when it comes in. Incidentally, I got an insurance quote for 'All Risks' from Clegg Gifford & Co Ltd and it came back at 1.50% + IPT. Has anyone gone down this route as it appears much cheaper than using the remover's insurance provider?
Old May 12th 2011, 3:46 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GB Liners quote

Originally Posted by joepublic
The GB Liners quote came in today at £4,595 plus 2.9% insurance, which is too much for us. We've got Fox quoting tomorrow, I'll post that when it comes in. Incidentally, I got an insurance quote for 'All Risks' from Clegg Gifford & Co Ltd and it came back at 1.50% + IPT. Has anyone gone down this route as it appears much cheaper than using the remover's insurance provider?
Bear in mind when it comes to insurance you can insure just the items you want to. So, for example, if you have 30 items that it would cost you a fortune to replace, these can be identified and covered individually. When we move over to Canada, I think we insured more valuable items to a value of £20,000, on the assumption that should anything else be damaged or lost, its would be cheaper to replace it on arrival rather than insuring our entire house contents (I think my wife had insured our house contents in the UK for about £100k). At 1.5%, this saved us a huge amount of money.

You do, of course, take a risk that your container might fasll overboard, but that is the nature of insurance. As it was, we had no damage or losses.
Old May 12th 2011, 4:02 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GB Liners quote

Where are you going to?
I just got a quote from Fox for sole use 20ft container to Vancouver area (Abbotsford) which came in at just over £4600, with me packing all the small items and personal belongings and them packing the furniture.
Movecorp and Excess Baggage quoted only a hundred or so either side of this and GB Liners are coming tomorrow.
Bizarrely, Crown quoted me well over £7K for the same move. Why on earth that is, I do not know.
Old May 12th 2011, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

We have gone with Robinsons - sole use of a 20ft container, Derby to Vancouver for £4150, with insurance at 1%, which we didn't think was too bad.
Old May 12th 2011, 5:42 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nativenewyorker
We have gone with Robinsons - sole use of a 20ft container, Derby to Vancouver for £4150, with insurance at 1%, which we didn't think was too bad.
What are they like to deal with? What is their reputation?
I really liked the guy at GB Liners - he was helpful and understood my circumstances and returned my call, unlike Crown, who didn't and then sent an e-mail still without a quote and then when they did it was over £7grand!
I still have to see what the quote comes out as, though. Hope it is good.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Fox quote

Initial quote in from Fox at £4,080.
Old May 12th 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

Robinsons seemed very professional and offered a good service Have read some poor reviews on here (as with all of them), but on the whole the reviews are good. I think really it is the luck of the draw!
We too liked the man from GB liners. The only thing that put me off was that they were quite pricey to start with but were very quick to reduce it and then reduce it again - made me think that they were ripping us off in the first place. Having said that I am sure the majority of them rip us off to some extent
Old May 12th 2011, 8:17 pm
Island life at last

Robinsons seemed very professional and offered a good service Have read some poor reviews on here (as with all of them), but on the whole the reviews are good. I think really it is the luck of the draw!
We too liked the man from GB liners. The only thing that put me off was that they were quite pricey to start with but were very quick to reduce it and then reduce it again - made me think that they were ripping us off in the first place. Having said that I am sure the majority of them rip us off to some extent
Well, we are sitting ducks.
Or perhaps moving ducks....
Some I have had have reduced the price but not by anything much, so I will find out tomorrow if I get the same "price it high and then reduce it" approach from GB Liners.
I am surprised that they do that when they must know that there are forums like these that share information between customers.
Old May 12th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree, and everyone that we had out asked where I had got their names from and when I told them about this forum they were all aware of it! I suppose if a few go with the higher prices then it makes it worth their while.

I noticed on another thread you are near to Nottingham? We live near Derby but travel to Nottingham weekly for the ice hockey!!!
Old May 12th 2011, 8:53 pm
Island life at last

I agree, and everyone that we had out asked where I had got their names from and when I told them about this forum they were all aware of it! I suppose if a few go with the higher prices then it makes it worth their while.

