Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best place to live initially in Calgary?

Best place to live initially in Calgary?

Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

james_patrick_page is on a distinguished road
Default Best place to live initially in Calgary?

Hi there
We are moving over to Calgary in January to work, we will be working
right in the centre of Calagary but dont want to live right in a city centre,
so what is the best place to base ourselves for the first 6 months or
so till we find our feet, i.e somewhere handy for transport links, good
facilities etc.
Thanks
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:49 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to live initially in Calgary?

I'd suggesting renting in Kensington.

You can walk and/or catch the C-train into downtown, and it's got the closest thing to a buzzing nightlife that Calgary can offer.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

It is going to depend a lot on your budget, whether you have kids, etc. You will probably get more answers if you give more details. It's a big city!
Old Oct 1st 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bgroe
It is going to depend a lot on your budget, whether you have kids, etc. You will probably get more answers if you give more details. It's a big city!
No kids, just the two of us.
Budget about $700 - $800 per month.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 8:21 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james_patrick_page
No kids, just the two of us.
Budget about $700 - $800 per month.
You may want to rethink the budget. For that you will be hard pressed to get a 1 bedroom apartment.http://calgary.rentersonline.com/ren...ea270d21a434c4
Old Oct 1st 2011, 8:37 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes! That is not a good budget for Calgary. Your options become much more limited.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Yikes! That is not a good budget for Calgary. Your options become much more limited.
..ok ignoring the budget lets assume money is no object,
what is the best place to start off in Calgary?
Also what is a suite and what is a condo???
Most rentals I've seen appear to be in basements?
Thanks people
Old Oct 1st 2011, 9:40 pm
Lowering the tone

Like I said earlier, Kensington would be a great place for a young couple with no kids. It's the trendy area. Marda Loop is also good.

Have a look at rentfaster and see what you might be able to get. (This link should go direct to Calgary 1 & 2 bed apartments... how helpful am I? Just call me the new Judy of Calgary!)

A condo is an apartment block, or a flat in an apartment block. A suite can be a suite (flat) in a condo block, or it can be a separate (usually basement) suite in a house. Like a house that's divided up into flats, but usually purpose built.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Like I said earlier, Kensington would be a great place for a young couple with no kids. It's the trendy area. Marda Loop is also good.

Have a look at rentfaster and see what you might be able to get. (This link should go direct to Calgary 1 & 2 bed apartments... how helpful am I? Just call me the new Judy of Calgary!)

A condo is an apartment block, or a flat in an apartment block. A suite can be a suite (flat) in a condo block, or it can be a separate (usually basement) suite in a house. Like a house that's divided up into flats, but usually purpose built.
Big thanks dude.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said earlier, Kensington would be a great place for a young couple with no kids.
I agree. If I was young and even vaguely trendy I'd head to this area.

(Thanks Judy <waves> )
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all

Another vote for Kensington/Marda Loop. Eau Claire area usually has some rather fancy apartments for rent but you'll be paying more.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Why are you opposed to downtown as an option out of interest? It's pretty much the perfect place to start exploring the city from.

That budget of $700-800 is going to need re-thinking (maybe even doubling).
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
Why are you opposed to downtown as an option out of interest? It's pretty much the perfect place to start exploring the city from.

That budget of $700-800 is going to need re-thinking (maybe even doubling).
I was just assuming the actual down town would be the priciest area to be?
Not against it at all.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:40 pm
Lowering the tone

Downtown is fine. There are lots of apartments available, though most above your budget. The only problem with downtown is that it is D-E-A-D after 7pm and at the weekends.

I'd also check out areas like Mission and around 17th Ave SW.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:51 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also check out areas like Mission and around 17th Ave SW.
Try here: http://www.rentfaster.ca/maps/calgary_map.html

Oh ... you have to click on the map to zoom to the Mount Royal/Beltline/17th Ave areas .....

(That's to the SW of the city centre)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.