Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

best bargain ever !!!

best bargain ever !!!

Old May 31st 2011, 2:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best bargain ever !!!

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Oh yes they can - it happened to a friend of ours.
Thats outragous, you sign (or PIN) to authorise the amount stated being charged to your account, no more, no less. I am appalled that it can be changed unilaterally and retroactively. How is that legal?
Old May 31st 2011, 2:58 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

A customer acts in good faith if he takes goods up to the till and offers to pay.

If the retailer's system is unclear or ambiguous about the price, then that's the retailer's problem, and not the customer's fault - especially if that retalier has a reputation for aggressive pricing.

I'd have no problem whatsoever taking the cameras for 50c each.

Rightly or wrongly, I wouldn't feel the same way if it was an independent shop.
Old May 31st 2011, 2:59 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Wow. That's a surprise. I can easily see missing the 'not' - or even assuming it went through - but I imagined that no receipt would actually be produced by the machine in such an instance and its absence would indicate a problem.

Agreed, unless there's something glaringly obvious. I do have a rough idea what what the cost is likely to be though. That helps. Charged $40 when I was expecting $30 made me notice the receipt showed one item twice.

A total of $60 seemed too high on another occasion and 20 items at $2 had been input instead of 2 of them.

And there have been occasions when the wrong grocery item was input. These things result in minor over or undercharging. That's a fact of life and might even out.
How did I get referenced with that??? I didn't say that!!!

The lesson is always check your receipt!
Old May 31st 2011, 3:07 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

I look at it as a case of treating others the same way as you'd like to be treated yourself. It's a fairly slippery slope otherwise, where do you draw the line and having done it once, does the line move?
Old May 31st 2011, 3:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
How did I get referenced with that??? I didn't say that!!!
Ooops. My apologies.

The multiquote didn't work, so I pasted the second part and did the [quoting] thing but put you in as you appeared in the same box as the real one - if you see what I mean.

Knuckles severely rapped.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:23 pm
2aT
Forum Regular

2aT is an unknown quantity at this point

When I stopped to get gas at my local gas bar last Fri there was a new young kid serving...he keyed in $20.00 when it should have been $50.00 and left me to finish the transaction...which I didn't but when he came back into the booth I told him of the error, and he should be thankful that I was honest. The young man went on to thank me and to tell me that the $30.00 would have come out of his pocket and was worth 3 hours or more of pay to him...glad I was honest but could have had that thirty bucks for free would have been nice especially with the high prices these days.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
I look at it as a case of treating others the same way as you'd like to be treated yourself. It's a fairly slippery slope otherwise, where do you draw the line and having done it once, does the line move?
Its not like they set out to get it for 50c

Maybe this is some kind of karmic payback for sometime they got overcharged and missed it Im pretty sure Walmart would not be busting a gut if the roles were reversed.

Last edited by iaink; May 31st 2011 at 3:32 pm.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:30 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ooops. My apologies.

The multiquote didn't work, so I pasted the second part and did the [quoting] thing but put you in as you appeared in the same box as the real one - if you see what I mean.

Knuckles severely rapped.
It's ok. It's just interesting how easy it is to quote other people incorrectly.

Also I have taken a hardened position here (might aswell) so I was waiting for some one to jump on my contradiction. The sort of thing that happens here super quick!
Old May 31st 2011, 3:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2aT
When I stopped to get gas at my local gas bar last Fri there was a new young kid serving...he keyed in $20.00 when it should have been $50.00 and left me to finish the transaction...which I didn't but when he came back into the booth I told him of the error, and he should be thankful that I was honest. The young man went on to thank me and to tell me that the $30.00 would have come out of his pocket and was worth 3 hours or more of pay to him...glad I was honest but could have had that thirty bucks for free would have been nice especially with the high prices these days.
I was in a shop recently to pick up an item on which I'd previously paid a deposit. The girl at the desk asked for the amount of the deposit. "I wish", I said. Still she wanted the deposit amount, rather than the balance, and it took several goes to persuade her to take more money. May I now assume a position of cloying moral superiority?

If so, I think the previous posters have missed the mark, the OP was compromised from the second she entered WalMart. It doesn't matter if she then stole from WalMart or sold crack to the children of the people of WalMart, she was already taking her fat arse and its antlers on the road to perdition.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:11 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Im pretty sure they cant legally do that...

As an aside I cant believe how many people here come over so "holier than thou". This forum is not supposed to be some sort of bullies pulpit.

I felt momentarily guilty yesterday after finding a flat of "own brand" coke under my shopping cart that I had forgotten to lug onto the checkout conveyer. The guilty feeling passes soon when I figured that they had made more than enough profit from me over the years Ive shopped there to cover the cost. Granted it was only a $5 item, but the value is maybe incidental in the moral argument. Its not like the OP set out to rip walmart off.
So if the OP posts a gloating comment about how she stole money only those that agree with her should be posting. She opened the door to what you call bullying.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:16 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Its not like they set out to get it for 50c
Does it make any difference whether it was intentional or not? They know about it now, and went on a website gloating about it.

Im pretty sure Walmart would not be busting a gut if the roles were reversed.
Very true. However I'm sure they would happily refund the difference.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
So if the OP posts a gloating comment about how she stole money only those that agree with her should be posting. She opened the door to what you call bullying.
Yep - I assume Iain was including me amongst those he called bullies, but do I give a s**t? Not really, since I was prompted to post by the OP's, frankly, offensive comment along the lines of we shouldn't bother trying to tell her that any of us would do different or we'd be lying...

I don't consider disagreeing with such a sweeping and blatently wrong assumption - and backing it up with a recent example - as bullying, but there ya go!
Old May 31st 2011, 4:33 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats outragous, you sign (or PIN) to authorise the amount stated being charged to your account, no more, no less. I am appalled that it can be changed unilaterally and retroactively. How is that legal?
It's perfectly legal. Hotels do it all the time.

If a company has your credit card details, they can bill your credit card for services provided. If you think it's fraudulent then you can take it up with your credit card company - but good luck with that if it's an honest mistake being corrected.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:35 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
but good luck with that if it's an honest mistake being corrected.
No argument with that but they could at least have the common decency to inform a person why the extra charges are being levied.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Jesus, it must be the hot weather or something,

It was just a general observation. Im not here to defend the OPs attitude. The bullies know who they are, if you think the comment applies to you maybe it struck a nerve or something... but it probably wasnt you I was taking offence at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.