Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best place in Canada to move to?

Best place in Canada to move to?

Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:07 pm
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place in Canada to move to?

Originally Posted by AbbieClements
I just want a new life...
Have you thought about reincarnation?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:09 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjones
Have you thought about reincarnation?
I snorted when I read that, woke the cat up
Old Mar 5th 2013, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

Im from Bradford and some parts are not bad as my mum and dad live in a nice area of bradford

Originally Posted by dbd33
Tar ponds. Unemployment. Misery. It's attractive in the same way as, say, Bradford; it's cheap to live there and the nearby countryside is nice.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

I have seen it is beautiful, I think from what I have read it isn't the beauty that has let it down it has been employment, house prices etc

Most areas of Canada look beautiful
we've been to BC half a dozen times, initially on vacation and then on recce trips and awful is the last word I'd use. I agree it's not the cheapest place in the country to live but there seems to be a decent employment prospects and the reason the prices are high (albeit not too high compared to most parts of the UK) is demand. I'm sure there are other good places to live but you could do a lot worse.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by Seaton
Hi,

We emigrated from the UK in 2009 from just outside Stratford Upon Avon, and now live in Okotoks, Alberta.

The mountains are beautiful, and you can see them from where we live, yes its great to go Quading in the summer.

Think seriously, if you think for one minute you'll arrive here, walk into a job, and get your qualifications recognised, you won't!

Trust me, its a lot harder than you think - we know lots after 4 to 5 years that have returned to the UK, do a search on here for peoples experiences.

Before you leave, give it some serious thought!

S
Hi, have you been in Okotoks since 2009? It's the area we expect to finish up in as there seem to be more job prospects in Calgary ( based on conversations with recruitment consultants during recce trips ). How did you solve the job search problem?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

AbbieClements will become famous soon enoughAbbieClements will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Seaton
Hi,

We emigrated from the UK in 2009 from just outside Stratford Upon Avon, and now live in Okotoks, Alberta.

The mountains are beautiful, and you can see them from where we live, yes its great to go Quading in the summer.

Think seriously, if you think for one minute you'll arrive here, walk into a job, and get your qualifications recognised, you won't!

Trust me, its a lot harder than you think - we know lots after 4 to 5 years that have returned to the UK, do a search on here for peoples experiences.

Before you leave, give it some serious thought!

S
Thank you I am hearing lots of opinions on here which is helpful. Have got another 3 years of thinking and planning so I am hoping it won't go tits up!

I have many many questions because I want to get this right!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 11:14 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
C'mon, penticton must be in with a shout. 200 million people can't be wrong? can they?
One factor that may count for many is Penticton's airport and all the shopping opportunities. In smaller towns (like Oliver) I found the grocery stores pricier than normal, and I think that's just greed because there are so many seniors who have to shop locally. You can buy a box of apples at Safeway in Regina for less than they cost at Super Valu in Oliver, right behind the packing house they come from. They have a routine bus that makes runs to Penticton with old shoppers.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 11:58 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Go where you can be reasonably employed giving a reasonable standard of living, with other employment opportunities if they let you go so you don't need to move again, and is a reasonably pleasant place to live.

End of.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:07 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Go where you can be reasonably employed giving a reasonable standard of living, with other employment opportunities if they let you go so you don't need to move again, and is a reasonably pleasant place to live.

End of.
That's a reasonable answer. End of thread then!!!!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:42 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Not stupid sarcasm.
As I explained, with this many bored brits, stupid sarcasm is an inevitable by product of commonly asked or badly defined questions.

Take the rough with the smooth and stop carping on about it.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:27 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Newfoundland doesn't ever seem to fair well in any forums or discussions I have seen, nor does Nova Scotia. Many times i see BC is awful.

But I won't necessarily disregard these places as just like anywhere, everywhere has bad parts/points. Good to hear what people have to say though
Newfoundland is an well kept secret. Mainlanders think it is all fog, poverty and fiddle music. In actuality St Johns is a blooming small city with great access to the outdoors, a good restaurant and bar scene and as much fiddle music as you can stomach. It can be foggy though.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

AbbieClements will become famous soon enoughAbbieClements will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iaink
As I explained, with this many bored brits, stupid sarcasm is an inevitable by product of commonly asked or badly defined questions.

Take the rough with the smooth and stop carping on about it.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:02 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

With apologoes to Hutchy - don't move to Lloydminister. Was up there visiting hubby for a few days and decided to go for a drive around to see exactly what the place was about and how big it was - and really to see if there was anything other than the oil refineries etc.

Aside from a new development on the south east side - that place is a shite hole. There's no scenery to make it interesting, the roads are full of potholes, and it all revloves arounds Husky Energy.

Bleurgh.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Seaton is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you I am hearing lots of opinions on here which is helpful. Have got another 3 years of thinking and planning so I am hoping it won't go tits up!

I have many many questions because I want to get this right!
Hi,

Take your time, but 'do your homework' as there are many horror stories from UK people in Okotoks, who have since returned to the UK for all-sorts of reasons - some good - some incredible!

Having been here since 2009, and experienced working with Canadians, its certainly been an education that's for sure!

My advice to anyone coming here is this, forget the clear blue skies, forget the mountains, forget the lakes - yes its all beautiful, but look at living within the Canadian infrastructure as to where you will work.

Discrimination here is rife, if they have a Canadian worker here who hasn't a clue, and drinks coffee all day, and doesn't give a damn about the job - he'll get hired over an outsider (UK) who is switched on any day of the week.

I saw this happen many times within the company I work for - other Brits have said it too.

If I were you, I'd look in other sections on here who have perhaps returned to the UK, and worked in your profession to give you some real tips of how it works here - and why they returned of course.

S
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Seaton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Theoldfields
Hi, have you been in Okotoks since 2009? It's the area we expect to finish up in as there seem to be more job prospects in Calgary ( based on conversations with recruitment consultants during recce trips ). How did you solve the job search problem?
Hi,

Yes, been here since 2009.

We applied for PR in 2006, came over on a W/Permit with a job offer in 2009 and got PR Feb 2010.

There's lots of work, depends on what you do, be careful of what Recruitment people tell you - they're so full of it!

It's who you know I'm afraid, and if 'Canadian Joe' says you're good-to-go then you're in!

What line of work do you do?

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.