Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best place to settle - late 20's married couple, no kids!

Wikiposts

Best place to settle - late 20's married couple, no kids!

Old May 25th 2009, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice
Question Best place to settle - late 20's married couple, no kids!

Hi all,

We are in the process for PR in Canada, and should (all being well) be moving in late 2010, early 2011....

We will be just 30 and married with no kids. Previously we have lived in Toronto (downtown and The Beaches).. and have friends who live in Oshawa and are pretty happy there.

However we have never been anywhere else in Canada and don;t want to limit ourselves to sticking to what we know.

We both have jobs that would generally be more plentiful in and around larger cities...Husband in IT, and me in Client Management for a financial services organisation, so we would have to take that in to consideration too.

With the current 'global economic crisis' we have been told that Alberta has been hit pretty hard, and to perhaps avoid there..... we were looking at Okotoks for a while there!

I appreciate it is a bit vague, but any thoughts of where people know of and we can go off and do our research that would be lovely!

Thanks peeps.

FS
Old May 25th 2009, 8:48 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to settle - late 20's married couple, no kids!

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
We both have jobs that would generally be more plentiful in and around larger cities...Husband in IT, and me in Client Management for a financial services organisation, so we would have to take that in to consideration too.
Based on your jobs your best bets would be TO or Vancouver, but they are very different cities.............ultimately the decision is totally up to you.
Old May 25th 2009, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

We are in the process for PR in Canada, and should (all being well) be moving in late 2010, early 2011....

We will be just 30 and married with no kids. Previously we have lived in Toronto (downtown and The Beaches).. and have friends who live in Oshawa and are pretty happy there.

However we have never been anywhere else in Canada and don;t want to limit ourselves to sticking to what we know.

With the current 'global economic crisis' we have been told that Alberta has been hit pretty hard, and to perhaps avoid there..... we were looking at Okotoks for a while there!

I appreciate it is a bit vague, but any thoughts of where people know of and we can go off and do our research that would be lovely!

Thanks peeps.

FS
Whether the economy has been hit depends upon which part of the economy you are dependent upon. Small oil and gas companies are laying off staff, as are construction companies, etc. None of them would seem to affect you. Insolvency businesses appear to be doing a roaring trade at the moment.

I don't know of anyone in Calgary at the moment that is particularly concerned about work. Don't totally dismiss Alberta at the moment.
Old May 25th 2009, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Thanks guys - I guess Toronto and Vancouver just seem a litle 'obvious'... wondered what people do for work elsewhere...?

Any thoughts on London, Ontario?

Thanks for support of Alberta, know if there is much IT work there?
Old May 25th 2009, 9:02 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for support of Alberta, know if there is much IT work there?
I work in recruitment in Calgary and its not been that bad, in fact 2 or 3 big projects have just been given the go ahead so things are moving in the right direction in the Oil & Gas industry. There isn't a major IT industry here but there are plenty of IT needs so there is work.
Old May 25th 2009, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brownstar
I work in recruitment in Calgary and its not been that bad, in fact 2 or 3 big projects have just been given the go ahead so things are moving in the right direction in the Oil & Gas industry. There isn't a major IT industry here but there are plenty of IT needs so there is work.
Thats interesting, thanks Brownstar.

Are house prices going down at the moment too? Maybe Alberta is back on the map!
Old May 25th 2009, 9:10 am
Banned

Thats interesting, thanks Brownstar.

Are house prices going down at the moment too? Maybe Alberta is back on the map!
Still on the way down I believe and still cheaper than Vancouver
Old May 25th 2009, 2:37 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

Have you considered the province of Quebec? I'm currently working between Montreal, QC and Falls Church, VA (USA). I managed my employment here as an internal transfer and fixed two year contractual exchange opportunity; I was happily surprised in what I found in this charming city of 1.6 million. Montreal is the hidden gem of Canada – very much underestimated, and has a rightly unique "Canadian" feel to it (BTW - I've spent a few holiday weeks in Vancouver, Toronto and Halifax). The city is old by North-American standards (c. 1650) – and is quaintly reminiscent of old Boston.

The French Canadian culture in Montreal is unlike any other culture I have experienced - a little awkward at first, but once you get past some minor cultural nuances, the people are the most hospitable I have come across in Canada (and the US, as a matter). Do not make the mistake of confusing them with their European cousins – they are really oil and water. The French Canadians in Montreal have an incredible sense of humour, as compared to the typically "Canservative" humour I have seen among the Torontonians and Vancouverites. I did have some initial problems with French-Canadian working-class attitudes in Montreal, but eventually found their comments to be more tongue-in-cheek than personal insult or “Anglophobias”. I think many English Canadians misunderstand French Quebecers – to their unfortunate loss.

As a young couple, I would recommend highly your taking a gander at Montreal – or even Quebec City; both cities contain so many museums, cultural icons, excellent restaurants, an amazingly decadent nightlife, super facilities for sports and activities, easy access to a pristine outdoors, etc. As for work opportunities, many IT jobs are English only – especially software development, and in the aerospace industry (with which I have intimate knowledge). Contrary to popular belief, French is not a requirement in Montreal – my entire workplace is officially “bilingual”, but in reality it is 100% English. However, I’m not in tune with the effect of the economic downturn at present, but it appears to be of a lesser effect here than in the UK.

