Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best place in Canada to move to?

Best place in Canada to move to?

Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

AbbieClements will become famous soon enoughAbbieClements will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best place in Canada to move to?

Originally Posted by Theoldfields
We had a similar wish list and chose the Okanagan; very close to the lake and less than an hour from the ski resorts. We don't move for another 3 months so too soon to say if we chose well! Good luck.
Haven't heard of Okanagan, so I will have a look now! Thank you for your reply. I hope it ticks off everything on the list for you and good luck with the move
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AbbieClements
It's a general question for general opinions. If you haven't got anything useful to say then don't say anything.
How to win friends and influence people. First lesson.

Anyway, it's a very specific question as well as being impossible to answer.

Since you've already come across a BE cliche, here's another one. Read the wiki on the blue bar at the top of the page.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 4th 2013 at 1:23 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:30 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that too but I have read a lot that it is not transferable, CIMA is more so but also have to think about the state of things in 3 years time. I am in discussions with a few Accounting firms over there and no one still really seems to know
I recommend that you call the actual designations themselves for information. I am not surprised that the Accounting Firms dont know, not everyone does know the transfer process, it depends how many people they personally know of that have transferred.

I called CMA NS for my information and they were great.
Also, something to keep in mind, they are merging. Soon I will be CMA-CA and CGA will be CGA-CA
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

AbbieClements will become famous soon enoughAbbieClements will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I recommend that you call the actual designations themselves for information. I am not surprised that the Accounting Firms dont know, not everyone does know the transfer process, it depends how many people they personally know of that have transferred.

I called CMA NS for my information and they were great.
Also, something to keep in mind, they are merging. Soon I will be CMA-CA and CGA will be CGA-CA
Okay I will do. Yeah I did read that that was happening. Thanks for your help and looks like you live in a great area from what I have been researching!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
How to win friends and influence people. First lesson.

Anyway, it's a very specific question as well as being impossible to answer.

Since you've already come across a BE cliche, here's another one. Read the wiki on the blue bar at the top of the page.
Not impossible to answer. Everyone has an opinion. I have been told the places to stay clear of and now thanks to helpful people I know some areas to look at.

Have been on Wiki, thanks.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

See the map here for BE posters "best places" to live in Canada. (to be taken with a pinch of salt given the number of posters in SK all of a sudden!)

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=505503

See also
http://www.moneysense.ca/2012/03/20/...-to-live-2012/
But bare in mind that their #1 place changes year after year...

My advice, based on "living the dream", the best place in Canada to initially move to is wherever you can get a job near your current level / expectations. Without a job you have no money and less social contact, and that can sour the dream pretty quickly.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 4th 2013 at 1:41 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:37 pm

salmonfella is an unknown quantity at this point

If i was you i would look into fort mcmurry
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not impossible to answer. Everyone has an opinion. I have been told the places to stay clear of and now thanks to helpful people I know some areas to look at.

Have been on Wiki, thanks.
Well jolly good then. Mission accomplished. Which are the areas to steer clear of?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:39 pm

Richmond Hill
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:40 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Well jolly good then. Mission accomplished. Which are the areas to steer clear of?
Nova Scotia judging by recent threads.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Newfoundland doesn't ever seem to fair well in any forums or discussions I have seen, nor does Nova Scotia. Many times i see BC is awful.

But I won't necessarily disregard these places as just like anywhere, everywhere has bad parts/points. Good to hear what people have to say though
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
See the map here for BE posters "best places" to live in Canada. (to be taken with a pinch of salt given the number of posters in SK all of a sudden!)

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=505503

See also
http://www.moneysense.ca/2012/03/20/...-to-live-2012/
But bare in mind that their #1 place changes year after year...

My advice, based on "living the dream", the best place in Canada to initially move to is wherever you can get a job near your current level / expectations. Without a job you have no money and less social contact, and that can sour the dream pretty quickly.
Thank you for the helpful links. I know that it is not going to be easy once I am there and I am prepared to do any work to have some income until I settle down in a job in which I can use my skills.

I have heard a lot of good things about Kingston and it is high on my list of places to visit when I go over next year. Thank you for your help.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by salmonfella
Richmond Hill
Looks gorgeous!!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:50 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Newfoundland doesn't ever seem to fair well in any forums or discussions I have seen, nor does Nova Scotia. Many times i see BC is awful.

But I won't necessarily disregard these places as just like anywhere, everywhere has bad parts/points. Good to hear what people have to say though
Wow that's the first time I've heard that blanket statement about arguably the most beautiful province in the country. It sound as though BC or ab are the places for you if you want mountains

Last edited by mandymoochops; Mar 4th 2013 at 1:52 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:54 pm

Is it more beautiful then red deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.