Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which is the best flight to take to arrive in Canada?

Which is the best flight to take to arrive in Canada?

Old Aug 17th 2016, 1:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which is the best flight to take to arrive in Canada?

See this thread, post 112
Old Aug 17th 2016, 10:29 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unique at last View Post
I've found Westjet to be cheaper on a one-way ticket and Air Canada far too expensive one way but if I put in a return flight in November, then I can get an Air Canada flight for approx £500pp. Today, I've searched using cheapflights.co.uk and London to Halifax on 29th Aug (return 23rd Nov) is £478 pp.

Ideally I'd like to save money - I'm a skin flint and as a PP mentioned, £600 is approx $1000 and our rent is $900pcm! However, I am nervous about having to go through immigration in a short time frame. I can suck up smaller seats etc but I'd feel more confident if I could be sure that I could class Halifax as my point of entry and do all the immigration stuff there. I've never taken a non-direct flight before which I suppose is increasing my nervousness.

Thank you again for all your responses.
Buy the AC direct return ticket to Halifax. Play about with return dates anywhere in the future to find cheapest price combination. Then just don't use the return portion of the ticket.

You get your direct flight at a reasonable cost.

Problem solved!
Old Aug 17th 2016, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

unique at last is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for all your advice.

I've booked the tickets today - direct to Halifax with Air Canada. I played about with return flights and got them for £507 each. I'm happy with that as it was the cheapest when looking at a couple of days after too.

We exchanged on our house today so it's all systems go! Canada here we come!
Old Aug 17th 2016, 11:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...all systems go! Canada here we come!
F-A-B
Old Aug 18th 2016, 12:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I've booked the tickets today - direct to Halifax with Air Canada. I played about with return flights and got them for £507 each. I'm happy with that as it was the cheapest when looking at a couple of days after too.

Old Aug 18th 2016, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I've booked the tickets today - direct to Halifax with Air Canada.

it's all systems go! Canada here we come!
well done
Old Aug 19th 2016, 8:44 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on both counts!

That's a pretty good price for tickets. With two offspring in tow (even if, at 8 and 12, they're presumably semi-civilised!) I think you've made the sensible choice booking a direct flight. When I've travelled with mine (most recent flight with all three I think they were 4, 7 and 10) the most important consideration was finding the least opportunity for things going wrong, much more than saving a few pennies - although for 600 quid I'd have been looking very hard at the options!

Years ago on occasional trips between London and Montreal it was sometimes significantly cheaper to take the Eurostar to Paris and then Air France from CDG to Montreal, often quite a difference to the prices from LHR. One time I even flew Canada3000 from LGW to Mirabel, but that was an experience I'm glad I didn't have an opportunity to repeat before the airline went bust. But I wouldn't have considered transferring wither through Paris or Dublin with children and a household's worth of luggage.