Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

been here 2 weeks

been here 2 weeks

Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

djchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nice
Default been here 2 weeks

Hi we have been here 2 weeks now and after having the mad rush to go out and buy everything new electrical we are now hoping to relax and enjoy the snow and sunshine. We used Simpsons removals for our move great quote and excellent service both ends would highly reccomend them to anyone, didnt realise that you needed a Canadian driving licsense to get insurance so now hoping that I can exchange my UK one in Kitchener Monday as I have bought a cheap car and as everyone knows you have to have a car to get around especially out here in Elora where there is no public transport
so far so good 3rd stage interview Tues so hopefully some money will be coming in soon
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:21 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: been here 2 weeks

Originally Posted by djchighlander
didnt realise that you needed a Canadian driving licsense to get insurance
Not for those coming to BC, any valid license will do.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

LynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the rough

Ontario Drive Test Centres still on strike I think - unless urgent for offers of employment etc. You may get away with it. Otherwise they are suggesting continuing on out-of-state licenses. I arrived in Waterloo in Summer and am still waiting to be able to trade in my UK license. Been three times to the Kitchener centre on Ottawa St. I'm on hubby's insurance though.

PS. Welcome to K-W!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

djchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nice

Originally Posted by LynseySmith
Ontario Drive Test Centres still on strike I think - unless urgent for offers of employment etc. You may get away with it. Otherwise they are suggesting continuing on out-of-state licenses. I arrived in Waterloo in Summer and am still waiting to be able to trade in my UK license. Been three times to the Kitchener centre on Ottawa St. I'm on hubby's insurance though.

PS. Welcome to K-W!
will let you know how i get on Monday, hope its good news
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

LynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the rough

will let you know how i get on Monday, hope its good news
Just checked....Hubby got insured for our car with TD insurance on UK license before he exchanged his.

Best of luck. And can you let me know if they are doing the UK/Ontario license exchanges and vision tests as standard, or if exceptional circumstances. I don't want to drag my two-year old down there a third time, to not be seen again!

Cheers, Lynsey
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

emmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to all

Hi

We have also been here two weeks. We managed to get car insurance through Johnson Incorporated as recommended by someone in a previous thread on here with our English licences and they took into account our no claims so gave us the maximum 6 years. Result
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Just checked....Hubby got insured for our car with TD insurance on UK license before he exchanged his.

Best of luck. And can you let me know if they are doing the UK/Ontario license exchanges and vision tests as standard, or if exceptional circumstances. I don't want to drag my two-year old down there a third time, to not be seen again!

Cheers, Lynsey
walked into ottowa street license centre 15 minutes later walked out with Ontario license no problems just said that i wanted to exchange uk license did eye test paid 75cdn job done I was well chuffed
good luck hope they do the same for you
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

walked into ottowa street license centre 15 minutes later walked out with Ontario license no problems just said that i wanted to exchange uk license did eye test paid 75cdn job done I was well chuffed
Great news - I better get sorted asap! Thanks
Old Dec 15th 2009, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: been here 2 weeks

Hi we have been here 2 weeks now and after having the mad rush to go out and buy everything new electrical we are now hoping to relax and enjoy the snow and sunshine. We used Simpsons removals for our move great quote and excellent service both ends would highly reccomend them to anyone, didnt realise that you needed a Canadian driving licsense to get insurance so now hoping that I can exchange my UK one in Kitchener Monday as I have bought a cheap car and as everyone knows you have to have a car to get around especially out here in Elora where there is no public transport
so far so good 3rd stage interview Tues so hopefully some money will be coming in soon
I

Welcome to Southern Ontario - I hope your very happy here and enjoy your Canadian white christmas!!

Last edited by Karen1203; Dec 15th 2009 at 6:05 pm. Reason: didn't read the thread properly!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Got it lunch-time today. Really quiet and was
in and out in 15 mins too. My toddler slept
through it! Thanks again. Lynsey.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

ClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really nice

Originally Posted by emmae
Hi

We have also been here two weeks. We managed to get car insurance through Johnson Incorporated as recommended by someone in a previous thread on here with our English licences and they took into account our no claims so gave us the maximum 6 years. Result
How much are you paying, and for what, if you don't mind me asking?

ClanickP
Old Dec 20th 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ClanickP
How much are you paying, and for what, if you don't mind me asking?

ClanickP
Hi i also got insurance through Johnsons gave me 6 years good driving record cost 127 dollars a month, more than half cheaper than other quotes also included roadside assistance and 1 free accident
Old Dec 20th 2009, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Got it lunch-time today. Really quiet and was
in and out in 15 mins too. My toddler slept
through it! Thanks again. Lynsey.
great stuff glad it helped you