Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

best credit card

best credit card

Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice
Default Re: best credit card

Suit yourself Ducky
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

StefkeUK is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
If you have a UK Amex they will transferee you to the equivalent Canadian amex when you move at same credit limit.
Costco Amex cash back a good card no annual fees and you can earn upto 3% plus Costco rebate

http://www.americanexpress.com/canad...TV=costco_site
I'm not sure the uk amex one can be transferred automaticaly. i had one, I did try and It did not work. no credit history at the time so ...
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Square is an unknown quantity at this point

We had an MBNA card in the uk. We got a card through Shoppers Drugs Mart who are affiliated with MBNA. No money down and $1500 credit limit to start. Contact your UK credit card provider and see who they are affiliated with in Canada and see if there is anything they can do for you. Good Luck
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=StefkeUK;8919274]I'm not sure the uk amex one can be transferred automaticaly. i had one, I did try and It did not work. no credit history at the time so ...[/QUOTE

They transfered mine no problem, i never had any credit history in Canada although this was 4 1/2 years ago

https://www.americanexpress.com/glob...nsfer_en.shtml

Process takes 3-4 weeks.
You may only transfer one Card to Canada, until you have established a Canadian credit history.
• We may request documents for ID purposes and address verification.
• Membership Rewards® points can be transferred to your new Card if it is enrolled in the Membership Rewards program.
Otherwise, please redeem your points before you cancel your existing Card.
• If you wish to keep your existing Card, you will continue to be billed any annual fees you are currently paying.
• To be eligible for a Card transfer, your Consumer Card (includes Small Business, where applicable) must be issued by
American Express. You must be the Basic Cardholder, and have held the Card for at least 3 months. Your Card Account
must be open and in good standing at the time of the transfer request, or if the Card was previously cancelled by you,
it must have been cancelled within the last 3 months. (Corporate Cards, International Dollar Cards and Global Network
Cards are not eligible for Card transfers)
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:08 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

We've managed, through HSBC, to organise a current account, debit card, credit card and line of credit (overdraft) while still in the UK. While this is not necessarily the best long term solution, it means when we "land" next week, we'll be able to start building a credit history from day one. I'm sure once we're in Canada permanently, there will be more convenient options, but for the time being this seems the most sensible start for us.

Regards

Conal
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice

Cheers everyone for your input .Given me some good ideas, might just go Conal,s way it seems pretty convenient to get banking, credit card, line of credit all in one place at the same time. Thanks again for all your advice.SUPERB FORUM.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 2:15 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

How does credit history get built in Canada? I have had a Canadian HSBC Mastercard since before I got here, but when I applied for an AMEX after about 12 months of being here, I got turned down. So I can only assume that I'm not building any kind of history here yet still....
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
How does credit history get built in Canada? I have had a Canadian HSBC Mastercard since before I got here, but when I applied for an AMEX after about 12 months of being here, I got turned down. So I can only assume that I'm not building any kind of history here yet still....
Some of the tips that apply to a bankrupt person trying to rebuild credit, I believe are applicable to an Expat trying to build their credit here. Certainly lots of info on the web with regard to rebuilding/building credit in Canada

Anyway, you have a Canadian credit card (either secured or unsecured) so if you are making the payments...then that is certainly helping to build your profile, albeit slowly. So perhaps that by itself is not enough.

One good way of helping the situation is an RRSP loan if you can afford to do so. The banks will likely be more happy to loan you this kind of loan given that they will secure it with the actual deposit you make.

Pay the loan off as quick as you like, even use some of the tax refund. As far as the credit reporting agencies are concerned a loan is a loan...and you will be building credit if things are in order.

Its the payments that count....
Old Oct 15th 2010, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by big ron
Cheers everyone for your input .Given me some good ideas, might just go Conal,s way it seems pretty convenient to get banking, credit card, line of credit all in one place at the same time. Thanks again for all your advice.SUPERB FORUM.
Heres a very good thread from a money blog in Canada about the best cash back credit cards in Canada.

http://www.milliondollarjourney.com/...-in-canada.htm

Check the comments section for further ideas.

Personally anything that gives you 1% back or more is a good deal. But as a starter card you pretty much get what you can for the first year then look to improve terms later.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 12:03 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
Some of the tips that apply to a bankrupt person trying to rebuild credit, I believe are applicable to an Expat trying to build their credit here. Certainly lots of info on the web with regard to rebuilding/building credit in Canada

Anyway, you have a Canadian credit card (either secured or unsecured) so if you are making the payments...then that is certainly helping to build your profile, albeit slowly. So perhaps that by itself is not enough.

One good way of helping the situation is an RRSP loan if you can afford to do so. The banks will likely be more happy to loan you this kind of loan given that they will secure it with the actual deposit you make.

Pay the loan off as quick as you like, even use some of the tax refund. As far as the credit reporting agencies are concerned a loan is a loan...and you will be building credit if things are in order.

Its the payments that count....
Hmmm, I always make the full payment each month, I never run a balance (don't need to), perhaps that is why - I'm never actually borrowing anything other than for 30 days or whatever it is.

I hadn't heard of an RRSP loan, just looked it up. Might be an option, i will have some contribution room this year and I am looking to reduce my tax liability anyway due to my UK house rental income...