If you are daring enough to make the jump over, why not immerse yourself into a truly rewarding culture and challenge? Good luck in your decision.
Old May 25th 2009, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

You have a second career there I think for the Quebec Government in selling Montreal.
Old May 25th 2009, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

michaelcane: I'd move to Montreal in a heart beat however, I was told (a number of times) without fluent French I may as well be a gypsy because there is no way in the world I could ever acquire professional work.

Like the OP, I work in a client management position for a major bank.
Old May 25th 2009, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by immichaelcaine

As for work opportunities, many IT jobs are English only – especially software development, and in the aerospace industry (with which I have intimate knowledge). .
Howdee, not to drag the thread off topic, but do you know if many in the aerospace industry would hire someone on an under 35 1 year working visa? (technical writing/documentation for example)
I've been looking in France this year for a job, but so far no luck, and I would like to live in a French speaking environment. (My French would be fairly good..).
If I'm not successful in France this year, I would consider Quebec, but I am worried that it might be a similar story to Australia (not getting a "real job" on a working holiday visa)...
Old May 25th 2009, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough

Have you considered the province of Quebec? I'm currently working between Montreal, QC and Falls Church, VA (USA). I managed my employment here as an internal transfer and fixed two year contractual exchange opportunity; I was happily surprised in what I found in this charming city of 1.6 million. Montreal is the hidden gem of Canada – very much underestimated, and has a rightly unique "Canadian" feel to it (BTW - I've spent a few holiday weeks in Vancouver, Toronto and Halifax). The city is old by North-American standards (c. 1650) – and is quaintly reminiscent of old Boston.

The French Canadian culture in Montreal is unlike any other culture I have experienced - a little awkward at first, but once you get past some minor cultural nuances, the people are the most hospitable I have come across in Canada (and the US, as a matter). Do not make the mistake of confusing them with their European cousins – they are really oil and water. The French Canadians in Montreal have an incredible sense of humour, as compared to the typically "Canservative" humour I have seen among the Torontonians and Vancouverites. I did have some initial problems with French-Canadian working-class attitudes in Montreal, but eventually found their comments to be more tongue-in-cheek than personal insult or “Anglophobias”. I think many English Canadians misunderstand French Quebecers – to their unfortunate loss.

As a young couple, I would recommend highly your taking a gander at Montreal – or even Quebec City; both cities contain so many museums, cultural icons, excellent restaurants, an amazingly decadent nightlife, super facilities for sports and activities, easy access to a pristine outdoors, etc. As for work opportunities, many IT jobs are English only – especially software development, and in the aerospace industry (with which I have intimate knowledge). Contrary to popular belief, French is not a requirement in Montreal – my entire workplace is officially “bilingual”, but in reality it is 100% English. However, I’m not in tune with the effect of the economic downturn at present, but it appears to be of a lesser effect here than in the UK.

If you are daring enough to make the jump over, why not immerse yourself into a truly rewarding culture and challenge? Good luck in your decision.
excellent post! we are considering ottawa primarily but will be visiting montreal for 3 nights whilst we are there in the Summer.

i am a mechanical and electrical building services engineer, although i'm sure i could turn my hand to various forms of engineering. i know engineers are in great demand in Quebec and having looked at the immigration website, i understand a permanent visa would be relatively easy to obtain without even a job offer! how would you say the engineering and construction industries are in Montreal just now? do you enjoy life in general in montreal?

like everybody else, my only worry was the language barrier, although this is definitely not insurmountable as my girlfriend and I would love to increase our french abilities.
Old May 26th 2009, 12:35 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Montréal is a great city for DINKies - Plateau Mont-Royal is a really fun place to live with lots of cafés and bars.

As for the French - it's a great opportunity to learn it! Where I work it's 100% English speaking, even the Francophones speak English.

Montréal is definitely too overlooked by BErs as it is a great city.
Old May 26th 2009, 12:36 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kancell
excellent post! we are considering ottawa primarily but will be visiting montreal for 3 nights whilst we are there in the Summer.

i am a mechanical and electrical building services engineer, although i'm sure i could turn my hand to various forms of engineering. i know engineers are in great demand in Quebec and having looked at the immigration website, i understand a permanent visa would be relatively easy to obtain without even a job offer! how would you say the engineering and construction industries are in Montreal just now? do you enjoy life in general in montreal?

like everybody else, my only worry was the language barrier, although this is definitely not insurmountable as my girlfriend and I would love to increase our french abilities.
When we were coming over it took about 4 years to get PR in Canada and 12-18 months via Québec.....

Learn some French whilst you're waiting for your application to go through and you'll be in Canada in no time at all!
Old May 26th 2009, 12:38 am
C'est correck

Originally Posted by criodain
Howdee, not to drag the thread off topic, but do you know if many in the aerospace industry would hire someone on an under 35 1 year working visa? (technical writing/documentation for example)
I've been looking in France this year for a job, but so far no luck, and I would like to live in a French speaking environment. (My French would be fairly good..).
If I'm not successful in France this year, I would consider Quebec, but I am worried that it might be a similar story to Australia (not getting a "real job" on a working holiday visa)...
Bombardier is crying out for staff - check their website.

But if you only want to stay a year, I think you'll have problems getting a high-level job anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.