Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

being a childminder in canada

being a childminder in canada

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:21 pm
Lets all go to Calgary

Kev and Katrina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default being a childminder in canada

Hi, I`m currently an Ofsted registered childminder and am thinking about childminding in Calgary ( or surroundings) when we get there.
Has anyone got any tips on how I would register as a childminder once I`m out there and is there any demand for them?
Many thanks Katrina.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: being a childminder in canada

Hi both,

My sister and her daughter run a child-minding business and are busy prepping for their latest Ofsted inspection, (or whatever the auditing process involves).

This WIKI article (you've probably read it) gives some clues.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Childcare_Options-Canada

This link looks like it could be fruitful in getting more info...
http://www.calgaryfamilydayhomes.com/

Page 4 (in particular) of this might give a few leads on regulation although the document looks quite dated.
http://www.childcarecanada.org/ECEC2001/AB.pdf

This link might be useful for checking out potential competitor offerings.
http://www.canadachildcaredirectory.com/AB_Cities.htm

Sorry we haven't specifically answered the question but a few promising leads perhaps??? Hope so.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548555
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:24 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Well judging by the comments of friends if you are both British trained and a registered childminder you will not have a shortage of business!!!

Good luck
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:07 pm
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sutton Coldfield UK until I return to Toronto 2009 or earlier!!
JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kev and Katrina
Hi, I`m currently an Ofsted registered childminder and am thinking about childminding in Calgary ( or surroundings) when we get there.
Has anyone got any tips on how I would register as a childminder once I`m out there and is there any demand for them?
Many thanks Katrina.
Hello Katrina, here is a link for you I worked with this company in their HO they are a national home childcare agency so Iam sure they will have a branch in your area....good luck www.weewatch.com
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:52 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kev and Katrina
Many thanks Katrina.

In cochrane you would be able to get plenty of work. We do not have OFSTED inspections here (I have not even heard the word for 6 years!!)

You can put your name with the local family and community resource centre, but basically you register a home base buisness, with the local council, and then advertise and start work.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
In cochrane you would be able to get plenty of work.

You can put your name with the local family and community resource centre, but basically you register a home base buisness, with the local council, and then advertise and start work.
Following on from what Helen has said (and I completely agree that the market is out there!) I think it is relatively easy to get set up too. And you can apply for a $500 grant (in Cochrane anyway) to put towards set up costs, toys, equipment or whatever. Insurance is not too bad, only a couple of hundred dollars I think.

Two recent arrivals that I know who have done this however, both did a 10-week (Saturdays) course - I shall try and obtain details. I don't know if this was a voluntary "because I haven't done it before" type of course, or a pre-requisite for opening up your own day home. I shall try and report back!
Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:12 pm
Lets all go to Calgary

Kev and Katrina is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to you all for your quick replies.

The other half was out there in July for his Police testing and particularly liked Cochrane so that could be one the main areas we will be looking at.

I`m just trying to get all my possibilities covered as if I go out to work four kids will cost me a fortune in childcare costs just like it would here.

Katrina
Old Sep 28th 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Red Robo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Following on from what Helen has said (and I completely agree that the market is out there!) I think it is relatively easy to get set up too. And you can apply for a $500 grant (in Cochrane anyway) to put towards set up costs, toys, equipment or whatever. Insurance is not too bad, only a couple of hundred dollars I think.

Two recent arrivals that I know who have done this however, both did a 10-week (Saturdays) course - I shall try and obtain details. I don't know if this was a voluntary "because I haven't done it before" type of course, or a pre-requisite for opening up your own day home. I shall try and report back!
Hi Anne I was interested in childminding. Didi you manage to find any information about the courses one can take please
Old Sep 29th 2008, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Robo
Hi Anne I was interested in childminding. Didi you manage to find any information about the courses one can take please
Hi - No I haven't - but now you have reminded I shall get right on it!! I'll report back shortly
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lots of relevant information in this article, published this week in one of the local Cochrane newspapers ....

Bow Valley College run the relevant courses.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

GetCarter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

There was an article about Cochrane childminders in the local paper this week. Hopefully this link will take you to it

http://www.cochranetimes.com/Editorial/420049.html

If it doesn't do a search for Cochrane Times the 01 October 2008 edition, the title of the piece is "Day home agency numbers still growing".

Hope that helps, Cohrane is a lovely town to live in we have been here 7 months now with our 4 children and everyone is happy and settled.

Mrs GetCarter
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Getting There
Hi both,

My sister and her daughter run a child-minding business and are busy prepping for their latest Ofsted inspection, (or whatever the auditing process involves).

This WIKI article (you've probably read it) gives some clues.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Childcare_Options-Canada

This link looks like it could be fruitful in getting more info...
http://www.calgaryfamilydayhomes.com/

Page 4 (in particular) of this might give a few leads on regulation although the document looks quite dated.
http://www.childcarecanada.org/ECEC2001/AB.pdf

This link might be useful for checking out potential competitor offerings.
http://www.canadachildcaredirectory.com/AB_Cities.htm

Sorry we haven't specifically answered the question but a few promising leads perhaps??? Hope so.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Hi can you still child mind if you are on a TWP? or do you have to wait until you have PR status.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

oops!

should have read ann m's post before I went and found the paper! sorry for repeating the info

Mrs GC
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

now I cant even see the first reply I posted, you must think I'm mad, I had sent a post repeating the article ann m mentioned, and about how we liked Cochrane, we have been here 7 months now.

So I will go and finish sorting out the children's dinner, and stop posting
Mrs GC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.