Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

best bargain ever !!!

best bargain ever !!!

Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best bargain ever !!!

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
In what was did the OP do anything dishonest?
Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
One needs to look to caseload for that. I suggest R v Ghosh!
R. v. Ghosh is about dishonesty... this is nothing to do with dishonesty, it's about (at best) a mistake.
The test of whether something is dishonest is set out in Ghosh and is not as straightforward as most people believe.

Can a mistake void a contract? Depends, of course, on a lot of things, not the least of which is the relative bargaining power of the parties. The retailer has had numerous opportunities to spot and correct its mistake, by the checkout girl and her supervisor (and it now turns out, the security guard too.) Given the relative strength of WalMart and the robust pricing control systems it uses and the multiple opportunities it had to spot any error, it would be unreasonable to hold a customer liable for such an error once the customer has paid for the goods and left the store.
A mistake can invalidate a contract. But, it doesn't appear that there was a mistake in relation to the terms of the contract. A price is an "invitation to treat" which becomes an offer by the purchaser when one presents the goods for purchase, the store accepts then the offer. The minute that happens, I believe, one has a valid contract. Had both parties been stopped at that time, I suspect that both would have said that the price for the goods was $100, as opposed to 50 cents.

What happens in relation to a request for payment is, to a large extent, irrelevant. Forebearance by a creditor does not negate the need to satisfy the debt.

To me, putting "E & OE" on your invoices is just a waste of printers ink.
Bloody hell, I haven't looked a contract law like this for years!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:29 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
This is an interesting thread.

A number of posters here have pilloried the OP for what she did or didn't do.

Yet some of you are posting from work and it appears you have no problem stealing time from your employers as you surf the net and post on forums.
I work for a Live Blogging company- I actually think I should get a payrise for all the extra research I do when I'm not at work
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

So it now begs the question:
  1. Did she fess up and pay the difference?
  2. Donate the ill gotten gains to charity?
  3. Keep the dosh and hide in a corner somewhere?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:56 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
She already told us it was number 3.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:57 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JamesM
I work for a Live Blogging company
Of course you do bunky...and I'm Stephen Harper trawling for ideas on immigration.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:23 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Of course you do bunky...and I'm Stephen Harper trawling for ideas on immigration.
Nice to meet you Mr President!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:26 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JamesM
Nice to meet you Mr President!
Prime Minister to you sonny.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Why a 'live' blogging company me wonders, presuming there are no dead ones, why not just a blogging company?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:43 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator
My guess is kept the money and is getting on with her life
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The test of whether something is dishonest is set out in Ghosh and is not as straightforward as most people believe.

A mistake can invalidate a contract. But, it doesn't appear that there was a mistake in relation to the terms of the contract. A price is an "invitation to treat" which becomes an offer by the purchaser when one presents the goods for purchase, the store accepts then the offer. The minute that happens, I believe, one has a valid contract. Had both parties been stopped at that time, I suspect that both would have said that the price for the goods was $100, as opposed to 50 cents.

What happens in relation to a request for payment is, to a large extent, irrelevant. Forebearance by a creditor does not negate the need to satisfy the debt.

Bloody hell, I haven't looked a contract law like this for years!
And part payment of a debt is no consideration - if I remember my first year contract law correctly.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
And part payment of a debt is no consideration - if I remember my first year contract law correctly.
Pinnel's case, I believe