Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

best place to change dollars back to pounds?

best place to change dollars back to pounds?

Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

lee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nice
Default best place to change dollars back to pounds?

can anyone advise best place to change dollars back to pounds? we moved back to uk and sold our house after we moved now need to move money back to UK.

the CIBC bank says write our self a cheque, but our bank in the UK says the cheque will have to be posted back to canada for them to ok then post back, then on top of that wait another week for funds to clear.

many thanks lee
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:16 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best place to change dollars back to pounds?

Originally Posted by lee58uk View Post
can anyone advise best place to change dollars back to pounds? we moved back to uk and sold our house after we moved now need to move money back to UK.

the CIBC bank says write our self a cheque, but our bank in the UK says the cheque will have to be posted back to canada for them to ok then post back, then on top of that wait another week for funds to clear.

many thanks lee
Moneycorp or HIFX.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee58uk View Post

many thanks lee
We're also moving back in a few weeks and will need to transfer money back to you UK bank account (which thankfully I kept open since we left in 1999) I was just going to do a wire transfer. So if anyone has a better suggestion I'd like to know too. We are also with CIBC.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:50 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I would go with what Tangram said.

To get an example of the exchange rates phone them all on the same day/time and ask them to convert XXX amount from CDN $ to GBP. All their websites are usually not up-to-date on the days rates so a phonecall is best.

Ask the bank to quote any charges too. HIFX and Moneycorp do not charge a fee because they factor it into the exchange rate.

Now check the differences at the end - it may add up to be quite a tidy sum
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do View Post
I would go with what Tangram said.

To get an example of the exchange rates phone them all on the same day/time and ask them to convert XXX amount from CDN $ to GBP. All their websites are usually not up-to-date on the days rates so a phonecall is best.

Ask the bank to quote any charges too. HIFX and Moneycorp do not charge a fee because they factor it into the exchange rate.

Now check the differences at the end - it may add up to be quite a tidy sum
I'll be sure to check that out
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold

I have been using CustomHouse for 3 years now. Originally to send pounds to dollars to pay the mortgage on our Canadian property and now from dollars to pounds to pay the mortgage on our UK property. Rates/fees are constantly better than banks in either UK or Canada in my experience.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 3:10 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

We use Custom House (Canadian company with office in the UK) as well for our business Fx needs. They are easy to work with and the rates are slightly better than the banks.

Another option is open a foreign currency account (CDN$) with a UK bank, such as Barclays and do the exchange though that. I'd still go with Custom House.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:52 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Used moneycorp - good rates good service