Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Been here a few days - phew!

Been here a few days - phew!

Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice
Default Been here a few days - phew!

After three years waiting for our PR visa, we arrived in Ottawa a few days ago and I thought I'd share some of our experiences:

LANDING
After a 7.5-hour flight we queued for 15 minutes to show our passports then went to Immigration, where we handed over our visas and forms, answered a few questions and showed our proof of funds (a letter from HIFX confirming a transfer to our HSBC Canada account). All was in order, thankfully, and the whole process was straightforward. On to customs, where we showed our B4(E) and mover's inventory. All OK. Welcome to Canada!

SETTLING IN
We're renting a hotel suite for a month while we settle in and look for work. I'm in the middle of a job application process which I started in the UK, and while we wait to discover if I've got the job, we've obtained our SINs and are now getting to explore the city. It's quiet, spotlessly clean and very friendly, although we've had to speak slowly so that people can understand our (slight Welsh) accents. HSBC has put us in touch with a realtor who is looking for homes outside the city for us, in areas like Carleton Place, Almont, and Arnprior, but buying will have to wait until I've got a job.

CONCLUSIONS
It's been a mindblowing experience so far with so much to take in.

On the downside:
Calling home on mobiles was ridiculously expensive so now we're using Euroshade calling cards.
We have to hunt for a Tescos-like supermarket in the city centre to keep bills down.
We were going to hire a car for a few days to explore but have been alarmed by the price, etc.

On the upside:
Cars are not quite as expensive to buy as we expected, but we'll wait until I've got a job.
Portions in restaurants are enormous.
The people are very pleasant.
The bus network is excellent (although it can be hard to understand the drivers).
Scenery around the city is lovely.

I've had to appreciate that we can't get everything we want (job, house, car) in just a few days, and we have to take it one day at a time. Every day has taught us something (everything is further away than you think, Second Cup serves a great hot chocolate) and we have to be patient.

BE has been a great source of information during our long wait to get to this point, and if anybody has any advice on how to make our first few weeks go smoothly, I'd love to hear it.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:42 am
Im strange but not scary!

city4 is a jewel in the roughcity4 is a jewel in the roughcity4 is a jewel in the roughcity4 is a jewel in the roughcity4 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Been here a few days - phew!

Congrats on the big move!!!!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:59 am
Just Joined

ericbaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Welcome to Canada! We've been living in Kanata since Oct 2008 and so far the whole experience has been mind-blowing. You've definitely made the right move and in no time you'll get a job and settle in. We've also moved from Wales (Aberystwyth) and can associate with the having to speak slowly! With regards to phoning home, and I guess this will be more appropriate once you've settled into your new home, is to use SKYPE. It costs around $9.99 per month for any landline in the world - just got to make sure you have internet connection and mobile calls will cost approx 30cents. Not sure if you've sorted out your driving licences, but that was a fairly simple process and you've got 6 weeks to transfer them over and it costs approx $70. Plus side is that you don't have to take a test! You've probably know what else needs to be done but shout if you need any help. We're still getting used to the way of life here, but it's definitely a better lifestyle. PS. For Tesco like super-markets I would say that either Loblaws or Independent grocers are the closest thing, but for 'cheaper' everyday basics there's Food Basics. Depending on where you're going to be working, Arnprior, Carleton Place etc is about 20 mins from Kanata and if working downtown, it can take anything from 40-60 mins each way...depending on traffic. Good luck
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grendel
After three years waiting for our PR visa, we arrived in Ottawa a few days ago and I thought I'd share some of our experiences:

LANDING
After a 7.5-hour flight we queued for 15 minutes to show our passports then went to Immigration, where we handed over our visas and forms, answered a few questions and showed our proof of funds (a letter from HIFX confirming a transfer to our HSBC Canada account). All was in order, thankfully, and the whole process was straightforward. On to customs, where we showed our B4(E) and mover's inventory. All OK. Welcome to Canada!

