Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best place in Canada to move to?

Best place in Canada to move to?

Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place in Canada to move to?

Originally Posted by AbbieClements
Although we do love Devon and Cornwall it still just isn't what we want. Part of going to Canada too is to get away from this country in which I have had a lot of bad things happen, so one of the reasons is to start afresh and put the past behind.

Plus it's too grey and cloudy in England I know many areas in Canada have over 300 days of sunshine, and as I am not good with very hot weather, it's perfect! Canada has the scenery, friendly people, community feel, clean air in places and the weather. We can't resist, just need to find the best places to visit on holiday next year as obviously we can't go around everywhere!
To get a sense of the best place then. What kinds of things do you like to do when not working? You said you don't like clubbing, I agree with you there, but what about pub crawls, nice restaurants? Do you want to go fishing, hunting, skiing or sailing or do you have specific hobbies you want to pursue?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oink
Stay away from BC then, its pretty much a rubbish place.

And there's the drugs. Apart from a few BE members I've met, I usually socialize in rarified and exclusive company and even then most of the people are smoking drugs a lot. Think of the tv programme Shameless and multiply it by ten.
funny
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Although we do love Devon and Cornwall it still just isn't what we want. Part of going to Canada too is to get away from this country in which I have had a lot of bad things happen, so one of the reasons is to start afresh and put the past behind.

Plus it's too grey and cloudy in England I know many areas in Canada have over 300 days of sunshine, and as I am not good with very hot weather, it's perfect! Canada has the scenery, friendly people, community feel, clean air in places and the weather. We can't resist, just need to find the best places to visit on holiday next year as obviously we can't go around everywhere!
for the past month its rained constantly here! Bc has seasons, last June was colloquially called "Junuary" here cos it was so miserable!! you will meet miserable people here too, and although the landscape is beautiful, if you're sad, you'll still be sad!!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

AbbieClements will become famous soon enoughAbbieClements will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
for the past month its rained constantly here! Bc has seasons, last June was colloquially called "Junuary" here cos it was so miserable!! you will meet miserable people here too, and although the landscape is beautiful, if you're sad, you'll still be sad!!
That is true yes...

All I want to do is to start a new life afresh so I don't think I will be sad. Every time I put money away every month and scrape together pennies to live off otherwise, I get more and more excited about starting a new life. Yes it may be miserable, there may be crime, and it may be just like the UK in some ways, but it is such a vast country I don't doubt for a second that there will be somewhere that is 100% better and perfect for me.

Really helping to hear people's opinions!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:28 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You were just round the corner from Le Chien Noir Bistro. Shame.
A colleague eats there often. Maybe we should give Kingston a second chance.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

That is true yes...

All I want to do is to start a new life afresh so I don't think I will be sad. Every time I put money away every month and scrape together pennies to live off otherwise, I get more and more excited about starting a new life. Yes it may be miserable, there may be crime, and it may be just like the UK in some ways, but it is such a vast country I don't doubt for a second that there will be somewhere that is 100% better and perfect for me.

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Too high expectations of what a new life can do for you. Your mental baggage will go wherever you do.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:39 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Halifax and work?
hey everyone I know whos in Halifax is working....and I would say 90% of them have the jobs they want and are happy
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

That is true yes...

I don't mean to seem factitious but have you thought about buying a shed and brewing our own cider instead?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=AbbieClements;1058276/ as I am not good with very hot weather'[/QUOTE
Well that lets Oliver out then as it gets very warm in summer.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:45 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

That is true yes...

I think you should temper your romanticism with a modicum of realism.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I don't mean to seem factitious but have you thought about buying a shed and brewing our own cider instead?
I'm thinking of brewing my own beer again. I haven't done it for nearly 20 years now, but as you can buy all the stuff you need in the supermarket so it might be worth a go.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm thinking of brewing my own beer again. I haven't done it for nearly 20 years now, but as you can buy all the stuff you need in the supermarket so it might be worth a go.
You have the space for it. I have to be content with smuggling the stuff over the border.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:51 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

That is true yes...

You dont need to move 3500miles and leave all security and familiarity of your family and friends behind to start a new chapter in your life.

Sometime the move just makes the bad things worse.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:00 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Too high expectations of what a new life can do for you. Your mental baggage will go wherever you do.
it's same old $h1t, different bucket

I thought that when I moved to Calgary just over five years ago I would become an outdoor-loving skiing whizz. In reality, I am stuck indoors with two rambunctious kids and haven't even managed to get a sniff near a ski hill, and in the mean time my knee caps are degenerating at an alarming rate.....

Having said that, Calgary will give you good access to the outdoors, blue skies even in winter when it's cold, bearable weather all year round (chinooks that give you respite from the cold in winter, not too humid in the summers), a few months of pesky mozzies, and reasonably good employment opportunities. If you like the ocean then head further west to the Okanagan (mountains AND lakes) or even further west to the BC coast.

As some others have suggested, do the ice visa first - you can get two times one year visas and with one year of qualifying work experience you could then apply for permanent residence under the Canadian experience class. Remember when you come over on holiday that if you end up living here you will not be swanning about all the time in lovely hotels and tootling round the nice tourist honeypots. You'll be commuting to work (hopefully) in a minus thirty windchill, the bus/train will be delayed, your boss may be a complete tosspot, you'll be complaining about the price of cheese/booze/availability of marmite like the rest of us
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Alberta is beautiful, plenty of work some lovely smaller cities. Red Deer where we are isn't overly exciting as a city because it's only small but there are lovely trails and parks, great cross country skiing i'm told, ski canyon 5 mins up the road if you fancy trying down hill before you go into the mountains, lots of lakes close by, 2 hour drive and you're into Banff National Park. An amazing place I would recommend to anyone

And as a bonus......although there is a lot of snow and it can get pretty cold the blue skies and sun shine almost all year round make it well worth a little cold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.