Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Been here a few days - phew!

Been here a few days - phew!

Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

londonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Been here a few days - phew!

Cool stuff and congratulations

For one of your downsides (Phone Calls), have you considered using Skype. Even if your family or friends are not using it you can set up an account that cost £2.95 per month and with that you can call any uk landline for as long as you want.

Cheers and good luck
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:31 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
What's the difference? A card is a card. The details can be stolen regardless. My credit card and my debit card both have insurance schemes in case of fraud. Does that make me crazy?

Incidentally, I have been a victim of card fraud once, and it was my credit card not my debit card where the details were stolen.
Oh - the risk of them being stolen is the same (or maybe slightly greater for a credit card). However, which of these would you rather be dealing with

- $10,000 of the credit card companies money being spent
- $10,000 of YOUR money being taken from YOUR bank account

I know which one would cause me the least stress.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Oh - the risk of them being stolen is the same (or maybe slightly greater for a credit card). However, which of these would you rather be dealing with

- $10,000 of the credit card companies money being spent
- $10,000 of YOUR money being taken from YOUR bank account

I know which one would cause me the least stress.
The insurance would cover me either way.

Either way, if there was an issue, credit or debit, the bank wants the money in the end.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 3:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
The insurance would cover me either way.

Either way, if there was an issue, credit or debit, the bank wants the money in the end.
From experiences that people I know have had in the past - sorting out debit card fraud can end up with having to report it to the police, listing exactly what transactions are fraudulent (and practically having to prove it), and then moving the account to a new number and all the hassle that comes with that - also while it's being sorted out you might have no cash for your day-to-day living expenses. Whereas, you should know yourself that sorting out the credit card is just one or two phone calls and that's it.

And as for 'the bank wants it's money in the end'. That's partly true, but the cost of fraud for a credit card is already built into the interest rate you pay - they expect a certain percentage, and write most of it off.

I guess you pays your money and makes your choice, you can gamble with your money, I'll do it with someone else's. Especially as the price for my peace of mind is just getting a different card out of my wallet.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 5:52 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grendel
Alwar,

We're staying at the Albert at Bay, where a one-bedroom suite costs about $3,000 for a month. We can't fault it so far. There are other hotels that have suites, such as the Crown Plaza, but I don't know how much they cost.
Welcome to the city! If you are at that end of Bay St, then have you been to the Hartmans supermarket on Bank St in Centretown? AFAIK is the largest one in that area although more expensive than other supermarkets it is a 'proper' one rather than a glorified convenience store. Other than that, you could consider a taxi home from your weekly shop if you want to get lower prices, although obviously you'd factor in the cost of the taxi.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:33 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

For phone calls I use:

http://www.justdial.ca/

Lots of national (and international) access numbers. Top up online. You can register phones so that no pin is required. 2.5c to the UK. Very reliable and decent customer service (the once I needed it).

I found this a lot better than some of the cards you can buy which advertise low rates but with the access fees per call etc quickly add up.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:54 am
Just Joined

buddles is an unknown quantity at this point

After three years waiting for our PR visa, we arrived in Ottawa a few days ago and I thought I'd share some of our experiences:

LANDING
After a 7.5-hour flight we queued for 15 minutes to show our passports then went to Immigration, where we handed over our visas and forms, answered a few questions and showed our proof of funds (a letter from HIFX confirming a transfer to our HSBC Canada account). All was in order, thankfully, and the whole process was straightforward. On to customs, where we showed our B4(E) and mover's inventory. All OK. Welcome to Canada!

SETTLING IN
We're renting a hotel suite for a month while we settle in and look for work. I'm in the middle of a job application process which I started in the UK, and while we wait to discover if I've got the job, we've obtained our SINs and are now getting to explore the city. It's quiet, spotlessly clean and very friendly, although we've had to speak slowly so that people can understand our (slight Welsh) accents. HSBC has put us in touch with a realtor who is looking for homes outside the city for us, in areas like Carleton Place, Almont, and Arnprior, but buying will have to wait until I've got a job.

CONCLUSIONS
It's been a mindblowing experience so far with so much to take in.

On the downside:
Calling home on mobiles was ridiculously expensive so now we're using Euroshade calling cards.
We have to hunt for a Tescos-like supermarket in the city centre to keep bills down.
We were going to hire a car for a few days to explore but have been alarmed by the price, etc.

On the upside:
Cars are not quite as expensive to buy as we expected, but we'll wait until I've got a job.
Portions in restaurants are enormous.
The people are very pleasant.
The bus network is excellent (although it can be hard to understand the drivers).
Scenery around the city is lovely.

I've had to appreciate that we can't get everything we want (job, house, car) in just a few days, and we have to take it one day at a time. Every day has taught us something (everything is further away than you think, Second Cup serves a great hot chocolate) and we have to be patient.