SETTLING IN
We're renting a hotel suite for a month while we settle in and look for work. I'm in the middle of a job application process which I started in the UK, and while we wait to discover if I've got the job, we've obtained our SINs and are now getting to explore the city. It's quiet, spotlessly clean and very friendly, although we've had to speak slowly so that people can understand our (slight Welsh) accents. HSBC has put us in touch with a realtor who is looking for homes outside the city for us, in areas like Carleton Place, Almont, and Arnprior, but buying will have to wait until I've got a job.

CONCLUSIONS

On the downside:
Calling home on mobiles was ridiculously expensive so now we're using Euroshade calling cards.
We have to hunt for a Tescos-like supermarket in the city centre to keep bills down.
We were going to hire a car for a few days to explore but have been alarmed by the price, etc.

On the upside:
Cars are not quite as expensive to buy as we expected, but we'll wait until I've got a job.
The bus network is excellent (although it can be hard to understand the drivers).

I've had to appreciate that we can't get everything we want (job, house, car) in just a few days, and we have to take it one day at a time. Every day has taught us something (everything is further away than you think, Second Cup serves a great hot chocolate) and we have to be patient.

BE has been a great source of information during our long wait to get to this point, and if anybody has any advice on how to make our first few weeks go smoothly, I'd love to hear it.

Grendel,

Congratualtions on your landing in Canada, I would agree with much what you have said there. There are some downsides but in the 5 weeks I have been here I have seen far more to the upside and I can see a great future, but like you, I must be patient! I think sometimes I seem to think I should be settled and have everything with in a month or two....but if you take a minute to think about it, common sense prevails, I think the the problem is, is that the 5 weeks seems like 5 months!

Oh and yes I do agree there can be a language barrier at times! where ever your from in the UK! a lot of it can just be terminology!

One thing I have found out today, that I consider an utmost priority for living in Canada....you may already have one...and that is a credit card, one for building your credit history, and basically just to buy things other than at a store or restuarant....for example to buy things on line, I used to use my
UK debit card, and today I tried to hire a car......no chance...if YOU want to drive the car then YOU must have a credit card in YOUR name to leave as a deposit, I even activated my UK debit card to see if they could use that... but no, i offered to pay it all in cash and leave a cash deposit.....no. I offered them the option of my friend to use his Canadian card, but that was a no too, as the name on the card and the named named driver must be the same. I suppose a UK credit card would do (even tho that wont build your Canadian credit history, but I havent a UK credit card either, I dont believe in the things - I ran up debt when I was younger on a credit card and said I would never have one again....but its a MUST have in Canada, I had a lot of fun today (NOT) and never did get to hire a car to get to ny evening class, but I learned that I must have a credit card ASAP....

Glad youre settling in well, you have made the right decision, Ive had a few annoying things happen the last few days, but its nothing in the scheme of things, and once you start to learn the different ways do and donts... - again its all about time and patience! Canada is a great country.

All the best

Paul

Ps Another silly little downside....decent cheese is astronomically expensive! Why?? I remember before I came here I used to buy a 300g block of mature Canadian cheddar in Tescos for 2.50? I saw a block in Zhers the other day for $16!!!!!! how do they work that out! an 8quid block of cheese!!!! As I said tho in the scheme of things...its just not important, just found it a bit perplexing! there is so much other good food and snacks to explore and eat!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to Ottawa!

Have you found the Metro and Loblaw supermarkets on Rideau St? We shopped at the Metro when we were staying downtown during our Ottawa recce. The Loblaws looks bigger and should be cheaper. There's a big liquor store down there as well.

Are hire cars really that expensive? I had a quick look on expedia.ca and found something for approx. $35/day for a two week rental with Enterprise. Seems reasonable to me. Whatever the cost is, I don't think you can properly explore the area without a car, especially as you are looking to live out in the sticks. I personally would have budgeted for hiring a car immediately and buying/leasing ASAP.

BTW, what's the attraction of Arnprior, Carleton Place etc? Are you going to explore some Ottawa neighbourhoods as well?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:06 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

LANDING

SETTLING IN

CONCLUSIONS

On the downside:

On the upside:

all the best for your new life in Canada
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

Thanks everyone for the replies.

