Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Shipping company?

Best Shipping company?

Old May 5th 2011, 10:13 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by oceaneoneill
Ah - thanks for that! The "parking" charge is when they need to suspend a parking bay with the local council or get a permit etc - usually happens if you live near main road / city centre etc...
Oh, that explains that then - we live in the sticks!
I actually live down a very narrow drive past another house and there is no room for a container lorry either to come down the drive or to park on the road in my small village, so I have put all my big furniture into storage already and they can collect it much easier from there.
I'll post again when the others get back to us.
I suppose ours should be a lot more because we are going a long way across Canada compared to Toronto folks, although I am not sure how the money stacks up based on ship transit and cross-country transit mile for mile.
Old May 6th 2011, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Scotia Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GandH
We were looking at shipping companies as well and our research on here seemed to suggest PSS as the best choice, but ultimately it will depend how much stuff you have etc.

We are going to get quotes from 4 or 5 and see what turns up. There seem to be a few to avoid, one of which has been mentioned above.
We used PSS not bad... but remember you can haggle
Old May 6th 2011, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Scotia Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kirkio
EVL were the cheapest and best for me, they used Atlantic & Pacific shipping
$8000inc tax for a full door to door service pack dismantle etc and un pack 2-weeks shipping...excellent
Isn't it EVL who have gone bust????
Old May 6th 2011, 1:45 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotia Girl
Isn't it EVL who have gone bust????
yes, they have.
Old May 9th 2011, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up GB Liners quote

The GB Liners chap has been this morning pricing up for our move from Bristol to Angus, Ontario. He's going to quote us on a 20' container, although I think we have less than 800 cft. Will let you know what they come back with.
Old May 9th 2011, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of
Default Re: GB Liners quote

Originally Posted by joepublic
The GB Liners chap has been this morning pricing up for our move from Bristol to Angus, Ontario. He's going to quote us on a 20' container, although I think we have less than 800 cft. Will let you know what they come back with.
Bear in mind the quote is not final. You can negotiate the price and insurance.

They initially quoted £1,130 for the UK end + £3,530 from London to Halifax (£4660 in total for 20' solo container), plus 3.5% insurance.

We told them we got a much better quote. Then they came down £3660 in total + 2.75% insurance.

It is still not as good as the Fox International, £2770 in total + 2.6% insurance. So we chose Fox.
Old May 9th 2011, 12:08 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by davidsk

They initially quoted £1,130 for the UK end + £3,530 from London to Halifax (£4660 in total for 20' solo container), plus 3.5% insurance.

We told them we got a much better quote. Then they came down £3660 in total + 2.75% insurance.

It is still not as good as the Fox International, £2770 in total + 2.6% insurance. So we chose Fox.
I'm getting Fox to quote for a 20ft container today and also 1st Move and GB Liners. This is all to Abbotsford, Vancouver B.C. I'll also post the responses.
Movecorp quoted £4700 and when I said it was higher than other quotes they moved but only to £4544, so I will probably put them out of the running.Their excuse was that fuel as gone up since March.
That looks really good from Fox for you, davidsk.
Old May 9th 2011, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by helcat12
That looks really good from Fox for you, davidsk.
We also got a quote £3300 + 2.5% insurance from Excess Baggage.

GB Liner quoted on 650 cuft, Excess Baggage quoted on 585 cuft, but Fox quoted on 495 cuft.

Last edited by davidsk; May 9th 2011 at 12:42 pm.
Old May 9th 2011, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

One thing maybe useful to do is to pack your spare duvets, pillows and winter bulky clothes by using some vacumm bags. So when they come to survey, they will get less volume, which will be more accurate to the final volume.

Even using a solo container (most space will probably be empty), the actual volume usage will affect the price as I was told.
Old May 9th 2011, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

sinbad23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Best Shipping company?

Hello

I am going to be flying over to Canada in about a month or on IEC. At present I am only going to be taking the following items:

Playstation 3 + games (1x box doubles up as my blu ray, media centre thingy...this might be sold due to voltage)
Clothes (I have got about 8-10 boxes worth of clothes)
Shoes (20 paris- spead over 4 boxes)
Random documents (1x box)

The rest of the stuff I need I will buy once I am there. I am going to staying at a friends place (Mississagua) in the first couple of weeks, just while I find my own place to live.

I want to get this stuff shipped over, I have no idea about how to get it over to Toronto. Would you recommend shipping it? If so what size container will I need? Or how to this stuff over to Toronto, costs and timeframes.

Your help is much appreciated
Old May 9th 2011, 1:48 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by sinbad23
Hello

I am going to be flying over to Canada in about a month or on IEC. At present I am only going to be taking the following items:

Playstation 3 + games (1x box doubles up as my blu ray, media centre thingy...this might be sold due to voltage)
Clothes (I have got about 8-10 boxes worth of clothes)
Shoes (20 paris- spead over 4 boxes)
Random documents (1x box)

The rest of the stuff I need I will buy once I am there. I am going to staying at a friends place (Mississagua) in the first couple of weeks, just while I find my own place to live.

I want to get this stuff shipped over, I have no idea about how to get it over to Toronto. Would you recommend shipping it? If so what size container will I need? Or how to this stuff over to Toronto, costs and timeframes.

Your help is much appreciated
With so little the airfreight option might be best. Also, it will take a lot less time to get there. Sea freight via sole container takes 6 to 10 weeks or thereabouts and it is usually longer if you do it by groupage because they have to find other people with enough to fill a container. I assume you will want your shoes and clothes fairly fast so air is the better option. You an ask your air carrier if they do it, other wise I know Air Canada do it and Air Transat.
Old May 9th 2011, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

sinbad23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I will check them out
Old May 9th 2011, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

oceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really nice

Ah would London to Halifax be cheaper than London , Vancouver I wonder..?

Originally Posted by davidsk

Old May 9th 2011, 7:34 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by oceaneoneill
Ah would London to Halifax be cheaper than London , Vancouver I wonder..?
I would certainly have thought so, as it is way across the whole of Canada to the Pacific coast to Vancouver, whereas it is just a hop across the pond to the East coast and Halifax. I am not comparing my quotes to those from others going to different areas of Canada.
But even so, my quotes thus far vary by just short of £1200, which is a huge difference and they are all quoting to go to the same postcode with the same stuff.
The guy from GB Liners was really lovely on the telephone and their assessor is coming out to me on Friday, plus there are at least two others I am still waiting for, so I've a little while before they are all ready to compare. I'll post them when I have them.
Old May 10th 2011, 1:05 pm
Island life at last

I have just had a quote from a company called 1st Move International who do what I suppose is "no frills" service to get a container or smaller quantity of goods to Canada and the price is fantastic!
The payment doesn't include some charges at the other end, though and I wonder of this might be the sting in the tail?
"Your Charges Include:
UK container transport from load point to port of departure, UK terminal handling, export documentation and administration charges, freight charges to destination.
Your Charges Exclude:
Destination costs such as terminal / port handling, customs / quarantine inspection, treatment and clearance charges, duty or tax, administration fees, storage, delivery to residence.
"
So it is basically they just put the stuff on Canadian soil and push off!
Other companies have quoted inclusive of these things;

• Standard Customs Clearance.

• Delivery to residence as mentioned above, assuming good access.

• Unpacking and removal of debris.

• Unpacking of items including glass and china to a work surface only.

So, my question is does this basic service sound like a good deal, bearing in mind it is £2000 cheaper than all the other quotes I have had? Has anyone used them before?
The price is very tempting but I am wondering if the other charges might be unpredictable and that is why it seems so cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.