Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best place in Canada to move to?

Best place in Canada to move to?

Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:55 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place in Canada to move to?

Originally Posted by AbbieClements
Just near mountains and lakes so I can get out on my bike

I don't want to live in a huge crowded city. Small town near beautiful scenery!
That rules Calgary out then..small town it aint...1 million people and rising fast
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Looks gorgeous!!
You didnt accidentally google the one in Surrey by mistake did you?

few parts of the GTA can really be described as gorgous, and the few that are are generally only 2 minutes from some more urban concrete monstrosity or power line forest.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 4th 2013 at 2:17 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
few parts of the GTA can really be described as gorgous
I offer the Necropolis, off Sumach Street, and the water treatment plant at the bottom of Victoria Park. The rest aint all that.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

AbbieClements will become famous soon enoughAbbieClements will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Wow that's the first time I've heard that blanket statement about arguably the most beautiful province in the country. It sound as though BC or ab are the places for you if you want mountains
I have seen it is beautiful, I think from what I have read it isn't the beauty that has let it down it has been employment, house prices etc

Most areas of Canada look beautiful
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:59 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

I just want a new life, I need to go somewhere where there are opportunities for my skills. I like the outdoor life, not interested in big cities and clubbing/shopping etc.

There's nothing to do or see here, Canada is beautiful and Calgary I know is near the Rockies so I thought about there. I just don't know what places are good in welcoming new comers.

Not thinking about family so really just a young couple hoping to start a new life together and have a stable career and go out in the fresh air and enjoy life.

are you serious!? if you travel outside your town you will find numerous things to see and do in the UK and you have the whole of Europe on your doorstep!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

AbbieClements will become famous soon enoughAbbieClements will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lorry1
are you serious!? if you travel outside your town you will find numerous things to see and do in the UK and you have the whole of Europe on your doorstep!
I have traveled all around the UK and most of Europe. Hence why I want to leave and move to Canada. Says it all.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

You didnt accidentally google the one in Surrey by mistake did you?
http://www.thames-path.org.uk/images...on_court_8.jpg

few parts of the GTA can really be described as gorgous, and the few that are are generally only 2 minutes from some more urban concrete monstrosity or power line forest.
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/83478488.jpg
I did put in Richmond Hill Canada into Google and I was presented with pictures of beautiful trees and buildings. Maybe not then!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

All the ones in my Beautiful Canada calendar do. Not like the ones in that Brutal Britain calendar featuring housing projects in Scarborough and Rexdale.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I have traveled all around the UK and most of Europe. Hence why I want to leave and move to Canada. Says it all.
If Europe bores you god help you here

Seriously, the UK is expensive, has crap weather and some social issues, but I cant imagine being bored of it. Canada on the other hand lacks some for culture and history, and the place is so spread out that what there is generally involves covering a lot of miles to get to it.

Vacation allowance is low by european standards and internal air fares are so expensive that its prohibitive to exploring the place too.

Wide open spaces, less overcrowding, less stress, Canada offers all that and more outside the major urban areas, but excitement is someway down the list.

Consider the working holiday visa and come for a year or so and check out a few areas before moving full time would be my unsolicited advice. Vancouver offers the mountains and water you seek, as does Kamloups, but its expensive there and good jobs hard to land.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 4th 2013 at 2:15 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I did put in Richmond Hill Canada into Google and I was presented with pictures of beautiful trees and buildings. Maybe not then!
Try google streetview.

To my jaded eye most of the GTA looks the same, and the bits that are nice are prohibitively expensive for the most part. For me the higher wages dont justify spending your life in traffic and living shoulder to shoulder in a $500k 48' wide house on a 50' lot.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:16 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen it is beautiful, I think from what I have read it isn't the beauty that has let it down it has been employment, house prices etc

Looks can be deceiving. Crime is rampant here. I'm glad you don't have children. There were eight murders in one day here recently.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/01...n_2474425.html
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
Looks can be deceiving. Crime is rampant here. I'm glad you don't have children. There were eight murders in one day here recently.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/01...n_2474425.html
I know that is why I said it was one of the areas I would stay clear of. It's not all about beauty I need to be safe-ish!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

If Europe bores you god help you here

Seriously, the UK is expensive, has crap weather and some social issues, but I cant imagine being bored of it. Canada on the other hand lacks some for culture and history, and the place is so spread out that what there is generally involves covering a lot of miles to get to it.

Vacation allowance is low by european standards and internal air fares are so expensive that its prohibitive to exploring the place too.

Wide open spaces, less overcrowding, less stress, Canada offers all that and more outside the major urban areas, but excitement is someway down the list.

Consider the working holiday visa and come for a year or so and check out a few areas before moving full time would be my unsolicited advice. Vancouver offers the mountains and water you seek, as does Kamloups, but its expensive there and good jobs hard to land.
It is not just the boredom though, there are many reasons all put together. I do not like the people here, the weather is so dreary and it just feels like the country is going downhill as time goes on. That is why I want to get out whilst I have the money and not so many responsibilities! And at the end of the day, if I do ever get bored in Canada, the world is my oyster I can move again, not that it is exactly easy and cheap to do, but it can be done.

Vancouver I heard is very high with gun crime at the moment and couldn't possibly afford the rental prices over there to start with so not even looking at it really
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I know that is why I said it was one of the areas I would stay clear of. It's not all about beauty I need to be safe-ish!
Stay away from BC then, its pretty much a rubbish place.

And there's the drugs. Apart from a few BE members I've met, I usually socialize in rarified and exclusive company and even then most of the people are smoking drugs a lot. Think of the tv programme Shameless and multiply it by ten.

Last edited by Oink; Mar 4th 2013 at 2:30 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:38 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I just want a new life, I need to go somewhere where there are opportunities for my skills. I like the outdoor life, not interested in big cities and clubbing/shopping etc.

There's nothing to do or see here, Canada is beautiful and Calgary I know is near the Rockies so I thought about there. I just don't know what places are good in welcoming new comers.

Not thinking about family so really just a young couple hoping to start a new life together and have a stable career and go out in the fresh air and enjoy life.
What's a big city in your book? Where do you like in the UK? It's hard to suggest anywhere when you being so vague.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.