British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Best Company to use to ship items from the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/best-company-use-ship-items-uk-869713/)

PAULandSAMANTHA Dec 28th 2015 2:40 pm

Best Company to use to ship items from the UK

Hi, we are moving to the Niagara Region, Canada in March and I want to ship over boxes of clothes and toys etc along with a few small appliances like a Hoover/steam mop, kids bike and scooter etc. Can anyone recommend anyone good??? Thank you :-)

Snowy560 Dec 28th 2015 4:02 pm

Re: Best Company to use to ship items from the UK

I shipped over a lot of boxes (no furniture) with Anglo Pacific.

We shipped several more earlier this year.

They were very good, in my opinion, both times, but I don't how they compare with other companies people have used.

! International Shipping Company | International Removals | Overseas Movers Anglo Pacific Plc

S

PS: not sure about the hoover though or any electrical stuff. In my experience, UK appliances don't work very well. Just buy new ones.

Siouxie Dec 28th 2015 4:17 pm

Regarding the hoover etc., unless you are going to use a transformer/converter they likely won't work very well. UK uses 220 and Canada uses 110.

Compatability of Goods-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Depending on the amount you are bringing, if it's just a few boxes have you considered Air Transat Cargo? Their prices are pretty good and you can collect the items from the airport yourself (provided you have transport).

Don't forget your Goods Accompanying and Goods to Follow lists!
Category:Moving Logistics-Canada : British Expat Wiki

:)

Piff Poff Dec 28th 2015 8:32 pm

Yeah I wouldn't bother with electrical stuff. We moved so long ago our info would be out of date but it was quite nighmareish at the time lol

Snowy560 Dec 28th 2015 10:33 pm

Yes, the hairdryer works at 50% speed. It took me years to buy a new one (for $10 at Walmart, don't know why I waited!); the shredder barely did anything.

S

PAULandSAMANTHA Dec 30th 2015 11:35 pm

Thank you for all your help!

Eddmac Jan 4th 2016 2:45 am

Whatever you do, for the love of God don't use Pearsons.

J-A-UK Jan 5th 2016 7:25 pm

I "Did it myself" - I used a wooden crate salvaged from a local industrial park boxed up my goodies and packed it tight - I shipped 3 crates approx 5' long and 2'6" square not too sure of the weight (it was a factor in pricing)

I delivered the crates to the SHE Maritime Barking depot and they held them until I had an address in Canada to ship them too.

Once shipped it took several weeks to get the call from a receiver in Winnipeg and I contracted a local haulage company to pick them up and deliver to my new home - A very painless operation and a total cost of around 500 GBP

SHE Maritime

Maplease Jan 6th 2016 12:11 am

I wouldn't recommend PSS. I genuinely feel they fleeced us. Charged us for a lot extra because their estimators don't understand how the packers work. Just my opinion. Good luck.

kirstyp Jan 19th 2016 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by PAULandSAMANTHA (Post 11822551)
Hi, we are moving to the Niagara Region, Canada in March and I want to ship over boxes of clothes and toys etc along with a few small appliances like a Hoover/steam mop, kids bike and scooter etc. Can anyone recommend anyone good??? Thank you :-)

This thread might help, it's a guide to finding and choosing a reputable mover including where to look, what to look out for, how to compare quotes etc. http://britishexpats.com/forum/overs...ompany-851592/

Hope it helps?

If you're not moving much (any?) furniture then you'll probably be best looking at a shared load (aka groupage) shipment, or air if you're in a hurry.

bert07 Jan 21st 2016 10:28 pm

Our company used Irish relo.....they came to the house and packed their lorry, drove to Liverpool and got the boat to Belfast, loaded our stuff into a container and got the boat back to Liverpool before getting the boat from Liverpool to Montreal and then the train to Edmonton. Somewhere in all of this it also missed the Liverpool to Montreal boat so was delayed by a week.

Stuff arrived well packed and we only lost one pint glass. Just the bizarrest of logic regarding routes!

Eddmac Jan 21st 2016 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by bert07 (Post 11844570)
Our company used Irish relo.....they came to the house and packed their lorry, drove to Liverpool and got the boat to Belfast, loaded our stuff into a container and got the boat back to Liverpool before getting the boat from Liverpool to Montreal and then the train to Edmonton. Somewhere in all of this it also missed the Liverpool to Montreal boat so was delayed by a week.

Stuff arrived well packed and we only lost one pint glass. Just the bizarrest of logic regarding routes!

You think that was bizarre?
My container went the following route;
Belfast to London, London to Hamburg, Hamburg to Columbia, Columbia to Mexico, Mexico to Seattle, Seattle back to Mexico, Mexico to Vancouver and then finally to my house.
Was supposed to arrive in September, finally arrived in November. Almost every item in our container was damaged and we had to fight with the shipping company to get any cash out of them. They refused to honour our extended insurance coverage and refunded our premium and said we hadn't completed a form correctly and only paid out on their absolute minimum insurance - pack of thieving bastards to be honest. I can't recommend highly enough that everyone avoid Pearson's like the plague.

happyhammers Jan 21st 2016 11:19 pm

We used PSS and never had a problem, but as another member mentioned they had a problems with them, luck of the draw with any company you use.

bert07 Jan 21st 2016 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Eddmac (Post 11844574)
You think that was bizarre?
My container went the following route;
Belfast to London, London to Hamburg, Hamburg to Columbia, Columbia to Mexico, Mexico to Seattle, Seattle back to Mexico, Mexico to Vancouver and then finally to my house.
Was supposed to arrive in September, finally arrived in November. Almost every item in our container was damaged and we had to fight with the shipping company to get any cash out of them. They refused to honour our extended insurance coverage and refunded our premium and said we hadn't completed a form correctly and only paid out on their absolute minimum insurance - pack of thieving bastards to be honest. I can't recommend highly enough that everyone avoid Pearson's like the plague.

You win!!