Reload this Page >

Beloved iphone

Wikiposts

Beloved iphone

Old May 6th 2010, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

d20awy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beloved iphone

I have an iphone in the UK. I'm going to suspend my UK contract whilst I'm away in Vancouver for a year so that's ok(ish).

However, does anyone know if you can unlock the iphone and then I could get a canadian line rental and sim to put in it?

Or could i just get a new iphone on line rental in Canada and then flog my old one on ebay or keep it for when one inevitably breaks. What's the current cost of the iphone in Canada and what are the line rentals like? I understand the mobile phone industry is a bit different to how it is in the UK.

Ta!
Old May 6th 2010, 4:28 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beloved iphone

I got a 32gb iphone this week on contract from Rogers. $99 for the phone, 3yr contract, $36.00/month 1.5 GB Data Service Plan. 300 free anytime minutes p/mth.
Old May 6th 2010, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by d20awy
I have an iphone in the UK. I'm going to suspend my UK contract whilst I'm away in Vancouver for a year so that's ok(ish).

However, does anyone know if you can unlock the iphone and then I could get a canadian line rental and sim to put in it?

Or could i just get a new iphone on line rental in Canada and then flog my old one on ebay or keep it for when one inevitably breaks. What's the current cost of the iphone in Canada and what are the line rentals like? I understand the mobile phone industry is a bit different to how it is in the UK.

Ta!
Hi
What UK network are you with, if its O2 on a contract they will unlock your iphone for free.
Good chance Apple will unveil the new iphone 4g in June if like me your an apple fan boy/girl (buy owt thats new & shiny) may pay to hold fast on signing a new contract just yet .

Last edited by joinerboy; May 6th 2010 at 4:43 am.
Old May 6th 2010, 4:38 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta!
Yes, you can get it unlocked. I brought mine and got it done, but then, like a numpty, I updated the software a couple of months ago and it's bricked. Cant even use it as an iPod.
Old May 6th 2010, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

lucyloo86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I just moved here and did the same thing. To unlock the iphone, go to the O2 website, there is a link to request it. They should do it for free. I got a sim card from Rogers for about $10 I think on a monthly plan which gives me data allowances etc. Just be aware that the sim wont work until you get the phone home and re-sync it with itunes. Hope this helps!
Old May 6th 2010, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Yes, you can get it unlocked. I brought mine and got it done, but then, like a numpty, I updated the software a couple of months ago and it's bricked. Cant even use it as an iPod.
Hi
Did you just have a software unlock (snowbreeze) ? o2 is an official hard unlock so you can undate in itunes and it wont re-lock even if you undate in itunes, have you tried the new Spirit jailbreak it may help. Normally holding down the power & home button together sends the iphone into dfu mode and then linking it to itunes and try a factory restore you've probably tried all the above already i would imagine

Last edited by joinerboy; May 6th 2010 at 4:55 am.
Old May 6th 2010, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Sal_Lee is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Beloved iphone

Ta!
so pleased to see this thread as I have just bought an unlocked i-phone and was worried whether it would work once we got to Canada ......

but having read these posts as long as I dont update software to the 3.1.3 version I can use a canadian sim in it so pleased as I my i-phone
Old May 6th 2010, 6:13 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
I got a 32gb iphone this week on contract from Rogers. $99 for the phone, 3yr contract, $36.00/month 1.5 GB Data Service Plan. 300 free anytime minutes p/mth.
That sounds appealing, any free texts in that? I have a Blackberry but I think I would like an iPhone more.
Old May 6th 2010, 6:19 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
That sounds appealing, any free texts in that? I have a Blackberry but I think I would like an iPhone more.
No idea Fled, I can't remember when I last sent a text. My employer pays for the phone, contract and monthly bills so I didn't research the package much as it was a transfer from my previous Blackberry contract.
Old May 6th 2010, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I sent this thread to my wife as she has just purchased an IPhone through Telus. I don't know if that plan is BC specific but she didn't believe what was posted. Apologies. It may be that your employer has the clout to negotiate such a package.
Old May 6th 2010, 6:22 am
Account Closed

No idea Fled, I can't remember when I last sent a text. My employer pays for the phone, contract and monthly bills so I didn't research the package much as it was a transfer from my previous Blackberry contract.
Ah, thanks anyway no doubt googling will find the answer. Do you prefer the iphone to the blackberry??
Old May 6th 2010, 6:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I sent this thread to my wife as she has just purchased an IPhone through Telus. I don't know if that plan is BC specific but she didn't believe what was posted. Apologies. It may be that your employer has the clout to negotiate such a package.
Oh thanks for that. No employer funding for my phone sadly so am open to all suggestions. I use the BB as it seems to be the best way to get gmail and text. I have started using voice calls but the sound quality on the BB isn't very good.
Old May 6th 2010, 6:26 am
Pea Brain

Ah, thanks anyway no doubt googling will find the answer. Do you prefer the iphone to the blackberry??
We've had an ipod touch for a year or more at home, so I'm familiar with the functionality already. The Blackberry I found a pain to type on, and the comparative lack of apps made it feel a little limited in terms of scope, but it was a perfectly functional tool for work purposes. The iphone adds entertainment glitz on top.
Old May 6th 2010, 6:28 am
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It may be that your employer has the clout to negotiate such a package.
I suspect so - it's all done through a central purchasing process here and the deals seem somewhat better/more flexible than regular stores offer.
Old May 6th 2010, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect so - it's all done through a central purchasing process here and the deals seem somewhat better/more flexible than regular stores offer.

My OH almost shot me when I told her. She spent forever researching all the deals and deciding on the best one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.