British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Best piece of advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/best-piece-advice-381689/)

Mans Jun 27th 2006 11:14 pm

Re: Best piece of advice

Originally Posted by Posidrive
This may just be an Alberta thing, but I get impression that it all depends upon the broker, how honest they are and how much they want your business. From my experience some will just think of news immigrants as a way of making a quick buck, whereas others will go the extra mile to get you the best deal in order to build a long term relationship. My history paperwork was not perfect but the deal we ended up getting for both family cars plus the home insurance ended up being less than some quotes for my car alone when I first arrived.

Shop around!!!

Will do.....looks like they saw me as an easy target :mad:

Adding to advice.....get a Nationwide Flexi account too...if you intend on leaving monies in the UK.

britishvixen21 Jun 28th 2006 10:41 am

I see everyone on here has replied in a practical sense so il give my emotional views.

Be open minded

Embrace the canadian way of life (you may say well duhh! but its easy to walk around the supermarket and buy as much english grub as you can find, and only want to watch english tv, or have english habits)

Dont get into the habit of converting everything you buy into pounds (itl drive you nuts)

Get to know your community introduce yourself to neighbours and make friends theres nothing like a bit of isolation in those first few months to make you want to pack up and leave.

If there are times when the poop is hitting the preverbial and your fed up, remember the joy and excitment you had when you finally got your visas and how full of hope and aspiration you were to come here and make a good life, and how hard you worked to get here in the first place. it will give you a little push to continue to work through the problems that you are facing.

utilise all the services that are offered to new canadians youd be amazed at how much you can actually get (i.e.) resume building, job searches, college courses.

and laslty have fun, your in a new country for crying out loud, be proud that you worked bloody hard, fought the system for so many years and finally did what millions think about doing but never do.

skigordi Jun 28th 2006 1:13 pm

This is probably the best advice any newcomer to a new country will get...excellent post!

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
I see everyone on here has replied in a practical sense so il give my emotional views.

Be open minded

Embrace the canadian way of life (you may say well duhh! but its easy to walk around the supermarket and buy as much english grub as you can find, and only want to watch english tv, or have english habits)

Dont get into the habit of converting everything you buy into pounds (itl drive you nuts)

Get to know your community introduce yourself to neighbours and make friends theres nothing like a bit of isolation in those first few months to make you want to pack up and leave.

If there are times when the poop is hitting the preverbial and your fed up, remember the joy and excitment you had when you finally got your visas and how full of hope and aspiration you were to come here and make a good life, and how hard you worked to get here in the first place. it will give you a little push to continue to work through the problems that you are facing.

utilise all the services that are offered to new canadians youd be amazed at how much you can actually get (i.e.) resume building, job searches, college courses.

and laslty have fun, your in a new country for crying out loud, be proud that you worked bloody hard, fought the system for so many years and finally did what millions think about doing but never do.