Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Province/City/Town for cycling.

Best Province/City/Town for cycling.

Old May 1st 2009, 12:33 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Province/City/Town for cycling.

OH commutes by cycling most days. From where we live, it's around 40 minutes to DT on the bike. He goes along the Canada trail, with a view of the mountains, forest, Burrard Inlet, etc. It's faster than traffic some days, which is kinda sad....

Commuting by cycle is totally doable in Van, but you have to pick your areas. We live in north burnaby.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; May 1st 2009 at 12:36 am.
Old May 1st 2009, 4:35 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You obviously live south of downtown.

To any cyclists out there here's an interesting little use of Google maps.

http://toporoute.com/

Click on Bike Ride Planner to see the map.

Zoom in on a city, left click on a location, move to a destination left click again and it will plot a route via roads. Then go to "action" (upper left0 and choose "Plot Elevation" you get a new screen with a plot of the elevation changes along the plotted route.
Nice site!

Just for fun, I entered the Hurricane Ridge ride that my wife and I did on the tandem 10 years ago. It's a ferry ride from Victoria, and a steep climb into the Olympic Mountains. The route is here and if you select 'plot elevation' from the Action.. menu you'll see why it took us 4 and a half hours to get up and 36 minutes to get down!
Old May 1st 2009, 11:11 am
Just Joined

2Tubs is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to clarify on a few points raised.

I don't really need trails for commuting. In the UK I avoid all road side cycle facilites at all costs as they tend to be more dangerous (and certainly more convenient) than using the roads.

So I'll be using the roads.

Rain doesn't bother me. Snow and Ice take me off the road and to an extent, high winds do too. But all other weathers and I'm on the bike.

Weekend trails in the hills would be a "nice to have" but it's the road cycling that's most important.

We're looking at the East Coast, so NB, NL, NS and as I've said, I'm quite interested in PEI. But I threw the question to anywhere because, y'know, never say never . . .

>;o)

Cheers for the replies so far.

Gazza
Old May 1st 2009, 12:30 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 2Tubs
Just to clarify on a few points raised.

I don't really need trails for commuting. In the UK I avoid all road side cycle facilites at all costs as they tend to be more dangerous (and certainly more convenient) than using the roads.

So I'll be using the roads.

Rain doesn't bother me. Snow and Ice take me off the road and to an extent, high winds do too. But all other weathers and I'm on the bike.

Weekend trails in the hills would be a "nice to have" but it's the road cycling that's most important.

We're looking at the East Coast, so NB, NL, NS and as I've said, I'm quite interested in PEI. But I threw the question to anywhere because, y'know, never say never . . .

>;o)

Cheers for the replies so far.

Gazza
Lots of road cycling goes on here. You're out of Ottawa and into the countryside very quickly. You can pretty much forget it from November to March, though. You don't even see people on motorbikes during that period.