Wikiposts

Bedding

Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold
Default Bedding

Hi all can anyone tell me is it worth bringing our beds/bedding to Canada when we move or are the sizes different? I've got it into my head Canadian bed sizes are different from UK ones, so we wouldn't be able to buy new bedding to fit. Am i right?
Tia Jo xx
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:20 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bedding

Originally Posted by joelsa
Hi all can anyone tell me is it worth bringing our beds/bedding to Canada when we move or are the sizes different? I've got it into my head Canadian bed sizes are different from UK ones, so we wouldn't be able to buy new bedding to fit. Am i right?
Tia Jo xx

Ok what sizes are your beds?

see http://www.quickguides.net/mattresssizes.htm

P.S we didn't bring our bunk beds and regretted it.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Strass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joelsa
Tia Jo xx
Hi Jo
Yes, you're right. All the bedding here is larger - twin, double etc.
It's not worth trying to squeeze yours on - I've been there!
If you have UK king size they may fit queen size here. Have a look on the IKEA Canada site for bed sizes over here.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Except that Ikea sell non-standard beds.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Strass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Can't you just tell that I've only been here a shortish time!!!
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

They may be some sort of European standard but I suspect that they just want you to have to buy more stuff from Ikea. I can't find anything about standard Canadian bed sizes by googling so, I suppose, I'll measure the bed tonight. Need any other dimensions ? We also have chairs, tables, a sofa and a dog.

Oh. There's a good link already.

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 1st 2005 at 8:33 am. Reason: Saw link above.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:02 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

canadian beds are a different size. UK single is smaller than a CDN Twin. UK double is smaller than a CDN queen. We took our UK double bed and couldn't get bedding anywhere and had to get family to send/bring out. When we came back to UK we brought queen bed back and thankfully UK king seems to fit reasonably well. If I was doing it again I wouldn't take UK beds to canada.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:15 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That used to be true, but I thought IKEA made a decision a few years ago to go with the flow and switch to standard North American bed sizes in its North American stores.

That seems to be born out by its Canadian web site. One of its mattresses that I looked up was available in the following sizes:

King : 202 cm long x 193 cm wide

Queen : 202 cm long x 152 cm wide

Full ( = Double) : 189 cm long x 135 cm wide

Twin ( = Single) : 189 cm long x 98 cm wide

The web site that Grah provided quotes standard North American mattress sizes that are so close to IKEA's as to be identical for all practical purposes. I have converted the inches quoted on that web site into centimetres.

King : 203 cm long x 193 cm wide

Queen : 203 cm long x 152 cm wide

Double (IKEA calls it Full) : 203 cm long x 137 cm wide

Twin / Single : 190 cm long x 99 cm wide

So my conclusion is that standard North American sheets would fit the mattresses that IKEA sells in North America.

This does nothing to contradict the point that UK beds are incompatible with the standard sizes in which North American bed linens are supplied. It merely indicates that IKEA's North American web sites and catalogues are reliable indicators of North American bed and mattress sizes, and also that beds and mattresses purchased at IKEA's North American stores would be compatible with standard North American bed linens.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Apr 1st 2005 at 9:23 am.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:24 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.csgnetwork.com/bedsizes.html

Standard Bed Sizes Table

This table is an effort at providing standard information about bed sizes. They are not always standard. Below you will find bed styles and sizes for the United States and bed styles and sizes for the United Kingdom and related territories. If you are aware of other sizes that are what could be termed as, standard, for any country, please let us know.

Be aware that bed names vary in different countries, different cultures and even different parts of the same country. In fact they may differ in both name and size specifications from one manufacturer to another. What we have provided is a generally accepted standard. Make sure you make measurements so that you will have no difficulty in finding bed linens that will both fit and be suitable to you.

USA Bed and Matress Sizes
Name Width Length Space Per Person Comments
Twin / Single 39" 75" 39" x 75" Small, for one adult; good selection for guest accomodations
Twin Extra Long 39" 80" 39" x 80" Bed linens can be difficult to locate and purchase
Full / Double 54" 75" 27" x 75" Wide enough for a large adult or two small adults
Queen 60" 80" 30" x 80" Best selection for two adults but possibly too small for some
King 76" 80" 38" x 80"
California King 72" 84" 36" x 84" Not as wide but longer than a standard King
UK Bed And Mattress Sizes
Name Width Length Space per person Comments
Single 36" 75" 36" x 75" Small, for one adult; good selection for guest accomodations
Double 54" 75" 27" x 75" Wide enough for a large adult or two small adults
King 60" 78" 30" x 78"
Super King 72" 78" 36" x 78"

Version 1.0.1
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that is better about UK bedding is the pillow cases. They all have that little flap thingie that tucks in and stops the pillow falling out of the pillow case. Pillow cases are not like that here - they are just open at the ends.

I only have two Canadian pillow cases and I don't like them. Its just that they came with a sheet set.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 6:20 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
One thing that is better about UK bedding is the pillow cases. They all have that little flap thingie that tucks in and stops the pillow falling out of the pillow case. Pillow cases are not like that here - they are just open at the ends.

I only have two Canadian pillow cases and I don't like them. Its just that they came with a sheet set.
Actually they do have pillow cases with flaps here. They are called pillow cases. The open ended pillow covers that came with your sheet set are called pillow shams.

I think the general idea is that you put real pillow cases onto pillows that you use for sleeping. Then you put the pillow shams onto a pair of pillows that you toss on top of the bed for decoration.

If you say that sounds crazy, I'll be the first to agree with you.

Anyway, I just wanted to reassure you that you can find "real" pillow cases here.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm bringing a UK superking. As far as I can see there is only 4 inches difference between that and a Canadian King - so I won't buy fitted sheets and will just tuck the extra in. It shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone know about pillows? Are they the same size or shall I charity shop my lovely one here?

Biiiiink
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I'm bringing a UK superking. As far as I can see there is only 4 inches difference between that and a Canadian King - so I won't buy fitted sheets and will just tuck the extra in. It shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone know about pillows? Are they the same size or shall I charity shop my lovely one here?

Biiiiink
I have bought pillow cases, king duvet covers and single duvet covers here which have fitted our UK pillows and duvets no problems. So you can keep your lovely one
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you buy your English style pillowcases? I have looked everywhere here and I have never ever seen any with those flap things. Otherwise I would buy some here!

All the pillow shams that I have looked at have kind of a slit across the middle of the back where you shove the pillow in. Maybe I am looking at the cheap shops!
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

"So my conclusion is that standard North American sheets would fit the mattresses that IKEA sells in North America."

Fair enough. I last looked at buying beds in the mid-eighties, it was a problem then. In the end we just bought mattresses from chain stores (very cheap if you don't need the box spring bit) and put them on the floor. Later we bought antique beds with more chain store mattresses. I think all the bedding came from overstock.com but it only had to fit the mattresses since none of the frames are standard anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.