BE has been a great source of information during our long wait to get to this point, and if anybody has any advice on how to make our first few weeks go smoothly, I'd love to hear it.
Congratulations Grendel

Hubby and I make the big move to Nova Scotia on Saturday, so its nice to hear that things are going well for you. We are staying in a furnished apt in downtown Halifax for first month, this will give us time to find somewhere to stay more permanently. I hear what your saying about the rental car prices, we have rented one for two weeks from this side of the water which was really expensive but a necessity. Good luck with everything and it sounds as if you have the right attitude to help you settle in, hope we are as lucky.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:34 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Been here a few days - phew!

After three years waiting for our PR visa, we arrived in Ottawa a few days ago and I thought I'd share some of our experiences:

LANDING
After a 7.5-hour flight we queued for 15 minutes to show our passports then went to Immigration, where we handed over our visas and forms, answered a few questions and showed our proof of funds (a letter from HIFX confirming a transfer to our HSBC Canada account). All was in order, thankfully, and the whole process was straightforward. On to customs, where we showed our B4(E) and mover's inventory. All OK. Welcome to Canada!

SETTLING IN
We're renting a hotel suite for a month while we settle in and look for work. I'm in the middle of a job application process which I started in the UK, and while we wait to discover if I've got the job, we've obtained our SINs and are now getting to explore the city. It's quiet, spotlessly clean and very friendly, although we've had to speak slowly so that people can understand our (slight Welsh) accents. HSBC has put us in touch with a realtor who is looking for homes outside the city for us, in areas like Carleton Place, Almont, and Arnprior, but buying will have to wait until I've got a job.

CONCLUSIONS

On the downside:
Calling home on mobiles was ridiculously expensive so now we're using Euroshade calling cards.
We have to hunt for a Tescos-like supermarket in the city centre to keep bills down.
We were going to hire a car for a few days to explore but have been alarmed by the price, etc.

On the upside:
Cars are not quite as expensive to buy as we expected, but we'll wait until I've got a job.
The bus network is excellent (although it can be hard to understand the drivers).

I've had to appreciate that we can't get everything we want (job, house, car) in just a few days, and we have to take it one day at a time. Every day has taught us something (everything is further away than you think, Second Cup serves a great hot chocolate) and we have to be patient.

BE has been a great source of information during our long wait to get to this point, and if anybody has any advice on how to make our first few weeks go smoothly, I'd love to hear it.

Hi Grendel,

Thanks for such a great post - some really useful stuff in there! Good luck with your new life in Canada
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biiba
Hi Grendel,

Thanks for such a great post - some really useful stuff in there! Good luck with your new life in Canada
Bit late joining this thread - but welcome to Ottawa. See you in the Heart and Crown for the RBC Six Nations in the spring.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snave
Bit late joining this thread - but welcome to Ottawa. See you in the Heart and Crown for the RBC Six Nations in the spring.
Sorry drifting off this thread a bit but do you get much coverage of the six nations here in Canada?

Sorry for hi jacking the thread Grendel!

Paul
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Alwar,

We're staying at the Albert at Bay, where a one-bedroom suite costs about $3,000 for a month. We can't fault it so far. There are other hotels that have suites, such as the Crown Plaza, but I don't know how much they cost.
Hello and welcome to Ottawa, crap weather eh? Should be warming up tomorrow though.

If you have a laptop and free internet you should buy yourself a headphone and microphone and set yourself up on SKYPE asap and make ALL your phonecalls for a couple of pennies.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: originally from Portchester, Nr Fareham UK now Braeside, nr Arnprior, Ontario and loving it!
Martian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant future

Hi, I am new to the site and I realise that this thread is a few months old but we are moving to Arnprior around March/April time and I wanted to get in touch with other expats that are in or around that area.
So how is life in canada and where did you eventually settle? We are very excited about our move and completely fell in love with arnprior when we came to investigate in the summer.

Thanks

J.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Martian75
So how is life in canada and where did you eventually settle? We are very excited about our move and completely fell in love with arnprior when we came to investigate in the summer.
We had a good look at Arnprior, but fell in love with the Carleton Place area, and bought a house about 10mins west of it, close to Hwy 7 on the way to Perth.

Drop us a line if you need any advice.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

If it helps - I use Yak to call home (and for LD) from my cell phone for years, about 29c/min to the UK, and the Yak call back is great if you have unlimited incoming calls:

Rates: http://www.yak.ca/product/yak-cell/great-rates
Call back: http://www.yak.ca/product/yak-cell/how-it-works

Cheers - Steve

LANDING

SETTLING IN

CONCLUSIONS

On the downside:

On the upside: