Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

'Been there, done that ...?'

'Been there, done that ...?'

Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:31 pm
Hopefully :)

CampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant future
Question 'Been there, done that ...?'

Does anyone have any recommendations for potential neighborhoods / communities to stay / visit and potentially live in (equally ones to avoid) whilst we're on Vancouver Island for our reccie in August - particularly in relation to Victoria and surrounding towns and to Cowichan Valley?

Would like to find base in and around Victoria (and another in Cowichan Valley) that is a) central enough to allow us to visit / experience the various other neighborhoods / communities that we hope you will recommend (and which we therefore might end up living in) and b) close to the touristy things that we'd like to do on our 'days-off' with the kids i.e. trails, beaches, lakes, gardens, fruitfarms, Beach BBQ, camping, kayaking, whale watching, fishing etc. (again recommendations much appreciated for a 7, 4 and 18 month old.)

Also, what would be best options for keeping accommodation costs down at any recommended base locations i.e. house / apartment rental etc??? Does anyone know of any good listings / recommendations / people who are looking to rent out their house?

Lastly - thinking of renting a motor-home for a week to go further afield / sell kids on the whole Canadian outdoors / lifestyle things - anyone able to provide a list of must see places / RV parks to give a good impression - again in Cowichan Valley - maybe further afield???

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Been there, done that ...?'

Try Colwood to be as close to all as possible.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:54 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Been there, done that ...?'

Originally Posted by CampbellsRComing
thinking of renting a motor-home for a week to go further afield / sell kids on the whole Canadian outdoors / lifestyle things - anyone able to provide a list of must see places / RV parks to give a good impression - again in Cowichan Valley - maybe further afield???

Thanks in advance
I think Tofino is beautiful & worth a visit ..... it takes us 2-3hrs to get there from Nanaimo (gotta make the Port Aberni do'nut stop eh!!) probably just luck but I've seen bears at least 50% of the times I've gone there

Also the kids might enjoy the chair lift at Mt Washington http://www.mountwashington.ca/summer...hairlift_rides or Wildplay if you're feeling brave www.bungyzone.com

Last edited by bananahammock; Apr 20th 2009 at 5:05 pm.