British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Best place to ski with young kids near Calgary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/best-place-ski-young-kids-near-calgary-872473/)

Danyaz Feb 14th 2016 9:28 pm

Best place to ski with young kids near Calgary

Hi guys,

We plan to land around 20th March but return back to the UK a week or so later. Ideally to make a trip of it, I would like to take our kids (5 and 7) skiing somewhere close to Calgary. They have taken to the slopes before but are still very early beginners so I'm not looking for anywhere busy, the quieter the better.

I have been to Marmot Basin many years ago but can't remenber much about it, somewhere a little closer to Calgary would be better but not the end of the world if not.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks

D

beckiwoo Feb 15th 2016 12:17 am

Re: Best place to ski with young kids near Calgary

Sunshine Village or Norquey in Banff. Sunshine is bigger so maybe Norquey. Go during the week if you can as it will be less busy. Sunshine was dead when I went on a Monday

Tinpusher63 Feb 15th 2016 1:12 am

Looking for fairly beginner type skiing try Canada Olympic Park on the west edge of the city.

Mountains? How about Nakiska in Kananaskis, then you can say you've skied the mountain from the 1988 Olympics downhill. ;)

gryphea Feb 15th 2016 1:57 pm

For beginnery people I think Norquay is not the best. I would consider Nakiska or Sunshine. Both have decent magic carpet areas and then nice progression runs off chairs

Almost Canadian Feb 15th 2016 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by gryphea (Post 11868218)
For beginnery people I think Norquay is not the best. I would consider Nakiska or Sunshine. Both have decent magic carpet areas and then nice progression runs off chairs

I agree with this.

While COP is, obviously, the closest, the change of difficulty between the magic carpet areas and the main hill may be too large for beginners. Nakiska, in particular, has great transitions for all levels of ability.

Photoplex Feb 16th 2016 1:43 am

Norquay is a terrible idea, and Sunshine is really expensive for beginners.

Nakiska is your best bet - closest to the city and up in the mountains so it's picturesque, and it's actually marketed at beginner/intermediates.

beckiwoo Feb 16th 2016 6:20 am

Why doesn't the OP just look at the slopes and runs online and make a decision that way.

neill Feb 16th 2016 8:19 pm

Sunshine has nice small, fairly short unintimidating bowls under the Strawberry lift that run out to the mid base. Something for everyone in that area, great for skiing with families with various abilities in the same party.

Stinkypup Feb 16th 2016 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by neill (Post 11869589)
Sunshine has nice small, fairly short unintimidating bowls under the Strawberry lift that run out to the mid base. Something for everyone in that area, great for skiing with families with various abilities in the same party.

That seems nicely appropriate :cool: