Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best place to live in Nova Scotia?

Best place to live in Nova Scotia?

Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Neil and Sandie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Best place to live in Nova Scotia?

We are living in BC which is lovely but we miss the sea and would love to live in a friendly ocean side village - with a pub!
At the moment we have a B and B/Lodge in one of the most beautiful provincial parks and it is doing very well - but we would rather have less income and a lifestyle where we have time for ourselves, friends and family! An ocean view and a small boat would complete the dream!
We have hit on Nova Scotia as being pretty idyllic but would be interested in any advice! We love the look of Mahone Bay for example - from it's web site.
We could run a small B and B again (but without offering dinners as well this time!) or we could buy some small properties to let maybe.
Any advice or experiences would be most welcome! We have moved from UK to Menorca, then to Zambia and now to Canada - time we settled down!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:50 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to live in Nova Scotia?

Originally Posted by Neil and Sandie
We are living in BC which is lovely but we miss the sea and would love to live in a friendly ocean side village - with a pub!
Isn't there a big one just to the left of BC ?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:16 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha exactly what I was thinking.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Well yes!!! We had spotted that!! Maybe we should re-phrase the question! It is a characterful, quaint village that we are looking for - and a property overlooking the ocean. We use to have a house in Polperro in Cornwall - right opposite an amazing pub - had to walk half an hour from where we parked the car (before you ask why we didn't just stay there!!) Nova Scotia seems to fit the bill far better than BC and is much more affordable into the bargain! We'd still keep a small cabin up here in the Park if we can afford to.
Can you think of anywhere on the West coast? We have been looking.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:59 am
Pissy Mare

Location: Previously Hertfordshire, now in Chester Basin, Nova Scotia :)
Stonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud of

I love Polperro, visited there many times

I don't have any advice or experience of what you're planning to do, but I work in Mahone Bay and it is just as beautiful as it looks on google. In fact there are plenty of places along the South Shore that would fit the bill
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all

Mahone Bay is wonderful...Lunenburg (not far from Mahone Bay) also has some fantastic properties if you are looking to B&B (although there will be a fair amount of competition in both areas). From my experience, if the pub element is important, then Lunenburg would be the better bet.

Mahone has a more coastal feel to it, whilst Lunenburg is more of a harbour town (if that makes sense)? If you want a Cornish analogy, think Wadebridge vs Falmouth!
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Sammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of light

Always enjoy the forum - we currently live in Nova Scotia and are looking to move to BC, as its too quiet here and we are pretty bored!!

I would agree with the last post tho, Lunenburg is lovely but I would stress the tourism industry would be a far cry from that in BC with regard to Bed and Breakfasts etc.

Good luck
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

Hi contact the couple, David and Jenny, that runs the b&b below. They moved from UK and bought the place as a going concern in lunenburg. We have stayed there it is beautiful place.
http://www.kaulbachhouse.com/

They will be able to give you some insight into the south shore ns and the tourist industry.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:43 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt know what specifically you would find appealing, but I would recommend coming out for a recce before you commit to somewhere. How quiet do you want it? It can be quiet but also a little backwaterish too. Not wishing to put you off NS, we love it, but the locals are a special breed when you get out to the boonies!

Also, as I am sure you are aware and may even experience in BC to some degree, NS shuts down in the winter. Its halcion days all summer long in these picture perfect spots, but come winter its you and the locals and whatever place is willing to open.

You know, this is the most negative post I have put on here about NS - I need to lie down! I love the place and having lived in New Zealand before this, I think I have a good grasp on what I like! Just not sure what lifestyle you hope for if the town is small. And ocean view properties are not as cheap as you might expect.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Best place to live in Nova Scotia?

Originally Posted by Stonedog
I love Polperro, visited there many times

I don't have any advice or experience of what you're planning to do, but I work in Mahone Bay and it is just as beautiful as it looks on google. In fact there are plenty of places along the South Shore that would fit the bill
Hi! Thanks for your input! What is Mahone Bay like in the Winter? Anything open? Pubs or restaurants? Anything happening? It does look gorgeous! Which other places can you think of along the South Shore that would fit the bill? Any info would be really appreciated!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Best place to live in Nova Scotia?

Originally Posted by JandG
Mahone Bay is wonderful...Lunenburg (not far from Mahone Bay) also has some fantastic properties if you are looking to B&B (although there will be a fair amount of competition in both areas). From my experience, if the pub element is important, then Lunenburg would be the better bet.

Mahone has a more coastal feel to it, whilst Lunenburg is more of a harbour town (if that makes sense)? If you want a Cornish analogy, think Wadebridge vs Falmouth!
Thanks J and G! Sounds like we need to look at Lunenburg as well! We wanted some place small and personal where we would know everyone! It is important that it doesn't hibernate in the Winter though!! Thanks for the Cornish analogy!!! That helps!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Sammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of light

I cant think of anywhere in Nova Scotia that doesnt hibernate in the winter???

I think winter shut down will be par for the course whatever rural/coastal area you look at in Nova Scotia, especially the south shore villages as many of the homes, certainly in Chester/Mahone Bay/Lunenburg are second homes (very similar to Cornwall in that respect) and they become like ghost towns in the winter months, unfortunately there is no winter tourist trade as there are no ski resorts etc.

Please dont think of my comments as being overly negative - just trying to be realistic and helpful! Be prepared to make your living in the Summer only, maybe go to Florida for the Winter like many maritimers do?
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Neil and Sandie
It is important that it doesn't hibernate in the Winter though!!
Erm...we don't land until next month, but I get the impression that pretty much all of NS hibernates through the winter! I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to confirm or deny this for you...

We first visited in April 2004 and were greeted by many locals with the phrase..."why on earth are you visiting at this time of year...we're shut!"
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sammypeeps
I cant think of anywhere in Nova Scotia that doesnt hibernate in the winter???

I think winter shut down will be par for the course whatever rural/coastal area you look at in Nova Scotia, especially the south shore villages as many of the homes, certainly in Chester/Mahone Bay/Lunenburg are second homes (very similar to Cornwall in that respect) and they become like ghost towns in the winter months, unfortunately there is no winter tourist trade as there are no ski resorts etc.

Please dont think of my comments as being overly negative - just trying to be realistic and helpful! Be prepared to make your living in the Summer only, maybe go to Florida for the Winter like many maritimers do?
See - I told someone would be along...
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:21 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JandG
Erm...we don't land until next month, but I get the impression that pretty much all of NS hibernates through the winter! I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to confirm or deny this for you...

We first visited in April 2004 and were greeted by many locals with the phrase..."why on earth are you visiting at this time of year...we're shut!"
In the tourist towns yes, but the rest of the province carries on pretty much as normal.

On edit. Just remembered our liquor store opens for an hour longer during the summer, so you may have a valid point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.