Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

best city to raise a family?

best city to raise a family?

Old Oct 17th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough
Default Re: best city to raise a family?

Here's again our yaddy-yadda BE ladies:

Old Oct 17th 2010, 1:37 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
I am assuming that Mandymoochops was talking about your ego when she said you have a huge one
That's between Moo and me - a gentleman never tells
Old Oct 17th 2010, 2:11 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
That's between Moo and me - a gentleman never tells
The man oozes class.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 2:30 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
The man oozes class.
With a thingy that big, does one want to know what he oozes?
Old Oct 17th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tangram
The man oozes class.
This is what happened between Moo and the classy gentleman:

Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That looks like Prince Charles.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 5:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary always rates quite highly on the family scale although I'm never quite sure why because the main thing that people always seem to moan about on the local news is (a) lack of daycare places; (b) lack of rec centres; (c) schools overcrowded and/or being bussed to schools that are far away.

Okotoks, Chestermere and Airdrie make more sense I think. Everyone always seems to be saying the schools in Chestermere are the best but then again they should be as it's the "posh" suburb.

Lethbridge or High River maybe?

All depends on what you're doing for a living.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Spoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by scirish
Rich, you <snip>, I am not asking someone else to determine mine and my childrens future, simply well informed people their opinion.

We are hoping to rent a reasonable sized family home, though again this is dictated by rent over there, hence opinions needed i.e. calgary is/is not over priced.

I don't see see how our ethnicity comes into it at all???

I think peoples opinions on school systems etc are a lot more important than our shopping habits - trust me paris hilton i ain't. So take the weight of your shoulders I am looking constructive advice nothing more!

to the person who said people come here to vent phew! you were right!
thanks all who took the time to reply,
scirish
We chose a place called the Sunshine Coast in BC. Frankly we could'nt afford Vancouver itself. Initially, we wanted a climate without the extremes, so West Coast, BC. Our decision was based on what we could afford, the local community, schools for our kids, Access to a big City. Weather. Finding Work. I'd put finding work and affordability at the top of my list. Being broke is no fun.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:06 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spoons1961
We chose a place called the Sunshine Coast in BC. Frankly we could'nt afford Vancouver itself. Initially, we wanted a climate without the extremes, so West Coast, BC. Our decision was based on what we could afford, the local community, schools for our kids, Access to a big City. Weather. Finding Work. I'd put finding work and affordability at the top of my list. Being broke is no fun.
My friend just bought a place in half moon bay and has a place for his boat. I was surprised how cheap the property was there ( in comparison to Vancouver).

How do you find it living there?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Spoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Calgary is a great place for kids.

I have three - all in what would be primary school in England. They all love their teachers and have good friends among their classmates.

My daughter goes to an all girls school that focuses on science and math(s). It costs us nothing extra.

In summer we use the community lake a lot - almost every day, for swimming, kayaking, fishing and bbqs. In winter we use it's hill for tobogganing, and the lake and arena for skating.

40 minutes from our house is a beautiful area (bordering on Kakanaskis and then Banff) with great camping.

I ride my motorbike a lot and there's lots of great on and off road trips for me.

Our neighbours are friendly. The city is clean, and there's a huge park slicing through Calgary.

We have season passes at the zoo and Heritage Park, and take the kids to the Glenbow Art gallery too.

There's a couple of World Heritage sites a couple of hours drive away - Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump, and Drumheller.

There's skiing fairly close by - Canada Olympic Park, and Wintergreen in Bragg Creek. There's world class skiing 2 hours away door to door.

However the world class museums and art galleries of London are not here. Neither is St. Martin in the Fields or other cultural centres. The local Symphony Orchestra is fine though, and Calgary hosts 4 major operas a year. There's also the Banff Fine Arts Centre.

However I lived in London for four years, and though I went to many plays, shows, movies and galleries never once felt at home there.

There's no huge football scene and no-none will know who the heck Jonathon Ross is, but you know - we survive!

There's pubs which flood with Brits on big game days and you can get Brit TV over the internet.

To get on here, chill, loosen a few buttons, lose the socks with sandals look, and be prepared to be taken at face value.

No-one will care about your accent, or what car you drive.

Some people find Canadians unsophisticated and naive. Not true. There's many well educated, broad minded, well travelled Canucks: but they might be wearing a plaid shirt when you meet them.

You'll find kids activities highly organized and diverse.

We survive the winters and enjoy what summer we can.

Canadians make a big deal of days like Thanksgiving and Halloween. You don't have to. Find some Brits and celebrate bonfire night instead if you want.

Finally the world's a beautiful and enormous place - bigger than the UK and Canada combined! So while you are over there experience as much as you can with the kids, and when you are here get stuck in!

Enjoy the adventure.
Brilliant
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
My friend just bought a place in half moon bay and has a place for his boat. I was surprised how cheap the property was there ( in comparison to Vancouver).

How do you find it living there?
We have friends in Gibsons and they love it. You're right about the property too. Great prices when compared to Vancouver. Plus it's not that long a ferry journey to Horseshoe Bay from Langdale if you fancy a day in the city.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Calgary Realtor is just really niceCalgary Realtor is just really niceCalgary Realtor is just really niceCalgary Realtor is just really niceCalgary Realtor is just really niceCalgary Realtor is just really niceCalgary Realtor is just really niceCalgary Realtor is just really nice

Originally Posted by scirish
Hi, just joined the boards today was looking at the calgary post, all seems very negative! surely its not all that bad? from what had heard it was a beautiful scenic city and not as expensive as vancover.
Anway you lot are the experts so advise pls! what canadian city would you reccommend would be best to raise a family - we have four kids and are thinking of moving from Ireland, so obviously schools, recreational facilites etc. would all feature heavily, any advice greatly appreciated!
Well I am biased I have lived in Calgary most of my life and love the city. I have gone to other places in Canada but I like Calgary the best and still choose it for our home.

Calgary has a lower crime rate than some of the bigger cities and if you chosse the right neighborhood the options are endless. Take Calgary's west side as an example (west hills areas) they offer a ton of family activities, eveerything imaginable, and some of the best provate schools if you were to so choose. I live in Aspen Woods and it is one of the safest communities in Calgary. see <snip> for detailed information on this community as well as schools etc.
An average home would rent for about $2500 to $4500 dependant on the size etc.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 21st 2010 at 6:42 pm. Reason: Pls re-read the site rules re: advertising
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Being from Ireland I would think Atlanctic Canada may suit the OP nicely. Moncton or Fredericton are great places with everything you could want (ok nearly everything - no football team ) There are lots of nice places throughout the region.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

MrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really nice

Originally Posted by Spoons1961
@ Above That area is utopia for living, but not so much for finding work, I would imagine (at least not in my field it's not). Otherwise I'd be there in a shot.

You will find more jobs in larger urban areas, unless your skills suit rural places. Rural in Canada can get REALLY rural, so your opportunities can be very limited and you can't just commute to the next town for work 'cause that might be 4 hours away.

I will be picking my location based on the outdoor activities I do, which rules out Ontario pretty much, for example. And Saskatchewan. You have to decide what you want to do with your weekends.

Other than that, A good location has everything to do with the neighbourhood and nothing to do with the city.

Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
How can someone else really determine what's best for your family?

Too many unknown factors.....weather likes/dislikes, job prospects, what type of recreation you like, cost of living, equity you have, ethnicity, shopping habits etc etc etc.

I would agree with this...

We are a family of 6 - 2 adults, 4 kids aged between 12 and 6 yrs old (all girls as well! - I pity poor Mr Chookie in a couple of years because he is going to be awash in a sea of hormones!)

REally the best place to raise your kids will be determined on what your family is like and what they like to do in their spare time.

For us, that is in the suburbs of a city - close enough to the center to be able to get there easily, but far out enough taht there are loads of other families with kids so that our kids have plenty of friends to play with. Good schools were a bonus, good transport systems were a bonus...

We ended up in Calgary in the far NW - just of center street so we have good transport downtown (the BRT/301 and the 142 go downtown, the 114 goes partway)...

the kids get the school bus, the schools they go to are good (one is a "normal elementary" for the younger 2 kids, the older 2 go to one of the arts based learning ones - Sir John Franklin (that is the one that serves the entire north of the city) and they are blooming! It is easy for Mr Chookie to get to work because of the good transport, we are just of Deerfoot and stoney trail, so easy to get to other parts of the city, we are just down the road from the massage therapy school that I am going to ... all good points for us living in this area of Calgary as far as I am concerned!

The area we live in has loads of other kids and families - a real multicultural mix - the kids my girls play with range from Jamaican, Chinese, Indian, Spanish, Argentinian.... you name it! I frequently "loose" my kids to other peoples houses and just as frequently my house and my garden is filled with assorted OPK's (Other Peoples Kids)...

If we lived outside the city, things would be very different however - we would be constantly ferrying the kids around to places (and I don't know about you, but I don't want to be a constant taxi service to my kids!) There would be fewer people for them to play with, fewer people for me to interract with, we would have further to travel to work/school etc....

For us, living in the burbs of a big city suits us just fine at the present time...