Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best areas - Calgary

Best areas - Calgary

Old May 2nd 2012, 6:51 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best areas - Calgary

Originally Posted by lynsey3333
We think we like the look of mckenzie lake area, looks very family friendly and close to work, he might even be able to get the bus which we never even thought about?!?
Not that I'm knocking your idea exactly but water = mosquitoes, bugs here are a lot more aggressive than in the UK. Bear it in mind. Also the flood plain: http://calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Document..._CITY_8x10.pdf

It does flood in Calgary occasionally.

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/video...l?v=2229782051
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

lynsey3333 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had not thought of that so thank you.

This may seem a daft question but do you need to live within the communities to use their facilities..... Ie community centers etc. my little girl is my priority and so I need to make sure we have plenty at our disposale. This is why places like mckenzie lake appeal.

I saw a house further north (still se though) quite a lot cheaper but much bigger. If we went for something a little out from these kind of communities, then would we lose out in the other benefits...... Hope that makes sense.

Lynsey
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynsey3333
I had not thought of that so thank you.

This may seem a daft question but do you need to live within the communities to use their facilities..... Ie community centers etc. my little girl is my priority and so I need to make sure we have plenty at our disposale. This is why places like mckenzie lake appeal.

I saw a house further north (still se though) quite a lot cheaper but much bigger. If we went for something a little out from these kind of communities, then would we lose out in the other benefits...... Hope that makes sense.

Lynsey
The lake communities have passes. While you can visit if you are with a pass holders, you cannot enter without one. Each community sets its own fees, most are in the region of $180 per family.

There are lots of non-lake community centres. I doubt very much that any of your little ones will have a lack of things to do within Calgary.

Most communities have tennis courts, basketball courts, etc that are free to use.
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that, it answers my concerns really, as our little one is only 8 months and so I feel I need a community based area as my way in to meet people etc, and hopefully build myself a social life around her.

I feel if I was outside of this then I may find this harder, as I'm not really someone who finds things like that too easy. If I'm part of a community then I'm assuming it'll be easier.

Lynsey
Old May 3rd 2012, 4:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of the reasons I suggested Shawnessy because of the rec centre, generally yes you have to live there to use the resident stuff, but given that a lot of it is nothing special the real problem in reality is the lack of proper rec centres (i.e. ones owned by the city rather than the community where you live) and Shawnessy has one. http://www.sfcra.com/

But tbh you can get to Southland Leisure Centre from anywhere in the SE relatively easily.

Calgary is famous for having more parks, dog facilities and whatnot than other cities but in reality the main thing anyone moving to Calgary needs to know is that there are on average 190 days a year with temperatures below freezing... not that it is freezing all day on those days but it emphasizes the importance of being able to do things indoors.

Which is why the largest indoor shopping mall in North America is in Edmonton.
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
This is one of the reasons I suggested Shawnessy because of the rec centre, generally yes you have to live there to use the resident stuff, but given that a lot of it is nothing special the real problem in reality is the lack of proper rec centres (i.e. ones owned by the city rather than the community where you live) and Shawnessy has one. http://www.sfcra.com/

But tbh you can get to Southland Leisure Centre from anywhere in the SE relatively easily.

Calgary is famous for having more parks, dog facilities and whatnot than other cities but in reality the main thing anyone moving to Calgary needs to know is that there are on average 190 days a year with temperatures below freezing... not that it is freezing all day on those days but it emphasizes the importance of being able to do things indoors.

Which is why the largest indoor shopping mall in North America is in Edmonton.
This centre is not owned by the City of Calgary.

Except, of course, one cannot use that Rec Centre unless one is a member of it. We live in Somerset and have been unable to enrol our kids in the swimming lessons that that Rec centre due to the lessons being offered to members first. That's why our kids swim in Okotoks or other centres in Calgary.

Your point about Calgary being as cold as you allege is not my experience of the city. Your suggestion that one has to play indoors for more than 6 months of the year is also not my experience. I don't doubt that, between September and May, there may be days when, at night, the temperature dips below zero, when the temperatures are well above zero during the day.

In essence, those with kids in Calgary will find that there are very few days every year when they are unable to play outside simply because of the temperature. Kids have to play outside during recess and lunchtimes at school unless the temperature drops below minus 18.

With the greatest of respect, your post is a little misleading.
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:24 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Kids have to play outside during recess and lunchtimes at school unless the temperature drops below minus 18.
Lightweights its -23c in Edmonton!
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Lightweights its -23c in Edmonton!
It's minus 20 at the elementary school my youngest goes to but I believe it can be as low as minus 18 at others.

Edmontonians are obviously made of sterner stuff
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:40 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Calgary is famous for having more parks, dog facilities and whatnot than other cities
That's an interesting claim. I'd suggest it's famous for the Stampede, beef and oil. I don't think many non-Calgarians would espouse the city for its famous dog facilities.
Old May 8th 2012, 3:51 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
This centre is not owned by the City of Calgary.
Uh, true, I don't use that one.

Your point about Calgary being as cold as you allege is not my experience of the city. Your suggestion that one has to play indoors for more than 6 months of the year is also not my experience.
I didn't say that, I said:
not that it is freezing all day on those days but it emphasizes the importance of being able to do things indoors
Which is not the same thing. What I'm saying is there is a greater need to be able to do things indoors than you would be used to coming from Europe, which is true. The WEM being the ultimate example, although admittedly it's even colder in Edmonton.

It is a fact that there are 190 days on average where the temperature gets below freezing and 4 days on average where it is above 30 C.

However that's not the most important statistic even then, Alberta is classed for the most part as semi-arid, it's extremely dry for many months of the year. Even if you can stand the cold coping with the dryness is the problem I have principally. Coming from Europe you wouldn't be used to it.
Old May 8th 2012, 4:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by R I C H
That's an interesting claim. I'd suggest it's famous for the Stampede, beef and oil. I don't think many non-Calgarians would espouse the city for its famous dog facilities.
It's in all the realtor blurb, Fish Creek park is the biggest park in any N American city, more pathways than any other city, loads of places to walk your dog, blah blah.

The slight snag being of course that it's pretty damn cold for a large chunk of the year, so I see these people wrapped up like arctic explorers in January dragging their shivering dogs around who look decidedly unhappy.

One thing I can never wrap my head around is why dog ownership is so popular in Calgary. And not small dogs either, people living in condos with Alsatians.

Cats have to be kept on your property pretty much unless you're taking them to the vet, otherwise your local coyotes have more to eat.

Personally I think if it weren't for dogs and hockey as a topic to start conversation the birth rate in most of Canada (certainly Alberta) would be nil.
Old May 9th 2012, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

I was just going to put a thread up here to ask for areas in Calgary.
Thanks folks saved me the bother and lots of info also this is great.
Does anyone know a decent not so pushy real estate agent we can get in touch with over there.
We might be moving over that way ourselves so would like to get an idea on prices and what you get for your $$$ Thanks in advance
Old May 9th 2012, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Some has been helpful..... Some not so much, but I at least know where to focus our search...... I think.

I'm looking forward to the change in climate, lived in Singapore for 2 years, home for 1 where its rrrrubish, grey n miserable....... I
Can't wait to make the move now!!
Old May 9th 2012, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

We love living on the west side of town in Coach Hill. Great community, lots of amenities and essentials, quick commute to downtown, quick access to the mountains and we're just about to get the LRT coming our way later this year.