Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Catholic Schools in SW Calgary

Best Catholic Schools in SW Calgary

Old Nov 9th 2011, 3:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Catholic Schools in SW Calgary

Originally Posted by bgroe
It has nothing to do with religion. In fact, I read a thread this morning where someone was asking about good areas to live in Fort McMurray. The first response was "Edmonton". How is that helpful? Why bother answering if you don't know?
That response made perfect sense to me, I suspect you may have missed the point of it though. The OP of that thread was asking about the best place for a family to live in Fort Mc. As pretty much nobody would recommend Fort Mc for a family, and those that do have families tend to live in Edmonton and commute to work, that was why the answer 'Edmonton' was given.

BTW, we haven't received any report from you, just so you know. Although as RICH has said, we wouldn't take any action as nothing on that post breaks site rules.

All we can do is try and urge people to get the thread back on track rather than the OP's original question becoming lost amid the religious opinions.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 3:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
"Hello Supply Depot.... yes I'd like to order one consignment of thicker skin please ASAP"
The Canadian branch has been out of stock for years.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tangram
"Hello Supply Depot.... yes I'd like to order one consignment of thicker skin please ASAP"
Really, it has nothing to do with hurt feelings or touching a nerve it's just frustration in general.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That response made perfect sense to me, I suspect you may have missed the point of it though. The OP of that thread was asking about the best place for a family to live in Fort Mc. As pretty much nobody would recommend Fort Mc for a family, and those that do have families tend to live in Edmonton and commute to work, that was why the answer 'Edmonton' was given.

You see, I looked at that from the OP's point of view - maybe as someone who hasn't been on the forums very much. I think a more appropriate answer might have been, "I know a lot of families on this forum who live in Edmonton and commute to Fort Mac. Have you thought of this or have you decided you want to be together everyday no matter what the living conditions are?"

BTW, we haven't received any report from you, just so you know. Although as RICH has said, we wouldn't take any action as nothing on that post breaks site rules.

I didn't report anything because I don't think the "rules" have been broken either. But, in my opinion, I think the moderating on the main Canada forum could be a little more heavy handed. It could be a great place but as it stands I believe a lot of people don't bother posting because of some of the replies.

All we can do is try and urge people to get the thread back on track rather than the OP's original question becoming lost amid the religious opinions.
You could delete the post and ask them to take the debate to another part of the forum.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:25 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

You could delete the post and ask them to take the debate to another part of the forum.
Why, this is a perfectly good place to debate the issue..

You do have the option to choose not to read it?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:28 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

It has nothing to do with religion. In fact, I read a thread this morning where someone was asking about good areas to live in Fort McMurray. The first response was "Edmonton". How is that helpful? Why bother answering if you don't know?
That was me. It was a busy morning. One word was all I had time for.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:28 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
What's your opinion Mike? - expose kids to all manner of religions, help them understand the differences and how they relate to history and culture, or make the choice for them at an impressionable age?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeUK

You do have the option to choose not to read it?
I don't think this is a perfectly good place to debate the issue. That is what other parts of the forum are for and I choose not to read them.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

In summary, I think there is room for improvement

That is all.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:40 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this is a perfectly good place to debate the issue. That is what other parts of the forum are for and I choose not to read them.
Feels like you're debating the issue of whether debate should take place within what you perceive to be a debate free zone.

Naughty bgroe
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R I C H
What's your opinion Mike? - expose kids to all manner of religions, help them understand the differences and how they relate to history and culture, or make the choice for them at an impressionable age?
Now you are just making work for the mods

Feels like you're debating the issue of whether debate should take place within what you perceive to be a debate free zone.

Naughty bgroe
You're right! I'm done now. If you are?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:30 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Discussion/debate on...

here in Canada even in rural 'wasp' country religous variety is something you will be exposed too

Me.. I taught my oldest child that some people chose to believe in gods, and that there are many types of gods and religions that go with them, and that he needs to consider that they all believe that they are right and all the others are wrong, but there is a small but real probability that one of them may be right.

He’s goes to the local Christian camp because his friends do, I’ve explain that his Muslim friends see their god and how to worship him differently from his Christian friends, and that his Sikh friends have other gods and prophets that have a completely different set of origins.

He’s doesn’t seem particularly interested in the Gods version of events, but the history seems to appeal and tends to ask bloody awkward questions now about origin of humans and how you knew we were no longer apes, and do apes feel disappointed they haven’t evolved as much as we have..
The youngest just doesn’t give a dam, he thinks he’s the boss and I don’t think he would ever believe in a superior being unless it was him

So yes expose them to as much as possible, tell the facts as best you can warts and all

Grandma took them to church once; they asked a few poignant questions of the vicar and haven’t been invited back
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:46 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say expose kids to all different religions - after all it's all heresay anyway. So it's no different than expecting kids to be open to live their lives by the rules of Enid Blighton (sp?), J K Rowling or any other author of a fictional book.

Just because people who tend to believe in religion get all uppity when those who don't, question it - doesn't mean you can't have your say.

I do actually find it immensley funny when people say "oooh i'll pray for you"
Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

In response to AC's (now deleted - but I saw it and didn't misconstrue it - at least I don't think so) post. People can believe whatever craziness they like, they can be racist or homophobic bastards if they like - it's a free country.

Telling lies to children? I personally think that's wrong, but if that's how parents want to bring up their kids then there's not much I can do about it. Asking me to pay for it though - that's another matter. If people really believe this stuff, they should stump up their own cash for their brainwashing institutions.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 9th 2011 at 10:04 pm.