Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best place to settle - late 20's married couple, no kids!

Best place to settle - late 20's married couple, no kids!

Old May 26th 2009, 2:27 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to settle - late 20's married couple, no kids!

Was so looking forward to visiting Montreal a few years back when we drove from TO to Halifax, hugely disappointed because I found the people so rude and arrogant if you didn't speak French. So out plannd 3 days in Montreal lasted 2 hours.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:28 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by criodain
Howdee, not to drag the thread off topic, but do you know if many in the aerospace industry would hire someone on an under 35 1 year working visa? (technical writing/documentation for example)
I've been looking in France this year for a job, but so far no luck, and I would like to live in a French speaking environment. (My French would be fairly good..).
If I'm not successful in France this year, I would consider Quebec, but I am worried that it might be a similar story to Australia (not getting a "real job" on a working holiday visa)...
I must plead ignorance about the details of the job market here - sorry. I just turned 30 and landed my 2 year contract through industry channels via the UK/US. I have seen some recent demand for employment in my company – usually in electrical and specs development. In my experience there is no need to speak French in the aerospace industry. You would have many positive opportunities to learn and speak French in Montreal, n’est-ce pas?
Old May 26th 2009, 3:55 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Was so looking forward to visiting Montreal a few years back when we drove from TO to Halifax, hugely disappointed because I found the people so rude and arrogant if you didn't speak French. So out plannd 3 days in Montreal lasted 2 hours.
Ah, we're back to the A-word again. You go to to one of the world's largest francophone cities and get miffed because people speak French?

Montreal is a very bilingual city. Most of the people you likely encountered would have spoken English, if approached properly. A few stumbling attempts, followed by an apology for your lousy French is all it takes.

You can say what you like about Montrealers and about Quebeckers in general but arrogant and rude are not accurate descriptions of the vast majority of people here.
Old May 26th 2009, 4:20 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kancell
excellent post! we are considering ottawa primarily but will be visiting montreal for 3 nights whilst we are there in the Summer.

i am a mechanical and electrical building services engineer, although i'm sure i could turn my hand to various forms of engineering. i know engineers are in great demand in Quebec and having looked at the immigration website, i understand a permanent visa would be relatively easy to obtain without even a job offer! how would you say the engineering and construction industries are in Montreal just now? do you enjoy life in general in montreal?

like everybody else, my only worry was the language barrier, although this is definitely not insurmountable as my girlfriend and I would love to increase our french abilities.
Unfortunately I’m not in the mechanical and electrical building services engineer sector. I must plead complete ignorance of knowledge regarding job opportunities in Montreal, as well as the permanent visa requirements question you posed – there are others posters who attend the forum better informed than I in these matters - sorry.

I am really loving the city of Montreal – it is a laid-back and easy-going culture the Quebecois have established. There is a great emphasis upon holidays and the week-end life here – not suggesting a lack of work ethic or professionalism. The nature of my work has allowed me much “off-time” to really live it up and appreciate what Montreal (and North America) have to offer. I cannot express how the beauty and vastness of the Canadian and American wilderness has impressed upon me.

As I mentioned in the previous posting, there isn’t a language concern in Montreal, and in my opinion it is a conceit imposed by non-Francophones. I have met and befriended many contented English and French Canadians who share my interests – I loath the day I have to leave and say farewell.
Old May 26th 2009, 4:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Souvenir
You can say what you like about Montrealers and about Quebeckers in general but arrogant and rude are not accurate descriptions of the vast majority of people here.
I agree with you without exception Souvenir; when I first arrived in Canada I had to overcome a number of pre-conceived British notions and prejudices about French Canadians. Dismissively, I do put my hangups down to my own ethnocentricity and some unwarrented coaching by my [then] new co-workers who held very negative views about French Canadians. I realised that it was entirely my attitude and arrogance that impeded my relationship with Montreal's French speakers. (I know this following remark will raise some hackles). I have noted a dire animosity towards the French and the province of Quebec - mostly directed from the English Canadian media. This cultural animostiy is, for some sociological reason, unfortunately very contageous with many immigrants.
Old May 26th 2009, 5:31 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Ah, we're back to the A-word again. You go to to one of the world's largest francophone cities and get miffed because people speak French?

Montreal is a very bilingual city. Most of the people you likely encountered would have spoken English, if approached properly. A few stumbling attempts, followed by an apology for your lousy French is all it takes.

I speak a smattering of french, love France and would loved to have moved to Brittany but the language barrier put me off.

