Reload this Page >

best place for rugby in canada

best place for rugby in canada

Old Jan 13th 2007, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

aroncai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default best place for rugby in canada

Hi,
quite new to site , from Wales, miles away from actually getting in to Canada at present time. If i did get in would be nice to know where would be the best place for my boy to participate in this sport when he's older?

lynn
Old Jan 13th 2007, 5:48 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best place for rugby in canada

Newfoundland. The Rock are the Canadian super league champions 2nd year running and there are a number of excellent local teams. The Rock also hosted the USA/Canada international last year where the Canadians massacred the yanks for a place in the 07 World Cup. On current performance I suspect they'll do rather better than England!
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

The Welshman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

This is the link for Canada Rugby

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/

Hope this is a help
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:09 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised to see how many clubs there appear to be in Calgary ....

http://www.google.ca/search?client=f...=Google+Search

I knew they played at Irish Fields in the NE and at the university .......
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I was surprised to see how many clubs there appear to be in Calgary ....

http://www.google.ca/search?client=f...=Google+Search

I knew they played at Irish Fields in the NE and at the university .......
Thanks all for your replies - good to know rugby's well aand kicking in Canada. If i did move out there, the wife would miss Coronation st and Emerdale, ide be glad to see the back of it , but apart from family and some friends the greatest thing i would miss is getting togetherwith the lads to watch the internationals- 6 nations. Few beers and chat about the games afterwards. Is it televised out there and do any of you get together and meet up in a bar to watch and enjoy?

Lynn
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't take this the wrong way, 'cos it's true. A lot of high schools in Ontario have rugby teams...for girls.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:34 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Please don't take this the wrong way, 'cos it's true. A lot of high schools in Ontario have rugby teams...for girls.
Full contact or touch?
(This is an innocent question before anyone decides otherwise )
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:37 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Full contact or touch?
When I played in HS is was 'flag' but later on I played in a women's league and it was touch, with some contact usually with feathers or warm scented massage oil... oh wait, I'm thinking of after the games, all dewy in the steamy shower room.

Anyways, it wasn't full contact but most of the women I played with were 25 feet tall and stomped all over me, then gave me a "didn't see you down there" pat on the head.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Full contact or touch?
Hi,
when my lad is a little older , as he is quite young - he would be initiated to touch rugby as their bones quite soft and fragile at a young age, ful contact when older.

arioncai.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
When I played in HS is was 'flag' but later on I played in a women's league and it was touch, with some contact usually with feathers or warm scented massage oil... oh wait, I'm thinking of after the games, all dewy in the steamy shower room.

Anyways, it wasn't full contact but most of the women I played with were 25 feet tall and stomped all over me, then gave me a "didn't see you down there" pat on the head.

I do have a daughter but would try and discourage her from playing it as it can be a bit rough on the field.

aroncai
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:20 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Don't spose there's any Rugby League teams in the GTA?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:38 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aroncai
Hi,
quite new to site , from Wales, miles away from actually getting in to Canada at present time. If i did get in would be nice to know where would be the best place for my boy to participate in this sport when he's older?

lynn
I'd be very cautious of relocating my son to Canada if I were you. You just never know what might happen when he gets over here. He might take up ice hockey, basesball, soccer (the name that Canadians use for British-style football, which is growing in popularity in Canada) or, heaven forbid, ice fishing.

We took our Canadian born-and-raised sons, who then were teenagers, to Australia. At first they quite rightly considered cricket players to be very low on the food chain. But, with time, they condescended to watch their friends' matches. That was a slippery slope, all right. Next thing you knew, one of them actually played cricket.

Okay, I'm being facetious. My husband and I are from South Africa, and for us one of the great pleasures of our expat stint in Australia was living in a cricket-playing country again for a while. But every element of Australian life that made my husband and me feel at home made our kids feel alien at first. Yet, after a while, they started to go native.

I guess what I'm trying to do is warn you that, while you may research every little facet of Canada, identify places where your son can play rugby and what not, you have no idea what forces you've unleashed once you get into the migration game. I can almost guarantee you that many of the things you now think will be issues will be forgotten, and the things that jump up to bite you in the ass (Canadian pronunciation) will be things you will not even have thought about.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 4:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellydrew
Don't spose there's any Rugby League teams in the GTA?
Hi Drew. I don't think there's any League teams in the GTA, at least I've never heard of them if they exist. There are quite a few Union clubs around. The club in Markham has the best field / stands and hosts international friendlies now and then. Last summer I also watched Canada vs England (OK England B) at the York University ground (normally used for college football). It was actually a very good game with England winning on a try on the last movement, involving a ruck on the try line which continued for a good five minutes over normal time before the try was finally scored. And it was right in front of where I was sitting.

(I hope I'm not making a gender-biased assumption here....if this is Kelly, ooops!
Old Jan 15th 2007, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I'd be very cautious of relocating my son to Canada if I were you. You just never know what might happen when he gets over here. He might take up ice hockey, basesball, soccer (the name that Canadians use for British-style football, which is growing in popularity in Canada) or, heaven forbid, ice fishing.

We took our Canadian born-and-raised sons, who then were teenagers, to Australia. At first they quite rightly considered cricket players to be very low on the food chain. But, with time, they condescended to watch their friends' matches. That was a slippery slope, all right. Next thing you knew, one of them actually played cricket.

Okay, I'm being facetious. My husband and I are from South Africa, and for us one of the great pleasures of our expat stint in Australia was living in a cricket-playing country again for a while. But every element of Australian life that made my husband and me feel at home made our kids feel alien at first. Yet, after a while, they started to go native.

I guess what I'm trying to do is warn you that, while you may research every little facet of Canada, identify places where your son can play rugby and what not, you have no idea what forces you've unleashed once you get into the migration game. I can almost guarantee you that many of the things you now think will be issues will be forgotten, and the things that jump up to bite you in the ass (Canadian pronunciation) will be things you will not even have thought about.
Hi there,
I appreciate what youre saying. At the end of the day so long as the kids are safe and happy in what they do its fine by me , and if he decides he prefers ice hockey to rugby as long as he has a good gum shield and head gear i dont mind. As a matter of interest is ice fishing - drilling a hole in the ice and sitting there frezing your bum off wating for a bite? If it is first seen it in a film , "grumpy old men * i think Jack and Walter.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 5:42 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aroncai
As a matter of interest is ice fishing - drilling a hole in the ice and sitting there frezing your bum off wating for a bite?
Yes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.