Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The best prepaid card to use in Canada?

The best prepaid card to use in Canada?

Old Jul 6th 2016, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Stevemrcourtney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The best prepaid card to use in Canada?

Hi

I'm initially going to Canada from UK for 6 months, but will be applying for spousal visa and sponsorship once my partner and I get married next year. I've searched the forums and wiki for an answer but I can't see what I am looking for.

I want to be financially independent while I am there, so I'm looking at using a prepaid card, I've seen a lot advertised, many with mixed reviews. I'm looking for any recommendations any might have.

Using my bank card is not an option as their rates are high and now Brexit has ruined the pound, I know rates have changed. But it's the acceptance of these prepaid cards at ATMs and shops etc that I am worried about. I'm also looking at Credit cards as well where I can pay the balance off each month.

But any advice and what to look out for would be greatly appreciated. Even if wiring the money to his account would be cheaper, then I will consider that option too.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 30th 2016, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

MegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best prepaid card to use in Canada?

Depends where you're going, when we went to Vancouver nearly all the cash points were Mastercard, we went to Calgary and thought I was prepared and bought a pre-paid MasterCard only to have problems as everything was Visa lol! Not sure if it's the same now but we got to Toronto Airport and there wasn't a cash point.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

You would be better off using a UK debit card in the cash points of their associate bank in Canada, if you are spending UK-sourced money, or getting a low forex fee UK credit card.

For example if you have a Barclays account, you use Scotiabank ATMs. Using UK cards in shops isn't 'expensive'.

As for the pound, 'ruined' is a bit of a strong term. Apart from the recent peak in the past year or do, it hasn't been as high as it is now since about 2009.

Last edited by withabix; Jul 30th 2016 at 5:40 am.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

graeme.baker is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don't you open a Canadian bank account, and then use TransferWise or similar to move money into the account, and then use your Canadian debit card as normal?

Most big banks allow you to have an account (with no overdraft) as a temporary resident. Mines with CIBC, but I know ScotiaBank do it too.

Some banks will also give you a Canadian credit card, that you put money on first, and then you can spend that in the manner you're describing above.