I noticed on another thread you are near to Nottingham? We live near Derby but travel to Nottingham weekly for the ice hockey!!!
Well, I live in the countryside somewhere in the "Derbyshire Triangle" between Sheffield, Derby and Nottingham. I was working in Derby until recently and our furniture is in storage there at the moment. It is hard to get to our house in a large truck and impossible to get a large vehicle down the drive for loading, so during a visit from my husband over Easter we got a man with a van and shuttled it all to the storage. No problem for me - I am living with the stuff I am going to burn on my last night here!!!
Tomorrow I am taking some more boxes of stuff - bedlinen, ornaments, CDs and books to the storage, which is where I am meeting the GB Liners man.
Ice hockey fans - you will get on well over there!
Old May 12th 2011, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

skara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really nice

We've just had three quotes for moving our stuff this summer from near Milton Keynes to Calgary. I'm wondering if we made a mistake telling the company that we're going on a job transfer (which we are, but we're on a tight budget because we've pushed for this, and we're not getting an expat style relocation package!).

We're looking at 3/4 filling a 40 ft container (will be filling the rest of it with bedlinen, towels and various other things which are weirdly expensive in Canada ).

Freestones (Brackley) Subsidiary of Britannia - £7139
Robinsons - £8000(ish)

So once we picked ourselves off the floor, we realised that thing no.1 is we *do not* mention company relocation at all. Thing no.2 is eek, that is way more than we expected.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:28 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by skara
..... we're not getting an expat style relocation package!)........
Neither are we!
Does anybody get those expenses paid, except inter-company transfers?
But is that so bad a quote? A 20ft container is about 1170 cubic feet. A 40 ft is bout 2390 cubic feet and since they charge by capacity, a 40ft should be about double the cost of a 20ft and so it sounds about right.
I got £4.5 grand for 20ft and you are getting £7-8K for twice as much capacity.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Arrow More quotes.....

Initial quote in from Fox at £4,080.
Spoke to GB Liners again today and the 'best' they can do is £4,300 + ins (down from their original quote of £4,595). PSS' initial quote came through last night via email at £3,987.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:56 pm
T4T
Forum Regular

T4T will become famous soon enoughT4T will become famous soon enough

We're in Milton Keynes and are going to Oakville and like you we're not getting "an expat style relocation package".

We've had quotes from PSS (£3999 based online survey), Anglo Pacific (£4255), Pickfords (£4755), GB Liner (£4975) for a 20ft container (approx 1100 cubic feet).

It's quite hard to decide on which company to go for as they all seem to talk the talk.

Searching for reviews for the companies to help make an informed decision.

(
Originally Posted by skara
We've just had three quotes for moving our stuff this summer from near Milton Keynes to Calgary. I'm wondering if we made a mistake telling the company that we're going on a job transfer (which we are, but we're on a tight budget because we've pushed for this, and we're not getting an expat style relocation package!).

We're looking at 3/4 filling a 40 ft container (will be filling the rest of it with bedlinen, towels and various other things which are weirdly expensive in Canada ).

Freestones (Brackley) Subsidiary of Britannia - £7139
Robinsons - £8000(ish)

So once we picked ourselves off the floor, we realised that thing no.1 is we *do not* mention company relocation at all. Thing no.2 is eek, that is way more than we expected.
Old May 13th 2011, 2:10 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by T4T
We're in Milton Keynes and are going to Oakville and like you we're not getting "an expat style relocation package".

We've had quotes from PSS (£3999 based online survey), Anglo Pacific (£4255), Pickfords (£4755), GB Liner (£4975) for a 20ft container (approx 1100 cubic feet).

It's quite hard to decide on which company to go for as they all seem to talk the talk.

Searching for reviews for the companies to help make an informed decision.

(
What you need to consider is the quality of the packing materials used when packing, after all if you deem it valuable enough to ship then you want it to ship safely. You need to ask them which agent they will use in Canada, also a very important consideration. I would be interested to see who they send your shipment to.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.