British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Being able to teach in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/being-able-teach-canada-424061/)

graemestuart99 Feb 4th 2007 8:20 am

Being able to teach in Canada

Hi Folks
I want to follow the Canadian dream, my and my wife are teachers in secondary schools and my subject ICT & Business and my wife teaches PSE & RE. We both have degrees and Post Graduate Certificates in Education. Have been thinking about emmigrating from this country for ages to try and give out kids a better upbringing, but reading stories i hear that being able to teach with british teaching qualfications is a knightmare. Are there any teachers out there or people in the know who can shed any light on this for me. Any advice would be gratefully received. :confused:

Thanks for reading
Graeme Stuart

Tangram Feb 4th 2007 10:37 am

Re: Being able to teach in Canada

Originally Posted by graemestuart99 (Post 4362146)
Hi Folks
I want to follow the Canadian dream, my and my wife are teachers in secondary schools and my subject ICT & Business and my wife teaches PSE & RE. We both have degrees and Post Graduate Certificates in Education. Have been thinking about emmigrating from this country for ages to try and give out kids a better upbringing, but reading stories i hear that being able to teach with british teaching qualfications is a knightmare. Are there any teachers out there or people in the know who can shed any light on this for me. Any advice would be gratefully received. :confused:

Thanks for reading
Graeme Stuart

Try Tom Masters, I believe Mrs TM is a teacher, and as far as I can tell, it ain't easy.

Atlantic Xpat Feb 4th 2007 2:05 pm

Re: Being able to teach in Canada

Teaching as with so much in Canada is regulated Provincially. So the requirements for Ontario may well differ from those in Alberta or BC. My wife is a Canadian teacher and she believes that UK teaching qualifications in general are not recognised here and you would have to do some additional training. Similar to a Canadian teacher needing to obtain QTS in the UK.
Google for teachers, dept of education etc in each province for the detail.

Another factor to consider is that teaching is a unionised profession where seniority is everything. Those with the most seniority have more chance of the plum jobs. So be prepared to start off with substitute (supply) teaching and move through replacement to the holy grail of a permanent position. A key consideration therefore for a family where both the earners are teachers is how do you keep body & soul together if it takes time for either of both of you to get into full time employment.

Some provinces will be easier to get into than others. For example here in Newfoundland there is an oversupply of teachers for the availble positions so getting a job (even for a Canadian) is challenging. In the local paper here there are frequently adverts for school boards in the more rural parts of Alberta, NWT etc looking for teachers. If you were of a more adventurous bent then this might be a way in to gain experience.

AX