We'll be hiring a car soon to explore the area, but our budget means we'll be looking for somewhere outside the city; that's why we're considering Carleton, Arnprior, etc. They look nice and property is affordable.

It's nice to know I'm not the only person who's tried to get everything sorted out in the first few days. It's obviously completely unrealistic and we have to take it one day at a time.

I know we've made the right decision in leaving the UK, but it's a lot to get your head round and we're looking forward to what the future might bring.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
if YOU want to drive the car then YOU must have a credit card in YOUR name to leave as a deposit, I even activated my UK debit card to see if they could use that... but no, i offered to pay it all in cash and leave a cash deposit.....no.
If your UK debit card was a VISA they would have accepted that without any problems. A couple of times I've rented a car from Hertz and National from Toronto Airport with my Barclays Bank VISA debit card and there were no issues at all. I didn't say "this is a debit card, is that a problem?" at any time...
Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
If your UK debit card was a VISA they would have accepted that without any problems. A couple of times I've rented a car from Hertz and National from Toronto Airport with my Barclays Bank VISA debit card and there were no issues at all. I didn't say "this is a debit card, is that a problem?" at any time...
It was a VISA Barclays connect card too, im sure i have used it before in place of a credit card on a previous reccie, but this time 3 car hire companies refused to accept it. I did think of not hi lighting the fact that it was a debit card - as if you do, they then automatically think its like a Canadian debit card. However it has "debit" written on it...but my mistake was probably saying is this ok?. I should have just handed it over! I can be too honest at times! and shoot myself in the foot.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Jul 9th 2009 at 2:01 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:08 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulation, so far do good.

As far as car prices go, be aware there is a bunch of tax to add to the price you see, more so for new vehicles (deliver charge, air con tax, gas guzzler tax, GST, PST, etc...) It can add a significant amount overall.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

alwar is an unknown quantity at this point

LANDING

SETTLING IN

CONCLUSIONS

On the downside:

On the upside:

Hi we land at the end of the month trying to lease house but its alot of hassles ,is it expensive to rent a hotel suite , there is 5 of us.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Alwar,

We're staying at the Albert at Bay, where a one-bedroom suite costs about $3,000 for a month. We can't fault it so far. There are other hotels that have suites, such as the Crown Plaza, but I don't know how much they cost.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:12 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I suppose a UK credit card would do (even tho that wont build your Canadian credit history, but I havent a UK credit card either, I dont believe in the things - I ran up debt when I was younger on a credit card and said I would never have one again...
Originally Posted by bodgerx
You guys are crazy. Get a credit card and use it for ALL of your card purchases without exception and then just pay it off every month if you don't like being in debt. I may be being paranoid, but I just don't trust any retailers with cards that link directly to my bank account and therefore my money (maybe that's cos I live in Vancouver which is rife with card fraud).
Old Jul 10th 2009, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You guys are crazy. Get a credit card and use it for ALL of your card purchases without exception and then just pay it off every month if you don't like being in debt. I may be being paranoid, but I just don't trust any retailers with cards that link directly to my bank account and therefore my money (maybe that's cos I live in Vancouver which is rife with card fraud).
Yeah, I can see where your coming from Alan, having learnt my lesson with credit cards in general, I would have one again now (and pay it off at the end of the month) and in any case, as I have said, Ive GOT to have one now living in Canada as their debit card system doesnt work like it does in the UK. And......importantly I take your point about fraud....let the credit card bank take the hit, not my money in my bank account!!!! here here....!!! banks may aswell be useful for something.....other than the cause of the global recession were all in now! ....... yeah Alan totally agree!! infact if you were here now Id buy you a cold beer!!

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Jul 10th 2009 at 3:12 am.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
What's the difference? A card is a card. The details can be stolen regardless. My credit card and my debit card both have insurance schemes in case of fraud. Does that make me crazy?

Incidentally, I have been a victim of card fraud once, and it was my credit card not my debit card where the details were stolen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.