British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Which is the best part of Canaada to immigrate with 3 kids ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/best-part-canaada-immigrate-3-kids-256499/)

CalgaryAMC Sep 28th 2004 2:53 am

Re: Which is the best part of Canaada to immigrate with 3 kids ?

I think you'll be safe in Kelowna, unless this tidal wave will overcome the Coastal Range and progress hundreds of miles inland.

Spongebob Sep 28th 2004 3:16 am

Originally Posted by willmore
Now that's really true.......and the experts say we are long overdue......maybe we should all start migrating east now......

They say if we ever do get a tidal wave then it will hit the west coast first and leave the east coast alone. Thats what I read somehere.

joggerjo Sep 28th 2004 4:19 am

If the experts are correct and Vancouver Island does get a 9.5 earthquake...I don't know how safe you're really going to be in Kelowna...although a heck of alot saver than on Vancouver Island....... :D

Tut, tut, Willmore being from Canada and in particular BC you should know that the Kelowna is not in the South Okanagan it is in the central Okanagan!!!

JJ

SteveHarris Sep 28th 2004 5:33 am

Hi there,

Had to aks what the 'disadisadvantages of the island are the weather lots of rain' are. The weather here is amazing. Moved the Vcitoria 3 years ago from South Wales and found the sumers hot and long and the winters short. Want a cold weather fix - we get ours at Mt Washington before heading back to Victoria for milder weather.

On another subject - I think people asking questions like this thread are doing the right thing. I remember the difficult decision of deciding where to move - especially when you have kids in tow (our two were 3 when we moved).

Anway - good luck with whatever choice you make.

Cheers - Steve

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
You have talked Vancouver Island up a lot and it was are first chosen destination but we have now decided to move to South Okanagan some of the disadvantages of the island are the weather lots of rain and also its on earth quake line. But really you have to travel and spend some time at your chosen places as we are all looking for different things from are chosen destinations and its such a big country.

Glaswegian Sep 28th 2004 5:44 am

Originally Posted by SteveHarris
On another subject - I think people asking questions like this thread are doing the right thing. I remember the difficult decision of deciding where to move - especially when you have kids in tow (our two were 3 when we moved).

I think they are too - it's just that the longer you hang around on this forum the more a sense of deja vu you get.

iaink Sep 28th 2004 12:49 pm

People asking this question would be better advised to search the archive for the dozens of times its been asked and not answered before. I'm with Glas on this one, the longer you've been posting here, the more sense of Deja Vu there is, but noone is holding a gun to our head forcing us to reply. Maybe its time to get a way from here for a bit.

Iain

Rhodes Sep 28th 2004 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Maybe its time to get a way from here for a bit.

But it wouldn't be the same without you or Glaswegian. And willmore needs a sparring partner.

Toontje Sep 28th 2004 1:02 pm

Iain was only referring to the repeating question: where to live......
(I think)

iaink Sep 28th 2004 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Toontje
Iain was only referring to the repeating question: where to live......
(I think)

And all the other repeated questions;) Just getting the blahs, thats all. OMG, maybe I'm missing sparring with SP! :scared:

joggerjo Sep 28th 2004 2:17 pm

[QUOTE=SteveHarris]Hi there,

Had to aks what the 'disadisadvantages of the island are the weather lots of rain' are. The weather here is amazing. Moved the Vcitoria 3 years ago from South Wales and found the sumers hot and long and the winters short. Want a cold weather fix - we get ours at Mt Washington before heading back to Victoria for milder weather.

/QUOTE]

Hi

Maybe the weather comment was in comparison to the Okanagan? I know I choose here for the weather, the rest of it was going to be tough anyway so why not do it in some sunshine!!!!!

JJ

MikeUK Sep 28th 2004 2:40 pm

Hi there,

Had to aks what the 'disadisadvantages of the island are the weather lots of rain' are. The weather here is amazing. Moved the Vcitoria 3 years ago from South Wales and found the sumers hot and long and the winters short. ..................Cheers - Steve

You can't really comment you came from South Wales one of the few places in the world wetter than Vancouver....

did 7 years in cardiff

willmore Sep 28th 2004 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by joggerjo
Tut, tut, Willmore being from Canada and in particular BC you should know that the Kelowna is not in the South Okanagan it is in the central Okanagan!!!

JJ

I don't remember saying that Kelowna is in the south Okanagan.....but then again if and when a 9.5 or higher hits the west coast.....I don't think it's really going to matter where Kelowna is.......if the tidal doesn't get you......you will certainly feel the force of the earthquake. :D

willmore Sep 28th 2004 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Rhodes
But it wouldn't be the same without you or Glaswegian. And willmore needs a sparring partner.

That's right......the other 2 "masters'" of sparring.......otherwise I'd have to start sparring with you....and everyone knows what a gentlemen you are........ :D

Toontje Sep 28th 2004 4:56 pm

That's right......the other 2 "masters'" of sparring.......otherwise I'd have to start sparring with you....and everyone knows what a gentlemen you are........ :D

Well..... His name WAS mentioned in the smart-ass poll.....

swoops Sep 28th 2004 6:24 pm

:) cheers for your great post full of information and facts that will help people in our situation begin to gather a clearer picture of certain areas.
There seem to be alot of posts here that apear to be aggravated by our question :mad: .
Its merely a starting block and any ex-pat will have mulled over the same questions prior to making any life changing decisions we are very gratefull to those who given much needed information so far
Thanks again :) Vicki

Originally Posted by Duncan_BC
I think that Vancouver Island should be a serious choice
for many people who fit the original criteria: a good place
to raise 3 children. I'll start by admitting some bias in that
I have lived on the island in Duncan for nearly 30 years. I
have raised 2 children here.
Duncan is similar to some other communities on Vancouver
Island, but has some distinct advantages. This city is
between Victoria and Nanaimo. A resident here can choose
to work locally or in one of the other nearby cities. House
prices here are $100K, (44K pounds), less than Victoria.
Commute time from here to Victoria or Nanaimo is about an
hour to 1.5. I work from home and go to Victoria a few times
a month. I used to travel for work in Seattle, Washington.
I would leave my house at 7:30am and be at my Seattle
desk at 10:00am, via float plane. Trips to Vancouver take
about the same amount of time.
Good jobs in the cities pay about $30K-60K. Consulting jobs
are $70K-120K or more. The provincial government hires
many people who live in Duncan.
The local employment scene has definitely improved lately.
Most local jobs tend to be fairly low paying at $8 - 10 per
hour. There is room for more small businesses. It is easy to
operate a business from your home or commercial leases are
relatively inexpensive.
There are quite a number of schools in Duncan, both public and
private. There are no troubles with violence, generally, but there
are pressures of drugs, etc, in some places. My children went
to the Francis Kelsey high school. That school has a self-paced
learning system with less emphasis on enrolled grade. As a result,
the students know many more students in grades 9-12. Bullying
is unknown, arts and academics are emphasised, although shop
classes are few. The other high school has the bulk of the shop
and industrial training.
Duncan's weather is quite moderate. It rarely goes below 0C or
above 25C. It can go to -10C and the low record is about -20C.
The highs are sometimes near 30C with about 33C being the
high record. We don't get high humidity with the heat so the
hot temperatures are quite liveable. We don't get very much
snow, lightning is very rare, no tornadoes nor hurricanes. We
do get some violent storms with heavy rain and high winds a
couple of times each winter.
There is a lot more that I can say about the Duncan area. If you
are interested, feel free to ask me offline.
Good luck with your move to Canada, where ever you go!
VR