Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The best posts EVER...

The best posts EVER...

Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best posts EVER...

Originally Posted by clynnog
Back in 1989- 1992, despite the number of indian people in Brampton, it didn't seem to have a lot of indian restaurants (this may have changed now).
Lots now, we go there quite often to try different ones. Being suburbia though it doesn't have the appeal, at least to me, of Little India where they're right next door to one another and you can stroll along and choose whichever one looks good today. In Brampton it's a matter of looking them up on the interwebby and driving between strip malls.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:43 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Any chance you can send me a cutting from that thing? Also, may I borrow your wardrobe?
It's a real beast isn't it ? I was expecting to see Christmas decs hanging from it.

And, what, casual jeans and a redneck vest top ? What the heck for ? That's everyday attire round these parts. I haven't seen a kaftan since I left the Midlands in 2005. I do see rasta hats tho. Should I get you one ?

R.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
It's a real beast isn't it ? I was expecting to see Christmas decs hanging from it.

And, what, casual jeans and a redneck vest top ? What the heck for ? That's everyday attire round these parts. I haven't seen a kaftan since I left the Midlands in 2005. I do see rasta hats tho. Should I get you one ?

R.
I was thinking along the lines of ...Narnia...
Old Jun 17th 2008, 4:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

So, Steve, are you homesick?
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
So, Steve, are you homesick?
Nope, not at all.

Not sure if where I am now (Sleepy Hollow) is where I will finally poke the earth to find satan, but going 'home' to England is no longer an option I care to think about. I would rather live in Kingston than go back there.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

buggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If I had the choice to emigrate again, I would walk barefooted over broken glass to do it. But I'm not British. I come from Swaziland, which has the lowest life expectancy in the world and an absolute monarch who has a private jet, a fleet of luxury cars and a reported fortune of $10 billion socked away in a Saudi Arabian bank in his own name.

I've only been to the UK and Continental Europe as a tourist, so it's really hard for me to judge what I would do if I were British. It's so common for people to want what they don't have.

I was in Italy in April 2008. During one of my day tours, I was on a bus with other people from "new" countries (the USA, Australia, etc.) as well as people from other European countries (Sweden, Spain, Greece, etc.). Every single one of us from the new countries was drooling over the old buildings, the art, etc. Every single one of the Europeans said I was so lucky to live near the Rocky Mountains.

I've only ever lived in "new" countries (or at least new from the point of view of European settlement). I've lived in Swaziland, South Africa, Canada, the USA and Australia. I would love the opportunity to live in a place that had old buildings, gorgeous churches, great museums. I also would love to live in a place that was very close to other places that were really different.

During that same trip to Italy, I met an American couple who had been transferred to London. That weekend they were in Rome, and the previous weekend they'd been in Paris. They told me they were lapping up the cheap flights and the proximity that enabled them to see more of Europe during their expat assignment in London than they otherwise would have been able to see in a lifetime. And, on top of that, they loved doing touristy things in London itself.

So, you're contemplating giving all that up for the scenery in Canada which, I grant you, is stunning. But will the scenery always float your boat, or will its draw on you fizzle out? That is something that is very difficult to know in advance.

The photos in your profile and in your signature suggest that you're an outdoorsy person, so perhaps the outdoor pursuits that are available in Canada really will hold you.

But even then, you may be surprised that Canada lacks some of the outdoor freedom that you have in the UK. Are you aware that Canada does not have the system of rights-of-way through farmers' fields that you have in the UK?

And then there's the matter of family. Some people feel okay living far away from their families, and some people do not. Again, it's sometimes difficult to assess what your family means to you until you don't have them nearby.

The fact that my Canadian-born kids do not feel at all close to our family is a source of sadness to me. But I think it affects me more than it affects them. I'm guessing that, if you were to ask them about it, they'd shrug and say it's no big deal. Not having grown up with an extended family around them, they probably don't know what they're missing.

Novocastrian is an example of someone who misses the old buildings of Europe. His job is holding him in Canada for now, but he wants to retire in France.

In the three decades that we've been expats, a large proportion of our vacation (holiday) time has been spent showing visiting rellies and friends our part of Canada and also travelling overseas to visit them. This has really made a big dent into the time and money we would have had to visit other places that have been on our wish list and that we have never seen, e.g., Atlantic Canada. Keep in mind that Canadians generally get less annual leave than British people do. So, after a while, sacrificing that annual leave for other people becomes more and more vexing. It's a good thing I like Moraine Lake as much as I do, because I've lost count of the number of visitors I've taken to it.

But, with that having been said, one can find creative solutions. For example, this past winter, iaink, his wife and kids went on a Caribbean cruise with his brother and his family from the UK. That sounds like a win-win idea to me.

So, at the end of the day, will Canada make up for what you will have sacrificed by leaving the UK? I honestly don't know.
x
Great post judy
Look me up when you get to Victoria and we can go for coffee and have deep and meaningful conversation......or just sit and shoot the s..t as they say here.
See you at the inner harbour!
Buggalugs
Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

maggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of light

Nope, not at all.

Not sure if where I am now (Sleepy Hollow) is where I will finally poke the earth to find satan, but going 'home' to England is no longer an option I care to think about. I would rather live in Kingston than go back there.
just checking....which Kingston?!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by maggie and chris
The Kingston of the songs, innit?

http://www.wtv-zone.com/phyrst/audio/nfld/02/girl.htm
Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, I'm in Ontario, the one I'm talking about ain't in Jamaica, nor is it near London...or anywhere else outside of Ontario.

I was waiting for someone to pick that up...
Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

maggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of light

shite...come to think of it there's not that much wrong with Staffordshire, and there are worse jobs than the Prison Service I'm sure....
Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

shite...come to think of it there's not that much wrong with Staffordshire, and there are worse jobs than the Prison Service I'm sure....
If you're in the prison service and that's I guess why you're going.
Then so be it.

I wouldn't live there, you haven't got any kids have you????
Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

[feeling like she really doesn't want the answer!]...yes, a daughter...ummm why?
Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm in Ontario, the one I'm talking about ain't in Jamaica, nor is it near London...or anywhere else outside of Ontario.

I was waiting for someone to pick that up...
So are you going to come to Toronto? Is your son still searching for the Canadian music scene?
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

[feeling like she really doesn't want the answer!]...yes, a daughter...ummm why?
Don't let steve mess with you. Kingston (Ontario) is alright if you have a job set up. Loadsa prisons, so I guess you have.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Don't let steve mess with you. Kingston (Ontario) is alright if you have a job set up. Loadsa prisons, so I guess you have.
I have been told bt many people that Kingston is a great city. Cobble stones, lake, history, culture and stuff to do. Sounds good, maybe I should move there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.