Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

best places to settle?

best places to settle?

Old Jul 7th 2007, 12:52 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best places to settle?

Originally Posted by Southcote
Thanks - we were impressed by what we saw, the facilities seemed pretty good. Our daughter came away from the school talking about it,which was a bonus.

How have you found the job market over there ?
Personally I've found it okay but it seems there are many who would disagree. Guess it depends what industry you're in (IT industry is fairly boyant but I'm not sure about everything else). What sort of thing are you looking for?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Personally I've found it okay but it seems there are many who would disagree. Guess it depends what industry you're in (IT industry is fairly boyant but I'm not sure about everything else). What sort of thing are you looking for?
I'm in Cororate Banking / Finance. I was pretty much offered a job when I came over in May. It wasn't a great job, but I'm realistic enough to know that you need to take steps backwards and get yor foot in the door before you can hope to get something at a similar level
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:30 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southcote
I'm in Cororate Banking / Finance. I was pretty much offered a job when I came over in May. It wasn't a great job, but I'm realistic enough to know that you need to take steps backwards and get yor foot in the door before you can hope to get something at a similar level
I would be cautious about taking too much of a step backwards though. Lots of people seem to be moving here looking for a more relaxed pace of life and don't necessarily want the same level of pressure/responsibility as their UK job but forget there is a certain loss of status that goes with taking a couple of steps back too. Its hard to go back to being treated like a more junior employee that you are used to. I'm talking partly from experience here. Plus, even if you plan to switch jobs, there is that saying that "you are only as good as your last job" so other employers might ignore your amazing UK experience and base their perceptions of you on what your most recent position in Canada was. My advice: try to get the job you really want to begin with.