I can only comment on my experience of Montreal and it was not pleasant, despite explaining to the individuals concerned, in french, that I could not understand them they insisted on speaking to me in French until I started to walk out without paying, which was when they spoke to me in perfect english.
Old May 26th 2009, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Ok thanks everyone - phew heated in here!!

So any other suggestions for us DINKies? Think Quebec would be worth a ponder...

Cheers
Old May 26th 2009, 6:20 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
Ok thanks everyone - phew heated in here!!

So any other suggestions for us DINKies? Think Quebec would be worth a ponder...

Cheers
It's always heated in here. Try slagging off Vancouver and see what happens.

There is no greater zealot than a convert.
Old May 26th 2009, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

ANyone have any knowledge of the IT and finance job market in the maratime provinces at all?
Old May 26th 2009, 11:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

ANyone have any knowledge of the IT and finance job market in the maratime provinces at all?
There are people on this board who make a living from computers down east but the rich market is Toronto. All the banks have their headquarters in Toronto.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immichaelcaine
Have you considered the province of Quebec? I'm currently working between Montreal, QC and Falls Church, VA (USA). I managed my employment here as an internal transfer and fixed two year contractual exchange opportunity; I was happily surprised in what I found in this charming city of 1.6 million. Montreal is the hidden gem of Canada – very much underestimated, and has a rightly unique "Canadian" feel to it (BTW - I've spent a few holiday weeks in Vancouver, Toronto and Halifax). The city is old by North-American standards (c. 1650) – and is quaintly reminiscent of old Boston.

The French Canadian culture in Montreal is unlike any other culture I have experienced - a little awkward at first, but once you get past some minor cultural nuances, the people are the most hospitable I have come across in Canada (and the US, as a matter). Do not make the mistake of confusing them with their European cousins – they are really oil and water. The French Canadians in Montreal have an incredible sense of humour, as compared to the typically "Canservative" humour I have seen among the Torontonians and Vancouverites. I did have some initial problems with French-Canadian working-class attitudes in Montreal, but eventually found their comments to be more tongue-in-cheek than personal insult or “Anglophobias”. I think many English Canadians misunderstand French Quebecers – to their unfortunate loss.

As a young couple, I would recommend highly your taking a gander at Montreal – or even Quebec City; both cities contain so many museums, cultural icons, excellent restaurants, an amazingly decadent nightlife, super facilities for sports and activities, easy access to a pristine outdoors, etc. As for work opportunities, many IT jobs are English only – especially software development, and in the aerospace industry (with which I have intimate knowledge). Contrary to popular belief, French is not a requirement in Montreal – my entire workplace is officially “bilingual”, but in reality it is 100% English. However, I’m not in tune with the effect of the economic downturn at present, but it appears to be of a lesser effect here than in the UK.

If you are daring enough to make the jump over, why not immerse yourself into a truly rewarding culture and challenge? Good luck in your decision.
I am potentially moving to Montreal on an IntraCompany Transfer, subject to HRDC approval and all the other technicalities.

I visited for the first time in March to deliver some training to my French-Canadian colleagues, and I was in awe at their enthusiasm and desire to learn more about me. Montrealers are truly amazing people and although it's only been 2 months since I was there I'm really actively chasing this thing through.

I also have family in Toronto, whom I visited years ago, and as much as it's an interesting city, my opinion (and Montrealers have this opinion too) is that it's just an extension of the USA. Montreal has culture like you wouldn't believe! I'm over at the end of next month, can't wait to see Stevie Wonder open the Jazz Fest!
Old May 27th 2009, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,
Not sure about the finance market but I work in IT here in Fredericton and there are quite a few IT companies around here. It was actually announced just yesterday I think that a local company would be creating 200 more jobs here. Careerbeacon is a good site to look at for jobs in the maritimes though.

We love living in Fredericton, I think it's a great place to bring up kids but I also know loads of young couples living here too so it can't be all that bad .

Sinead
Old May 27th 2009, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

NomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really nice

Hey Flying Scottie!

We're not there yet but we are in the same position (the DINK one) and are looking to head to Vancouver next year. There are IT jobs in Victoria (Vancouver Island) and that has another completly different feel to it. I think we're content to get an apartment in Vancouver though and see how that goes.
Old May 27th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

islandboy will become famous soon enough

Look at Victoria B.C. it has a growing I.T.industry it also has the best weather in all of Canada.
Old May 27th 2009, 3:29 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandboy
Look at Victoria B.C. it has a growing I.T.industry it also has the best weather in all of Canada.
TOTALLY subjective and YOUR opinion. As far as I'm concerned the weather ANYWHERE in Alberta is preferable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.