Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which is the best part of Canaada to immigrate with 3 kids ?

Which is the best part of Canaada to immigrate with 3 kids ?

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:30 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: Which is the best part of Canaada to immigrate with 3 kids ?

Originally Posted by Scotsman
OK Willmore,,here's a couple o'things an old Glaswegian wouldn't know
Don't drag me into this ....

I lived in Edinburgh for a while, never took to the place ... gie me Glesga any day Jimmy.

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Scotsman
OK Willmore,,here's a couple o'things an old Glaswegian wouldn't know,,(I'm writing proper now incase yer English)
I used to collect samples for the Bedford Institute of Oceanography in Dartmouth N.S.
I collected fish ear bones,(otoliths) and conducted morphologies on various types of fish.
And you're telling me this because..............?
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:47 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
And you're telling me this because..............?
You're a marine biologist ... doesn't all his talk about otoliths get you excited??

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
You're a marine biologist ... doesn't all his talk about otoliths get you excited??
I'm so......atweeter that I can hardly type. Fortunately for me fish bones, heads,etc. aren't my speciality.Had enough of cutting up and doing autopsy on fish at university. Give me anemones, seastars, chitons, barnacles,algae, etc. any day.......NOW I REALLY AM GETTING EXCITED....TIME TO GO BACK TO BOTANICAL BEACH!!!!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 4:17 pm
Glaswegian

I'm so......atweeter that I can hardly type. Fortunately for me fish bones, heads,etc. aren't my speciality.Had enough of cutting up and doing autopsy on fish at university. Give me anemones, seastars, chitons, barnacles,algae, etc. any day.......NOW I REALLY AM GETTING EXCITED....TIME TO GO BACK TO BOTANICAL BEACH!!!!!!
I remember long hours of learning to identify the age of rocks by the marine fossils ... looking at sea urchins and solitary corals still makes me twitch.

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I remember long hours of learning to identify the age of rocks by the marine fossils ... looking at sea urchins and solitary corals still makes me twitch.
For someone who shows "contempt" towards biologists and in particular one marine biologist......why were you taking these biology and marine biology courses - easy electives?
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 7:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

For someone who shows "contempt" towards biologists and in particular one marine biologist......why were you taking these biology and marine biology courses - easy electives?
Perhaps taking the courses is the cause of this contempt??? I cant say Id noticed any contempt myself though.
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Karate Kev
Hi CalgaryAMC.
I feel all dejected now..... i didn't realize i'd been "droning on" about Calgary! I thought i'd just been giving my opinion!
If, indeed, i have been droning on about our prospective settling area too much, maybe it's something to do with the fact that me and mine are still stuck in England, when i'd much much much rather be over there starting our new life.
I think about Canada every day - and i mean - every day, even if it's only a fleeting thought. I'm excited by the prospect of succeeding in what we're actually doing - even though there's a 14 to 16 month waiting list from where we are now!
But for you, CalgaryAMC, and anyone else out there who i'm boring the hell out of - i apologise.
Take care y'all,

Kev.
I didn't mean you droning on, I meant what would be the point of *me* droning on about Calgary.

These "what's the best place in Canada" questions don't have a single answer. The answer is different for everyone, if there is an answer at all. So, what I meant was, there's no point me droning on about Calgary as though it's the best place to live, because there is no best place to live. So I am not going to recommend anywhere, except Inuvik.

Hope that clarified. I don't think anyone is droning!

Glaswegian is right; I am homesick for Calgary - which should say something about how good Calgary is.
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 2:16 am
Glaswegian

I'm actually a biologist ... my major is a biological science ... I taught and studied stats because it was key to my main bilogical subject ... I took a year of geology because I considered majoring in it ... everything else I did at university was chemical or biological.

I have no contempt whatsoever for biologists ... I'm simply in IT because it pays a lot more

If I'd been planning to emigrate in my student years (1981 to 85) I might have taken different subjects ... but way back then, Blair wasn't even on the horizon.

Old Oct 3rd 2004, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm actually a biologist ... my major is a biological science ... I taught and studied stats because it was key to my main bilogical subject ... I took a year of geology because I considered majoring in it ... everything else I did at university was chemical or biological.

I have no contempt whatsoever for biologists ... I'm simply in IT because it pays a lot more

If I'd been planning to emigrate in my student years (1981 to 85) I might have taken different subjects ... but way back then, Blair wasn't even on the horizon.
Another joke that bombed big time.....but I did learn something - didn't know that you were a biologist in your former life.......explains how you are so knowledgeable about the field.

Thank goodness stats was justa small part of my required course load....
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Exited? I was thinking of other things that certainly would exite Willmore! And fish have gt nothing to do with these other things.
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Karate Kev will become famous soon enoughKarate Kev will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
I didn't mean you droning on, I meant what would be the point of *me* droning on about Calgary.

These "what's the best place in Canada" questions don't have a single answer. The answer is different for everyone, if there is an answer at all. So, what I meant was, there's no point me droning on about Calgary as though it's the best place to live, because there is no best place to live. So I am not going to recommend anywhere, except Inuvik.

Hope that clarified. I don't think anyone is droning!

Glaswegian is right; I am homesick for Calgary - which should say something about how good Calgary is.

In that case Calgary AMC, i apologise for getting the wrong end of the stick. Mind you, i do tend to "drone on" about things i'm excited about - no doubt that's why i jumped to that conclusion.

And i love it when other people drone on about Calgary - it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, and re-affirmes why we've chosen Calgary as our new home town (if we're successful with our application, that is).

So if you, or anyone else wants to drone on about Calgary, please feel free to do so. Speak to you soon, CalgaryAMC.
Take care y'all,

Kev.
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

Any of you guys got any experience of Chilliwack? Is it one of these little sleepy places with no life to it? Is the weather in Vancouver better than Chilliwack?
Reason i am asking is that the job offer i had in Ontario ( Barrie ) fell through and i have had another offer from the west coast which seems to be easier to get into with the pnp program that Ontario isnt a part of. I am tempted to take the job there and stay for a few months to see if i like it. If i dont i can go back to TO area again by getting my trade red seal approved. The more i have been reading about the west coast though, the more appealing it sounds. My dads friend from Glasgow stays in Chilliwack (a builder there) and has a lot of contacts and also my friend in Grimbsby Ont's brother stays in Van and says he would never move back to Ontario.
Guess i will be heading over this winter to see what life in Vancouver area is like so any suggestions of places to look at would be good.
I have an 18 and 16 year old coming with us too so really looking for somewhere that has a fair amount of young people but coming from a town on the outskirts of Glasgow, i dont like it too noisy. I like a kind of close community feel. Does Chilliwack or anywhere else fit that kind of bill?

I am a plumber and gas fitter here so i think that getting that kind of job wont be the end of the world where ever i go. Though one of the kids would like to get into something in web design etc.

Allan
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Toontje
Exited? I was thinking of other things that certainly would exite Willmore! And fish have gt nothing to do with these other things.
Some days the most excitement I get is through my all my little creatures living in tidal pools....really sad isn't it.......think my husband needs to get home soon.......
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[/QUOTE]
That's very true......my husband who is an enviromental engineer (use to be a wildlife biologist) and myself will never be millionaires.....although we do get paid well for some consulting jobs...mostly overseas....even though we both have 2 degrees.........

But you IT guys are way, way, way overpaid.......when I first heard what my MAC guy makes for consulting jobs...I nearly fell over.

What did Blair have to do with your decision about your career - 1981 I was 6 years old......just a babe in the woods........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.